Tire replacement questions - 1929 Model 135

Jrbrks

I will turn the spreader as both of the above folks suggest and try again.

I guess my issue is whether there is something I may have done wrong.  

As the rim is clearly offset at the center seam, I am wondering if it is binding somehow on something?

Wheaties are worth a try, but I am doubtful they will improve my skills.

Jim

Make sure the tire beads are all the way down onto the rim. Changing the rim jack position, as f147pu mentioned is a must.

And even then, some brands of tire beads are a bit tighter on the rim, and/or, not as easily stretched enough, so you sometimes need to get a spoon tool, or large screw driver with the sharp edges polished off,  into the rim joint and lever it into alignment so that it will pop into place as the rim jack is forcing it out into a great circumference.  And yeah, some tires need a lot of pushing the rim with the rim jack.

Paul

Here's a diagram I found online some time ago when I was looking for instructions on how to use the Rim Tool on my Franklin wheels. The first two diagrams show the labelling of the tool legs and positions on the rim.

Putting it back together is a mention in the paragraph about getting it a part - the paragraph that starts with "Second Operation..."

1805876453_ScreenShot2018-09-10at1_57_03PM.thumb.png.11c7a42f1edab9cb20e92e49c47d1733.png

Cheers

Roger 

• Like 1

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts, suggestions and advice.

It has really helped, as I now have all four new tires mounted.

There is some issue with the “problem” rim, I provided pictures for above.  It appears slightly twisted and can not be fully aligned, even with the tire completely removed.  It just seems a little bit off center (or something??).

When I mounted the tire on a different rim, I had no issues.  It did help to rearrange the rim tool for expanding the rim, as suggested above.

For the “problem” rim, there was nothing I could do to get the rim to fully expand and mate properly on both sides.

Thanks again for all the terrific advice.  

While I am somewhat slow, mounting new tires, tubes and flaps on these collapsible rims is not that difficult for a complete novice, once you have access to the information in this thread.

I may see if I can locate a tire or wheel repair shop that could evaluate my “problem” rim and perhaps adjust it to be useful, once again.

Jim

1 hour ago, Jrbrks said:

I may see if I can locate a tire or wheel repair shop that could evaluate my “problem” rim and perhaps adjust it to be useful, once again.

I guess it's too late now, but it might have been worthwhile measuring around each rim if you closed it before putting the tyre and tube on - see if they were the same circumference between the one you couldn't close with the tyre on, and one that you could close with the tyre on.

Roger

I think there are too many good rims available to worry about repairing one. Also the cost of repairing the damaged rim would probably cost more than another rim would cost. I'm sure there are many club members that would help you obtain another rim.

Bill   

FYI,

For Franklin Club members, there is a reprint of the Pacific Rim Tool Company instructions at the Club's website, in the members only section. It's in "Franklin Service Station Newsletter". - the third category down under "Franklin Publications".    It's Franklin Service Station #156, June 2017, pages 4 thru 7. 

Rather detailed on how to deal with problem split rims. Worth printing off a copy to keep with your rim tool.

Paul

13 hours ago, Jrbrks said:

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts, suggestions and advice.

It has really helped, as I now have all four new tires mounted.

There is some issue with the “problem” rim, I provided pictures for above.  It appears slightly twisted and can not be fully aligned, even with the tire completely removed.  It just seems a little bit off center (or something??).

When I mounted the tire on a different rim, I had no issues.  It did help to rearrange the rim tool for expanding the rim, as suggested above.

For the “problem” rim, there was nothing I could do to get the rim to fully expand and mate properly on both sides.

Thanks again for all the terrific advice.  

While I am somewhat slow, mounting new tires, tubes and flaps on these collapsible rims is not that difficult for a complete novice, once you have access to the information in this thread.

Jim

Sometimes the rims go out-of-round, or get twisted and that makes them difficult to get a tire on and close. A comparison of the diameter at several points around the rim will tell you if it's gone egg-shaped.   I've had to reshape a few "pothole customized" split rims and snap rings over the years to get them to close properly.  Any shop with a hydraulic press can bend it back to be a near-perfect circle so it's usable again.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)