The toy box and the big shop, my New shop Build.

auburnseeker

I just wanted to clarify to anyone reading this,  the goal of this thread wasn't to brag about my shop,  it was to help others see what it takes to build a building this size including:

How long each phase takes

How much every phase costs

Why I went with the materials I did

How one can save money in each phase (depending on abilities and access to equipment)

What things were a waste of money

What kind of usable space this gives you

How little things can really add to the budget that you never planned on just for starters.

I welcome anyone else to post their own garage building experiences especially in relation to types of materials, costs and usable space/ set up so anyone in the future viewing this can help decide what is best for them or what x number of dollars will really get them.

When I started this thread  I found little information on cost,  other than kit costs,  but that's hard to translate into finished product.  

I also even had a hard time finding any photos of what the difference size buildings gave you for space with vehicles actually parked in them.  

I know one member posted they had a metal building done in 90 days turn key.  

Post the details please and a bunch of photos with the dimensions.  It will really help others determine what fits their needs best.  

If you could post even a state as to where your project is/ was located that would be great as well so we can see how your project may apply to our needs in relation to snow loads or even insulation codes as they vary all over the country.

I know another trip to the lumber yard today for another 20 2x4's to be cut up for nailers,  another roll of 2 foot by 50 foot flashing to make more caps for the band board as well as 3- 5 lb boxes of siding nails ran me $270.  Again another chunk of money I wasn't planning on spending. 

Bitter cold coming in here as well so I ripped much of the 2 rolls of flashing I have up to bend and will probably move the brake into the heated shop as I have nearly 50 8 foot pieces to bend. 

I can't wait for my door to arrive which is suppose to be next week.  The wind cranking through that opening today required me to bundle up in Long johns and even snow pants and ear muffs to keep from freezing.  Even then you could feel that chill working it's way in. 

I have been burning scraps on days with little to no wind in a fire pit,  which works nice to get rid of the scraps and warm the hands. 

I won't know what to do the first time i have 50 degree weather to work in again. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

When I built the barn for my daughters horses I was on a ladder nailing in siding. I did not have a nail gun. We had a rather large Percheron two year old draft horse that weight about 2200 pounds and thought he was my lap dog, as I was the one who fed him. He loved to untie my shoes. Being on a ladder and having a beast untie your shoes is a bit unnerving. 

He would grab the lace pull it the run and hide behind a 6x6 post!  Of course he was a bit wider. You haven’t had to put up with that at least but I don’t envy you for some of the comments you have had to endure building this. Please keep posting as I find it most informative and interesting. 

Dave S 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been hand nailing all the siding as it draws it in better. Pre starting all the nails is a huge time saver especially up at the ladder heights.  I can even do it on a crappy day so on the good days I can fly with siding.  

Looks like I'll be adding nailers this week and moving all the lumber I put in my way to get access to where I have to put them.  

My new Hitachi cordless framing nailer says it only works down to 23 degrees,  so I'll have to see how true that is.  I'm thinking I can keep it in the heated garage and just bring it out to do a bunch of nailing once I get them in place then put it back in the garage to keep it warm.  I'll let you all know how that works out.  I do like the nailer otherwise.  It was the right fit and a little more than the paslode but doesn't require the gas cartridges. 

Many of us do appreciate your detailed accounts of time taken, cost of specific stages etc.  I am also involved with a new shop building so your ongoing updates are of great interest. My project is on a much smaller scale however all the information in your posts is helpful once I scale it down about 50%.

Greg in Canada

I like the board & batten look, probably because that's what I did.  To save work and have a better finish, I primed all my boards and battens before nailing them up,  I also painted all seams with finish color before putting the battens up.  All the battens had to be angle nailed to help stop shrinkage and gaps as the wood dried.  Result was repainting  and a color change at 5 years old, there was very little to caulk.  

Suggestion:  While you are adding nailers, add a 2"X10'" nailer for a shed roof on the side between the upper and lower windows.  The left side looks like the space would be great for  s shed roof.

You will always find stuff to store that does not need an enclosure (Tractors, building supplies, future project cars, trailers, etc.

A roofed area beside the barn is a good economical solution as well as a future project to fully enclose.  You know what we all say, you can't build to big a space.

I'm torn on whether I will add a porch type deal at some point to that side as it limits getting a tractor or lift down that side for maintenance.  I had at one point thought though I could put a shed roof, maybe off the back as it's about 10 foot wide to the bank which would put stuff completely out of sight.  Though at this size,  I better not "fill it". the idea is to get something, play with it then sell it to get the next.   I do plan on some kind of partial loft at some point inside for storage.  I also have the 28 by 50 with the loft and the 8 by 30 foot shed.  The wife might put the cabosh on any more buildings. 

I'll probably sell the lift when I'm done with the outside and get a smaller one or a 4 wheel drive scissor lift to replace it.

I did actually prefinish all the board and batten figuring the shrinkage would expose seems if I didn't.  It was easier to stain flat as well than vertical.   The wood is now atleast 3 years dry with one being stickered in my garage so I'm hoping shrinkage from here on our will be minimal.   We'll see.  Always looks good on paper.  Real life proves different. 

A shop I saw pictures of back a few years, I think on this forum, had a great setup for a loft. The position of his car lift was such that when he backed a pickup on, he could raise the truck to move items directly to the loft from the back of the pickup bed. A large multipurpose elevator.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted any updates as I have been waiting to make some real progress.  Mother nature and crap luck has really delayed it. 

The heater went out in my heated garage last week with several days of below zero forecast, so I spent 2 days researching and trying to fix it.  I finally called the fellow I bought it from and bought a replacement from him.  Another $700 I wasn't planning on spending, but it's a twin so I can rebuild mine (needs the burn chamber cleaned and rebuilt, which I didn't have the parts for) for a spare for at most $200.  They swap out in 10 minutes so that will be a bit of insurance.

After getting that up,  the temps dropped to day time highs in the teens.   Needless to say the inside temperature of the shop (especially without the garage door on)  was about 13.  

I did slowly peck away at installing nailers and have gotten almost half of the building done.  Another 20 2x4's with a box of 4000 nails for the Hitachi cordless framing nailer ran another 130 bucks at the Lumber yard.  See those little things keep adding up. 

On Saturday we got a blizzard with close to 2 feet of snow.  The bottom though dry because it was so cold was very dense and hard to plow.  It took 7 hours to plow out the property and another 2 of shoveling.  Of course,  that's when the battery crapped out in the tractor.  I was able to finally boost it and get it going. Because of where it's located you have to take it part way out to boost it.  A bunch of trips up to the other garage for tools and some choice words,  but we were finally in business. That shot Sunday.  Final clean up and battery replacement (another $140)  with some snow raking and a bit more plowing shoveling shot Monday.  Monday's high was 1.  Overnight low of -15.  

The new garage door was suppose to be installed Monday but got put off because of the temps.  We rescheduled for Tuesday,  but again overnight low of -15 with a high eventually reaching about 10 so it got put off until Thursday.  Now it's rained about 6 inches since yesterday afternoon.  The absolute last thing you could want after 2 feet of snow and the previous day starting out at -15.  Everything is covered with a very heavy layer of ice.  I don't understand how Forecasters can't comprehend the amount of time it takes to warm up -15 or colder ground temperatures.  They were saying the freezing rain would change to all rain in the late afternoon yesterday.  

Anyways,  lets hope it stops and I can get everything sanded so I can finally get that door in.   I'll work on nailers again later today unless the 600 foot driveway softens up enough I can go shovel it off.    I'm not real optimistic about that though. 

I have been plowing out the sides of the garage as well so I can get easy access to them with the lift if I ever get back to siding.  

That snow pushed hard the first few passes and had to be done with the blade half way up to plow the top off.  The tractor really got a work out.  I had to plow the drive downward at angles as I could barely drive the tractor across the flat ground through the snow without the blade down. 

There were really no snowbanks prior to this storm so that's all from the one storm.  I couldn't imagine plowing it with a pickup.  I even buried the tractor once as everything underneath was ice before the storm(that's with chains on all 4's and 4 wheel drive).  So I had to shove that out.  First time that has even happened. 

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0233.JPG

Well that rain ended up being about 6 inches worth.  Not good when the ground was so froze.  It took a long time to switch and though I threw down salt (which I rarely use). the driveway that it broke up reglazed over when the temperatures dropped.   Worst part was the Garage door guys were coming so I had to get everything sanding for them.  I use 5 gallon pails full and used 8.  

Of course while they were here, we had another quick 1 inch storm that coated everything.  I went out and blew it off to expose the sand but blew part of the sand away (though I was being careful) so I had to go back out and sand again.  

Here is the new door though.  

This was 5300 installed with the opener.  I did get an extra "free" section incase I ever bunger one up.  One window was cracked new out of the box,  so they are going to bring a replacement.  One of the keyless remotes wouldn't work either so they are going to bring a new one back when they come to fix the window.  

It's a Clopay Garage door.  16 foot by 14 foot with automatic commercial grade opener.   The door is suppose to be rated at an R18.  

I did inquire about putting a solid panel at the top and starting the glass one down,  but eventually decided this would be OK.  If it was easy.  I would have like to seen it both ways.   I couldn't find any done that way on line as really big carriage house doors are failry uncommon. 

The only real thing I wish I would have done different was use 3/4 inch jambs instead of the 2 inch as the weatherstrip touches and actually goes over the edge of one of the window trim pieces.  They framed my garage door opening kind of tight,  but then again they were following what the masons did and they set it pretty narrow. 

This is something to keep in mind when building your own,  though rarely do you have all the details figured out when you are at the concrete state when doing it by yourself.

I could always pull those jambs off down the road and replace them with 3/4 inch then just replace the casings as well. Not a huge job.  We'll see how much it bugs me down the road.  It will be along time before i have to think about heating it.  

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG

IMG_1191.JPG

IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1194.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_1196.JPG

I'll have to get some pictures on a sunny day as everything looks dark and washed in these. 

I told the wife it needs some ornamental brackets on the roof return or something now stained the color of the door.  Doug fir 4x4 with Cetol would be a similar color. 

Eventually I plan on stone work around the bottom as well.  Should help set it off. 

1 hour ago, SC38DLS said:

With it installed the inside is probably up to a balmy 20-22 degrees. Just right for working and not breaking a sweat right? 

Right on.  It was exactly 20 inside when I looked at the thermometer.  Atleast it reduces the wind chill some.  Though the draft on the bottom might need addressing at some point.   I can already see that R18 paying for itself.  It was 19 outside.  

• Haha 1

On 1/10/2019 at 5:40 PM, auburnseeker said:

I just wanted to clarify to anyone reading this,  the goal of this thread wasn't to brag about my shop,  it was to help others see what it takes to build a building this size including:

How long each phase takes

How much every phase costs

Why I went with the materials I did

How one can save money in each phase (depending on abilities and access to equipment)

What things were a waste of money

What kind of usable space this gives you

How little things can really add to the budget that you never planned on just for starters.

I welcome anyone else to post their own garage building experiences especially in relation to types of materials, costs and usable space/ set up so anyone in the future viewing this can help decide what is best for them or what x number of dollars will really get them.

When I started this thread  I found little information on cost,  other than kit costs,  but that's hard to translate into finished product.  

I also even had a hard time finding any photos of what the difference size buildings gave you for space with vehicles actually parked in them.  

I know one member posted they had a metal building done in 90 days turn key.  

Post the details please and a bunch of photos with the dimensions.  It will really help others determine what fits their needs best.  

If you could post even a state as to where your project is/ was located that would be great as well so we can see how your project may apply to our needs in relation to snow loads or even insulation codes as they vary all over the country.

I know another trip to the lumber yard today for another 20 2x4's to be cut up for nailers,  another roll of 2 foot by 50 foot flashing to make more caps for the band board as well as 3- 5 lb boxes of siding nails ran me $270.  Again another chunk of money I wasn't planning on spending. 

Bitter cold coming in here as well so I ripped much of the 2 rolls of flashing I have up to bend and will probably move the brake into the heated shop as I have nearly 50 8 foot pieces to bend. 

I can't wait for my door to arrive which is suppose to be next week.  The wind cranking through that opening today required me to bundle up in Long johns and even snow pants and ear muffs to keep from freezing.  Even then you could feel that chill working it's way in. 

I have been burning scraps on days with little to no wind in a fire pit,  which works nice to get rid of the scraps and warm the hands. 

I won't know what to do the first time i have 50 degree weather to work in again. 

Good job on the shop. Looking at the cold your dealing with in building is part of the reason why I left NY for TX. Plus out here no permitting. No zoning.  You just build anything you want. My property had a dairy barn built in the late 30's on it which I turned the milking room into my brewery, the cow stalls into my metal and wood shop, and the office into my gun shop.  Have been steadily adding garage space onto the back as money and time permits. Up to 5 cars now.  The house I live in I also built myself and the saloon for the antique brewery advertising as well.  Don't give up!  Anything worth having is worth double doing it yourself.  Mine has been a 22 year project and still going most likely until I am taking a dirt nap.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Brooklyn Beer said:

I turned the milking room into my brewery

My milking room is now the welding room with a 2,500 lb. table in the centre. Being an all metal room makes it spark friendly. I did put in a smog hog to clean the air when the doors are closed in the winter for the heat. Stalls are gone with one half storage and the other half for restoration and machine shop. I do work for myself only now as my cars used to sit. If someone is stuck though I do help them out.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

At least it reduces the wind chill some.  Though the draft on the bottom might need addressing at some point.   I can already see that R18 paying for itself.  It was 19 outside.  

I might suggest taking a few spare 6x6's and lay them on the inside against the door to block the wind (and drifting snow). You can always move them away when requiring access inside for equipment.

• Like 1

I actually checked that gap today and it looks like a 4x4 will do it,  so I'll get a couple of 8 footers PT when I'm at the lumber yard next time.   Actually I might have some 4x stickers from the lumber I had dropped.  I'll have to check that out first.  Getting sick of buying lumber.  LOL

No work on the shop again other than a little cleaning and a magnet sweep of the area.  Boy good thing as they dropped about 6 or 8 bolts and atleast 4 of them were big self tapping metal screws as well as a nice pile of nails they use to hold the panels up when they stack them.  They also left behind their stapler.  I'll make sure they get it back when they come to fix the cracked window.  

I wonder if the building inspector will say anything when he comes for the final and sees a $1000 garage door opener in a building with no power?

I'll have to tell him well you never know,  but I'll let you know if I ever put power in. ;) 

• Like 1

cement and carpet.  We are always doing remodels on hospitals and outside normal excess building materials like lumber and roofing I get interior items too.  Like carpet.  Rubber backed. Great to keep the moisture out.  Makes easier to heat in winter. Contact any demo company and you can get the same.

20190127_152435.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 8:30 PM, auburnseeker said:

No work on the shop again other than a little cleaning and a magnet sweep of the area.  Boy good thing as they dropped about 6 or 8 bolts and atleast 4 of them were big self tapping metal screws as well as a nice pile of nails they use to hold the panels up when they stack them. 

When I had my barn built at our last place my son was around 8 and I hired him to pick up nails. If I remember right I paid him 2 cents for small and a nickel for large. He collected almost a coffee can full. Kept him busy for days. He turned 44 a couple of weeks ago. Didn't know about magnetic sweepers back then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim Bollman said:

Didn't know about magnetic sweepers back then.

I had heard of them and when we bought our property from a roofer that had shall we say less than tidy employees (using this property to stage his business) I could see one was in order just by looking around on the ground a little.  I ended up picking up the better part of half a 5 gallon pail of nails and still have them surface occasionally after the rain washes away the dirt around them.  I have reworked alot of the driveways though and added a bunch of gravel,  so most that Might have gotten missed are now very buried.  Of course not before I got two in my tractor tires. 

They are pretty cheap as well. I think mine was around $50 shipped to the door.  Ground clearance is pretty low though so you can't nail sweep very well over cob rock or really rutted ground. 

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't posted much progress because I've made very little.  Just when I get going something comes up and requires immediate attention.  We had two large snow storms within 2 weeks,  6 inches of rain which started as freezing rain being the day before was -15.  That iced everything over.   Got that cleaned up and got the second storm.  Temps were cold for about a week then it warmed up again just in time for another round of freezing rain and no place for any of the water to go.  Normally the warm up would be great to get work done,  except the freshly rebuilt monitor heater I bought to replace mine that died, crapped out.  so I spent two of those days messing with that,  but finally found a small fuel line that though fuel passed through it,  was partially blocked and would cause the very sensitive heater to not see enough fuel so it would shut down.  I reamed it out with a guitar string as it's so small and got a pile of crap out of it.  Now it works fine,  so lets cross our fingers that it is finally fixed.   I might have figured out what's wrong with the original as it was behaving very similar when it crapped out.   Must be the rebuilder isn't snaking that line out when he rebuilds them as both units were from him.  I got over 2 years out of the first but just 2 weeks out of the 2nd.  You wouldn't think it would plug as it has several filters ahead of that but I think it's carbon building up from the burner end in it. 

Anyways,  between that and having to replace the new block heater in my tractor with another new one,  (different brand)  because the first one was defective and improperly sealed so antifreeze would run out of the plug,  shorting it out, I think I am finally back to the slow building project. 

Lots of nailers to still install,  but I did buy this garage door hardware kit to finish off the carriage house style doors.  

Unfortunately as usual you get what you pay for.  Theses were the more expensive handles and hinges but they look much better than the cheap ones.  I bought them off ebay.  It's actually 3 kits. I just have a spare set of handles as I felt the door needed more hinges.

They look like real heavy iron but are actually moulded plastic with magnets so no drilling and you can reposition them if you don't like where they are.   

These 3 kits cost about 106.00 for all 3 with shipping.   They seem to stick well.

IMG_1191.JPG

IMG_3752.JPG

IMG_3753.JPG

IMG_3754.JPG

IMG_3755.JPG

IMG_3756.JPG

Yup they are plastic.  They are really thick plastic though atleast.  For what they are they don't feel too cheesey.   I really didn't want to drill my door to add any others.  I think even the screw on ones are plastic now. 

I also bought 10 4 foot LED lights to start with to get some light inside for working.  That's a far cry from what I need,  but it's a start.   I hope the LED lights don't interfere with my AM radio like the conventional Flourescents do. 

At this rate I'm going to need to run another extension cord from the other garage.  ;) 

• 4 weeks later...

With the terrible winter weather in the Northeast progress has been mighty slow.  Seems we are either plowing/ shoveling, chiseling ice/ sanding it,  or fixing heaters, which seems to leave little time to get anything done.   Then you have that pesky problem of fingers freezing if the day time high is not above 20 degrees.  Oh and not to mention still run my business which requires way to much time communicating with buyers and sellers. 

Anyways I did get my banding board and flashing on both of the eve sides.  Today I put all the top casings on the lower windows, which i hopefully will be able to put the drip caps I bent up on tomorrow.  It's snowing now so we will have to see how much we get.  

Of course now i have to deal with the eve dripping as well.  So on days where the south side is dripping but it's still below freezing I work on the North side.  Hopefully the south side will be thawed off soon so I can get back to siding that.  Now the yard starts to mud up as we have so much frost in the ground that I will have trouble getting the lift out to do the soffits.  This juggling act is getting tiring.  I still have some nailers to install inside,  but have to move one of the big lumber piles to do that so I have been working on sorting boards. 

3 of the boards , though not having any apparent cup, have to be replaced that I put up on the south side as they curled right off the building in the sun. Even splitting on the bottom.  

I went to the lumber yard with the wife's truck Yesterday to get 20 2x4's for nailers, drove straight in the yard and back out,  all on bare pavement and somehow ran over a staple complete with the tag on it, so I got home and of course had a leak when I pulled it out.  Took that off and put her spare on as of course she had to go to work in a few hours.  Geeze it just doesn't end. 

You can see we have plenty of snow.  Of course extra plowing so I can keep the sides of the building open to work on the siding. 

IMG_7801.JPG

IMG_7802.JPG

IMG_7803.JPG

IMG_7804.JPG

IMG_7805.JPG

Unfortunately with the cost of this thing,  I'll be lucky enough to have money to buy a single lift to use for fixing my cars.  

Hopefully some day I'll be able to look back and laugh at it all as I'm enjoying my garage full of toys.   It doesn't seem like it will happen at this rate.  Maybe time to buy a lotto ticket?

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:45 PM, auburnseeker said:

Yup they are plastic.  They are really thick plastic though atleast.  For what they are they don't feel too cheesey.   I really didn't want to drill my door to add any others.  I think even the screw on ones are plastic now. 

I also bought 10 4 foot LED lights to start with to get some light inside for working.  That's a far cry from what I need,  but it's a start.   I hope the LED lights don't interfere with my AM radio like the conventional Flourescents do. 

At this rate I'm going to need to run another extension cord from the other garage.  ;) 

When you finally get a chance to really use them, you are going to love those LED lights. Have plenty of cold where I am and I usually keep my garage just above freezing only turning the heat up to comfortable when I work in the garage. Fluorescent lights don't like cold and I always had to wait a good 20 minutes after turning up the heat before I could flip the switch and get any kind of decent light from the fluorescents over my work bench. Last summer the ballast on the cheap chain hanging 4 footer over my grinder bench fried and I replaced it with an LED conversion which cost was less than replacing the ballast or cheap fixture and when  I got instant bright light this fall without any warm up time, I decided to replace all the incandescent lights in the garage with LED's.  

Being retired and having more time than money, I went to craigslist looking for free used fluorescent fixtures that I could convert and found these people not five miles from where I live. https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/grq/d/minneapolis-led-lights-pole-barn-shop/6830841118.html I got brand new LED's for less than the cost of converting free used fluorescent fixtures. The cost of shipping might put these up over the cost of local purchase, but the price is good enough that you might want to check while they still have light to sell.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've finally had some spring like weather , well for atleast a day or two.  

I have made some progress on the North facing siding, until today when the eves started running.  Fortunately the southern side is now bare so I jumped over there, tore off the cupped boards pretty much right back toe the corner and put up all new boards.  I screwed all of them in place incase I have to change any out and the screws hold better than even the good nails I have been using. 

I even managed to trim out a few of the lower windows.  

I still have to figure out a metal wrapped sill for the bottom of them. 

I'm over 1/2 way down the North side and almost a 1/3 of the way down the Southern side.  A good week and i could probably be just about to both corners. 

I have to wait until I can get the lift out to finish the soffits to put up the top banding board then the batten strips which I sorted and precut to a close rough length already.   The problem I have now is mud season so it's a matter of a cool night where the ground freezes and stays frozen the next day.  Looks like we might have that coming up with highs next week in the low to mid 30's. 

Due to inconsistency in widths and trying to make the batten strips end up landing right by windows,   I have been running each piece through the table saw to size them. 

I would have been half way around that windows today but a friend stopped then I cut the the board that edges  the window wrong.  I'm still trying to figure out how I managed that one.  

I can almost see a tiny bit of light at the end of the tunnel but still  a long ways to go,  when you are doing it all alone. 

IMG_1332.JPG

IMG_1333.JPG

IMG_1334.JPG

They won't be exact but they will be close.  I have to resaw every board to make them work,  but it gives me a chance to clean up the least straightest side.  They were all cut on a band saw mill so they are less than exact.  

I really didn't want to have one fall right on the edge of the trim.  That looks terrible.  

Hopefully I'll have some more good progress to report the end of the week.  Working on getting my taxes  together the next couple of days (yuck).  

• 3 weeks later...

Slow but steady going.  I did manage to get all the boards up on the North and South sides.  Now I just have the east end to get the lower half on,  then the other roof return and stain , then shingle the gable ends,  finish the soffits, trim out the upper windows and add the upper band board.  That all needs to be done in 7 weeks to beat the last day on the permit. Too bad they can't prorate the permit.   Even as optimistic as I am,  I don't think I'll make it.  End of June, very likely,  but that means another $340 permit. 

Being every board had to be resawed it's kind of time consuming.  There are 74 Boards to the sides,  so that's 148 Board I put up on the two sides.  Not to mention you really have to pick them to avoid cracks.  I also have a bunch that were cupped the wrong way,  that I ripped and cut to rough length that I need to stain for the East end. I'm about a 1/3 through those.  They should go up quick though as The will all be good and precut to match. 

Wish me luck,  working by myself,  really makes for slow going.  

On a positive note,  even with the Cold spring (seems like it's going to be like last year with no real spring,  then dump a hot humid summer on us). We have been tracking 7 to 10 degrees below normal most days.  Suppose to snow tomorrow with a high of 38.  

The ground is starting to firm up,  so I should be able to get the lift out next week. 

Just to make me feel like I accomplished something I'll post a photo from about this time last year.  No doors, Windows,  or siding.  I have to remember I also bent all the flashing for everything and built the upper windows. 

One thing to remember if you choose to build a building this size by yourself,  it's going to take alot of time,  especially if you still have a business to run and a whole pile of unexpected money. 

IMG_9815.JPG

IMG_8783.thumb.JPG.cb226a0bcf3324bfe39ee18aff55a932.JPG

IMG_6221.JPG

IMG_6222.JPG

• Like 3

You should be  justifiably proud of your accomplishment. Your busting you ass three times harder than most people. I am quite sure you will get it done, to your standards, and on your own terms. Keep at it. You will have your Auburn soon....,..it’s easy to see you will make and exceed you goals. 👍

• Like 1

You've done a beautiful job on this building. At least you know that distant light at the end of the tunnel is NOT a freight train.  The amout of small things youstill have to finish will probably be the most frustrating as they will take a lot of time but only show a small change.  Keep at it, we are all waiting for the open garage party!  Have fun

Dave S 

I'll have to have that grand opening party when I get the outside finished and maybe the floor poured.  At 44 I'm not even sure if I will live long enough to finish it,  much less the rest of you guys. ;) 

Thanks to the kind words from all.  They are encouraging,  as much as it feels like drudgery to go out and sort / saw lumber, that still needs to be painted.  Much less put up. 

I'm hoping I don't run out and can find enough good boards.  Even though I way over ordered (figuring I was going to do the gable ends with it but now switching to shakes for those)  as I have about 62 or so to come up with and I'm starting to get down in the pile,  which I already picked once.  I have 28 sorted, cut and resized  right now.  

Lets hope for good weather.  Winter wasn't real cooperative, nor was fall. 

• Like 1

I like your hinges and door pulls/latches, never saw them in fiberglass.  Nice !
I used steel painted with hammerite black.  Lowe's $13.99 for a set of 4 hinges and 2 door pulls. 

This door used two sets and I pitched the door pulls and used gas pump handles. 549706640_DSC00157(1).thumb.JPG.257d28a17f3b2e5a97692726d5ea4151.JPG

On my sectional doors I used the same and used black striping tape to make it appear as two

doors on each side.   With 3 doors on the barn and 3 on the house, it looks like q lot of

split doors with hinges instead of big sectional lift doors.

361194526_DSC00156(1).thumb.JPG.0969927c9b4f78e35f64e650a2aa400e.JPG 

• Like 1