Jrbrks

Tire replacement questions - 1929 Model 135

I have been running Firestones on Packards - nice tire and love the period tread pattern. 

Interesting discussion on Custom Classics - they use to be a fabulous tire - sounds like various "runs" over years have decreased their quality.

I have been running Firestones on Packards - nice tire and love the period tread pattern. 

Interesting discussion on Custom Classics - they use to be a fabulous tire - sounds like various "runs" over years have decreased in quality.

Interesting discussion on Custom Classics - they use to be a fabulous tire - sounds like various "runs" over years have decreased in quality.

On 6/10/2018 at 8:40 AM, Jrbrks said:

Am I able to use 7.00 x 19 tires on a 1929 Model 135?

I do not have sidemounts.

I have the wood wheels with collapsible rims.  The car currently has 6.50 x 19.

Would the 7.00 x 19 be any more difficult to mount than the 6.50 x 19 on my current collapsible rims?

Thanks

I would not put such a large tire on a 135. The only reason it works well on the 163, is the larger fenders. I think they would look too big on your car.

20 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

I put Custom Classics on the rear of my truck back in the sixties when Bob Green was selling them.  They were worn out in7500 miles.  Bob said that the rubber was compounded for long term appearance properties rather than tread life.  There is nothing special about that tire, the Lee mold was the only 6.50x19  in existence back then and there are photos from the thirties with them on cars (as well as other brands) so bingo, Lees are the only correct tire.  Baloney.

On 6/14/2018 at 7:36 PM, f147pu said:

I put Custom Classics on the rear of my truck back in the sixties when Bob Green was selling them.  They were worn out in7500 miles.  Bob said that the rubber was compounded for long term appearance properties rather than tread life.  There is nothing special about that tire, the Lee mold was the only 6.50x19  in existence back then and there are photos from the thirties with them on cars (as well as other brands) so bingo, Lees are the only correct tire.  Baloney.

Custom Classics:  Whitewalls with 3 rings - 20 years and 6K miles on them and still had "tits"  - and then won CCCA Primary 99.5 points (they came from Lucas Tire if I recall).  Bought 2 more and next owner ran car another 16K miles before putting on 2 new fronts.

By the way, the difference is we have a race shop here in town that specializes in problematic alignments:

Performance Alignment

www.performance-alignment.com/experience.htm 
Experience Performance. Bill Braucksick, Master ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) certified technician, is recognized as one of the Greater Cincinnati Area's 

"Bill Broxic 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)