Tire replacement questions - 1929 Model 135

Jrbrks

I would appreciate advice on what I am clearly missing in replacing an inner tube and tire.

I made my first attempt to replace a tire  (19 inch split rim on a wood wheel) on my 1929 Model 135.

Removing the wheel, collapsing the rim, removing the top bead of the tire and then removing the inner tube was very straightforward.

What I could not determine was how to remove the bottom bead of the tire to completely remove the tire from the rim.

The problem was the flap.  The flap extends well up into the tire and is very stiff.  I could not get the flap outside of the bottom tire bead, such that I could then lever under the bottom bead of the tire to remove it from the rim.

And, the flap is far to stiff and fit the rim too tight to pull it out.  Given the existing tire was 6-ply, the tire itself provided little "give", but I do not think I could have removed the flap, in any event.

Ultimately, I had to cut the tire in half to remove it from the rim (The tire was already torn and completely unusable, so at least I did not ruin an otherwise usable tire).

As I mentioned, the flap fits the rim very tightly and the sides extend at least two inches of the top of the rim.  The flap itself is very stiff and  in very good condition.  It looks new (I know it is not).

I simply can not believe this was engineered to be this difficult.  I realize I must be missing something obvious.

As I need to put a different tire and tube onto this rim, I would appreciate advice on how to do this properly.

My questions:

1) I realize that I will slightly inflate the inner tube and place it in the tire before levering the rear bead of the tire onto the rim.  I presume that I leave the flap on the rim (I think it would be difficult to lever it onto the rim with the tire and tube, but I do not know)?  If so, what is the proper way to get the flap under the rear bead of the tire?

I have the proper 3-armed Franklin tool for collapsing and then expanding the rim.  Otherwise, I am using pry bars and large screwdrivers.

2) If I am to remove a tire to replace or repair tubes or tires in the future, what is the proper method to remove the bottom bead of the tire from the rim?  How do you get the sides of the flap away from the bottom bead to lever under the bead and remove the tire from the rim?

Do any of you trim the sides of the flaps, so they do not extend so far into the side of the tire.

Thanks for any guidance.  This is really puzzling me.

Jim

With the tire off the rim you inset the tube into the tire and then the flap into the tire.  The long sides on the flap should prevent you from pinching the tube when you mount the tire.  The rim might be collapsed enough to mount the tire by just using a little soap or rubber lubricant and using your hands (most rims I have seen are like this).

Otherwise you need (and should only use) two or three proper tire spoons.  Not modern tire irons like the ones used to murder people.  With the rim on the ground and starting at the valve stem press the tire over the lip into the rim.  When you can no longer do this with your hand or by stepping on the tire use the spoons to lever the tire into place.

Pull the valve stem through the hole in the rim and repeat the process of working the tire over the rim edge the same way as the first side.

Expand the rim, make sure the stem is straight and inflate the tire.

With practice you can jack the car up, remove the rim and tire, collapse the rim, change the tire, tube and flap, remount and replace the rim on the wheel and have the car back on the ground in no more than 15 minutes.

iu9VDGL7NE.jpg

iuO2IZS21A.jpg

There is some good period instructions on tire removal from split rims in the Franklin news letter number 156, June 2017 located on the members only section of the Franklin website. To fix a puncture in a tube you must remove the tire, tube and flap as a complete assembly from the rim when ever you are working with split rims or rims with rings. The only type of rim that you can remove and repair a tube without removing the complete tire is a drop center or depressed center rim and Franklin didn't use any of those.

Bill 

• 1 month later...

I have a further question for removing the tire, tube and liner from the split rim.

My question:

When attempting to remove the tire from the split rim:

1) am I trying to remove the tire from the rim? 

or.........

2) am I trying to remove the rim from the tire?

I can get the top bead of the tire off the rim, but I am having a very difficult time removing the bottom bead (with the flap and tube) from the rim to free the entire tire, tube and flap assembly as a single unit.

I still feel I am missing something obvious?

Thank you

Jim

Your removing the rim from the tire. It sounds like your not pulling the rim inside itself far enough with the rim tool. It really isn't that hard to remove the rim from the tire, tube and flap assembly. Remember that after you pull the rim inside it's self with the rim tool you do not take the tool off the rim before removing it from the tire. Some times you may need to re-position the rim tool, but it's used to hold the rim in smaller for ease of removal from the tire.

Bill

Thank you, Bill

It helps to know that I am removing the rim from the tire.

I was concerned to potentially bend the rim by pulling in too far, and I did remove the tool before trying to remove the tire.

I will follow your advice, and I should have better luck.  

Thanks again.

Jim

I thought you may appreciate this - and these are the more easy lockring type - 1932 Packard Twin Six 7 Passenger Sedan.  Car got a new set of 6 - Bedford Double Whitewalls.

No, not a Lumber Jack or Paul Bunyan, but a rather surprised (did not see my camera coming) James from Grismere Tire in Downtown Dayton. He was just coming back from a truck roadside repair when I called and begged for help. Problem was the tires were 8 ply truck and could have stood on their owwn without air - HAAAAAAAAARRRRD as a Rock. The bead on each tire excepting the one original Firestone spare was almost 1 1/2 inches thick each (not much room when you also have an area on a 4 1/2 inch rim that has a metal valve stem through it. James had all the proper tools and basically resorted to brute force. He spent nearly 3 hours to demount 6 tires.

post-42000-143138073345-1488553841-tbn.jpg

John, I've never had that much trouble with lockring rims. BUT, I've never had to deal with 8 ply tires and narrow rims and I don't ever wish to. The thing that worries me the most is inflating them. I know it's only 35-40 PSI but a lockring can be deadly even at that. You need a lock on extension air hose and plenty of room (or a cage which is better).

Bill

On 5/13/2018 at 4:08 PM, hook said:

John, I've never had that much trouble with lockring rims. BUT, I've never had to deal with 8 ply tires and narrow rims and I don't ever wish to. The thing that worries me the most is inflating them. I know it's only 35-40 PSI but a lockring can be deadly even at that. You need a lock on extension air hose and plenty of room (or a cage which is better).

Bill

Take them to a truck tire store with a cage and have them inflated.  And, if you do yourself do not do anything fast and do not face the ring - even the commercial tire guys reach around from the backside.  By the way - new tires were not mounted that day on the Packard - wheels were restored, lock rings replated, and ..... (and they were inflated  in a cage !).

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, John_Mereness said:

Take them to a truck tire store with a cage and have them inflated.  And, if you do yourself do not do anything fast and do not face the ring - even the commercial tire guys reach around from the backside.  By the way - new tires were not mounted that day on the Packard - wheels were restored, lock rings replated, and ..... (and they were inflated  in a cage !).

No need for a cage or other contraptions. Many car owners already have a cheap, portable, and safe method in their car,........ their tow rope or strap.

After the snap ring is in place, lace a 1/2 nylon rope snuggly around the tire and rim, also passing it between the spokes. Make at least a dozen or more turns spaced out around the tire.  Tie the ends off and inflate the tire. If the ring should come loose the 1/2 inch rope is more than strong enough to retain it and prevent you getting hit with it.  

Paul

As PFitz says or put the wheel flat on the ground under the brake drum and lower the car down until the brake drum sits on the wheel.  We should all try to be more specific when we talk about "split rims" or wheels with "lock rings".  Most truck tire places talk about "split rims" when the really mean wheels with "lock rings".  True split rims (crosswise split) are as safe as anything to change but "lock rings" are more dangerous than anything you will work with on your/our antique car.

Paul, 

Thanks for the tip about using a tow rope. I've been using a length of chain for protection, but your way is a lot less scratchy.

My goal this summer is to put new tires, flaps and tubes on my '21 9B touring. I've done two tire repairs before. The first time it took me hours and hours and hours (my pride won't let you know how long it actually took). The second time took only about 2-3 hours. This time, I'm ready. I'm counting on only 1 hour per wheel.

You actually have to do the job a few time before you understand what everyone is trying to tell you. And then it's simple.  It's a Zen thing.

You are one with the lock ring.

21 hours ago, RansomEli said:

Paul, 

Thanks for the tip about using a tow rope. I've been using a length of chain for protection, but your way is a lot less scratchy.

My goal this summer is to put new tires, flaps and tubes on my '21 9B touring. I've done two tire repairs before. The first time it took me hours and hours and hours (my pride won't let you know how long it actually took). The second time took only about 2-3 hours. This time, I'm ready. I'm counting on only 1 hour per wheel.

You actually have to do the job a few time before you understand what everyone is trying to tell you. And then it's simple.  It's a Zen thing.

You are one with the lock ring.

Split rings I don't mind, but I used to hate having to wrestle and curse with the early split rims. Zen I got a split rim tool and now I'm a lot more Karma. 

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

Paul, I'm with you on that. My first bout with split rims on a 30 Chevy without the rim tool back in the sixties when I was a teenager. My thought then was "what idiot invented these things?" Then I learned about the tool and got one. What a revelation! It's amazing how well things go with the right equipment.

Bill

Having used the great advice provided to learn to remove and reinstall tires, tubes and flaps........

I am now requesting recommendations for new tire and tube purchases for my 1929 Franklin Model 135?

Questions for tire size 6.50 x 19:

1) Preferred dealers?  

I have no previous experience or bias with any of the classic tire dealers. I live in California and could potentially pick the tires up from dealers in the state, eg Lucas tire.

2) Preferred brand of tire?

Is there any chance of something being manufactured in the U.S.?

3) Preferred supplier of tubes?  

Is there a quality tube supplier available?  

I see tubes priced between $27-$58.  Are they different?

I have read that some folks have used modern light truck tire tubes, but I do not know, if such would exist in the 19 inch size?

Any thoughts or experience?

4). Whitewall or Blackwall?

I have read the new whitewalls are

poorly made and the whitewall begins to immediately discolor to tan and can not be readily bleached to white?

5). Potential to request tires recently manufactured?

I have read that some suppliers will ship “new” tires that are already several years old.

Thoughts or experiences to avoid this?

6). I saw an offering of a radial in this size?

Is a radial a viable consideration

for this vehicle?  

I have the wood spoke wheels on my car.  I do not have overdrive or different rear end gears, so my cruising speed seems to only be approximately 41 mph.

I am not trying to go the cheapest route and would like to do tire changes and repairs as little as possible.  I can now do the repairs, but it still requires an hour or more per wheel.

I will be regularly driving my car.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Jim

1) I bought mine from Lucas tire                                                                                                                                                                                                                      2) Custom Classic                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  3) New tubes are junk compared to old ones but you really do not have a choice .                                                                                                                  4) Blackwall                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              5)Yes you want new tires                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    6)I think Excelsior and another company makes radials in that size. I  do not know anything about them. I think a couple club members have them on their cars. Hopefully they will answer .                                                                                                                                                                             This is what I did on my 29  130.  Just my thoughts . Have a great day 

Get blackwalls. Franklins were never flashy cars and they just look better. 

From experience, new inner tubes can fail within 100 miles. It can be your fault if you installed them improperly, but even if you did everything correctly the stem can sheer off. Make sure you keep receipts. When I brought my claim to the tire dealer (nationally known) he expressed absolutely no surprise, like it happens all the time. 

I will need tires soon for my '29, so I'm also interested in the responses you get. The car had whitewalls when I bought it but I'm going for blackwalls. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 7:14 PM, odat said:

How do you like the firestones?

Checking opinions for the 32

I've had 7.00-19 Firestones on my '32 for quite some time now. I really like the way the larger tires look. I don't have side mounts, and so don't have to worry about them fitting in the wells.

The car had Custom Classics prior, and they were terrible tires. They look great, but they follow ruts in the road, and generally handle poorly. They also cupped very early and were noisy, worn bald in under 10k miles.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Steve Braverman said:

I've had 7.00-19 Firestones on my '32 for quite some time now. I really like the way the larger tires look. I don't have side mounts, and so don't have to worry about them fitting in the wells.

The car had Custom Classics prior, and they were terrible tires. They look great, but they follow ruts in the road, and generally handle poorly. They also cupped very early and were noisy, worn bald in under 10k miles.

I totally agree on the Custom Classic tires. Best thing I did on the truck was to get away from them.  Now have 6.50x19 Lesters on the front with much less front wheel hunting by steering that has a mind of its' own.

Am I able to use 7.00 x 19 tires on a 1929 Model 135?

I do not have sidemounts.

I have the wood wheels with collapsible rims.  The car currently has 6.50 x 19.

Would the 7.00 x 19 be any more difficult to mount than the 6.50 x 19 on my current collapsible rims?

Thanks

On 6/10/2018 at 8:40 AM, Jrbrks said:

Am I able to use 7.00 x 19 tires on a 1929 Model 135?

I do not have sidemounts.

I have the wood wheels with collapsible rims.  The car currently has 6.50 x 19.

Would the 7.00 x 19 be any more difficult to mount than the 6.50 x 19 on my current collapsible rims?

Thanks

I would not put such a large tire on a 135. The only reason it works well on the 163, is the larger fenders. I think they would look too big on your car.

20 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

I have been running Firestones on Packards - nice tire and love the period tread pattern. 

Interesting discussion on Custom Classics - they use to be a fabulous tire - sounds like various "runs" over years have decreased in quality.

I put Custom Classics on the rear of my truck back in the sixties when Bob Green was selling them.  They were worn out in7500 miles.  Bob said that the rubber was compounded for long term appearance properties rather than tread life.  There is nothing special about that tire, the Lee mold was the only 6.50x19  in existence back then and there are photos from the thirties with them on cars (as well as other brands) so bingo, Lees are the only correct tire.  Baloney.

On 6/14/2018 at 7:36 PM, f147pu said:

I put Custom Classics on the rear of my truck back in the sixties when Bob Green was selling them.  They were worn out in7500 miles.  Bob said that the rubber was compounded for long term appearance properties rather than tread life.  There is nothing special about that tire, the Lee mold was the only 6.50x19  in existence back then and there are photos from the thirties with them on cars (as well as other brands) so bingo, Lees are the only correct tire.  Baloney.

Custom Classics:  Whitewalls with 3 rings - 20 years and 6K miles on them and still had "tits"  - and then won CCCA Primary 99.5 points (they came from Lucas Tire if I recall).  Bought 2 more and next owner ran car another 16K miles before putting on 2 new fronts.

By the way, the difference is we have a race shop here in town that specializes in problematic alignments:

Performance Alignment

www.performance-alignment.com/experience.htm 
Experience Performance. Bill Braucksick, Master ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) certified technician, is recognized as one of the Greater Cincinnati Area's 

"Bill Broxic 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

I am having an issue expanding the rim, while mounting one of the new Firestone blackball tires that I recently purchased (6.50 x 19).

I have successfully mounted two of the four tires with no issues, other than I am very, very slow.

I have the proper rim expanding/rim shrinking tool for collapsing/expanding the rim (I have the wooden wheels).

For the current rim, I was able to collapse the rim, remove the old tire, tube and flap and install the new tire tube and flap.

However, I am unable to expand the rim fully with the rim expanding tool pulled as tightly as I am able or dare to pull it.  One side of the rim appears fully expanded but the other side continues to have approximately 1/8 inch overlap and will not budge further.  Moving the rim expanding tool to the opposite side of the wheel does not work.

Something is clearly wrong, as it should not be this difficult.  Since beginning this thread, I have repaired two flat tires and on two of the five rims and installed new tires on two other rims.  This is the first removal and reinstallation with the current "problem rim", but there was nothing unusual with this rim when I removed the old tire and reinstalled the new tire.

Has anyone encountered this issue?  Clearly, something is wrong, but I am at a loss.  I have now done this enough times to know that expanding the rim with the rim expanding tool is not difficult.

I have pictures.  The first picture shows the half of the rim that seems expanded, while the third picture shows the other half of the rim that continues to be overlapped.  The center photo shows the tool mounted on the wheel.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated. I am stumped.

Jim

IMG_4402.jpg

IMG_4401.jpg

IMG_4405.jpg

Thank you.

In this case,  I did rotate the arms as you suggest, and it did not make a difference.

I should have included that information.

In repairing flats and mounting two new tires, I had no issue expanding the rim.

Only this rim is causing a problem, and it appeared fine when I removed the old tire and reinstalled the new tire.  In fact, I had been driving the car on a limited basis using the tire on this rim, and there were no issues, eg old tire and tube held air pressure fine.

I am only replacing the tires, because I know they are at least 44 years old and two of them were showing serious cracks in the side walls.

Jim

I have changed many without any trouble but occasionally I have had your problem.  Sometimes working around the inside of the rim from opposite the split to the side than won't slip in place with sharp hammer blows seems to work.

The GM book I have shows the spreader as you show it is for high pressure tires.  The opposite way is for Balloon tires, with the right leg close to the valve stem and the left leg a third of the way around.

One other thing that I do, if the new tire is not to be mounted right away I expand the empty rim so it doesn't get sprung.  Another thing that works most of the time is to lay the tire and rim flat with the overlapping side up.  Have a 2x4 under the rim/tire across the diameter directly under the split. If you then jump on opposite sides it will usually spring into place.  If you are unlucky the rim will collapse and you can start over. 

Good luck.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Atlas Rim Tool Instructions according to Atlas:  Google Atlas rim tool, click IMAGES,  on the second row of images is an image of the factory instructions.  The tool needs a couple of different placements for all the operations.

Gordon Howard