1931 CADILLAC LASALLE RUMBLE SEAT CONVERTIBLE CABRIOLET

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/d/1931-cadillac-lasalle-rumble/6538442950.html

00B0B_eFyBbywir00_600x450.jpg
00m0m_5yZ3rmLV03o_600x450.jpg
00Y0Y_ilr1JDl1TSc_600x450.jpg
00D0D_cScIWsAoCCA_600x450.jpg
00b0b_lMkkk6YTFVG_600x450.jpg
00A0A_EeNMYPkt0I_600x450.jpg
00a0a_g6I9fa0Gvve_600x450.jpg
01212_3M2tkAIDHtg_600x450.jpg
00g0g_7eddbsL7XGd_600x450.jpg
00Y0Y_4o02B2jPAsO_600x450.jpg
00T0T_78dXUH6m48h_600x450.jpg
00F0F_j4vHA9hSGJI_600x450.jpg
Ok friends, here is something very special that you are unlikely to see listed on Craigslist or anywhere else. Full CCCA Classic Convertible, right out of our barn after being stored for over 60 years, 1931 LaSalle convertible coupe with a rumble seat and the side golf door. This is a large car. The car is original and in need of a complete restoration. The frame is solid. The wood in the body needs to be replaced. The rocker panels and front fenders are rusty. The engine was partially disassembled 60+ years ago but I don't know why. This is a $100,000 car once restored. Please do your research and you will see. This exact car was the very last 1931 model LaSalle convertible built on the assembly line before 1932 production started. This has been documented and it's also in a known Cadillac/LaSalle history book. Pretty neat. Asking a very reasonable 15k or best fair offer. It's underpriced at this figure. There is not another Cadillac convertible from this era anywhere to be found at this price. Cash talks, however, lowball offers will not be considered. Serious buyers, please "leave your phone number" for a reply. The car is in New Jersey. Thank you.

It would be nice to see what was left of the engine also. Any of the top irons and components left? Beautiful cars when done. With the condition and missing components It looks like $150,000 investment may get it to a $100,000 value. IMO.

Will be more than $150,000. for this car to be done right. Would be nice to see some shots of the engine and better passenger side of the car. Looks like it needs some serious sand blasting of the chassis seeing the heavy pitting. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

I'm sorry. It's not mine. I posted in case someone here is interested.

Pease do not apologise for our rudeness. I would not have made a poor comment if it was the posters car. I find you can learn a lot by these types of posts as you may be interested and not catch an issue that someone else might pick up on. Actually I bought a 1912 Canadian built T touring back in Feb. from this type of post that I will finally take position on coming Mon.

An issue that I or no one else thought of was the car was on Vancouver Island. The problem I had was getting a transport to cross the ferry in the time frame that they gave me to remove it. It ended up costing me additional $1,300. for the return boat ride. The second issue I had was the smaller independents will not go through the mountains this time of year. Came back in a cargo van so I had to payee a tilt and load on top of it to load.

But it was still worth all the extras I hope ( have not seen what I bought yet) except for pictures.  

I also tried to buy a restored1910 REO 4 cyl. outside of Seattle past winter that came with a spare engine from this type of post. Most carriers will not take a spare engine so by the time I decided to go myself a day later it was sold. So I do appreciate these kind of adds that are not in the main stream of advertising.

So thanks for posting George!!!

An interesting project, but like most, not one that you would get your money back on when completed. This would be true even if it were a Cadillac - LaSalles will bring less perhaps due to their lack of suicide doors and lower trim level. Nevertheless, it would be a real find for the right person - someone already in the middle of a restoration of one, who needs some parts for example.  I think the best use for it might be a re body. Someone with a complete,  nice running sedan or well along on a sedan restoration - (about a $35-40K) car - could swap bodies and sell off what was left. Depending on how much he is capable of doing himself, and how much of the leftovers he could sell, it might not cost him too much to wind up with a nice open car in fairly short order. Being honest about it being a re body ( which is the only way to go), I think he could still raise the value of the former  sedan enough to cover most of his expenses.  Technically, if the CCP frame was used, it wouldn't even BE a re body, but simply an engine change.

18 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

Will be more than $150,000. for this car to be done right. Would be nice to see some shots of the engine and better passenger side of the car. Looks like it needs some serious sand blasting of the chassis seeing the heavy pitting. 

These kind of quotes are if you farm everything out. What happened to the hobby where you did most or all the work yourself? I think the cost could be substantially less and the enjoyment substantially more working on something like this done yourself.

I think that's what's killing the hobby when people are so absorbed in the cost of everything and then expecting to sell at a profit. That's not what a hobby is all about.

• Like 2

Well according to todays laws you aren't allowed to paint a car, do any kind of chrome plating,  even if you could, as well as a slew of other processes required to bring a car like this back to the 100,000 car the seller says it will be. Given you could do almost everything yourself,  I would think you would have atleast 30,000 to 40,000 in stuff you had to farm out.  Tires and tubes have to be close to 2,000 by the time you have them actually on the car.   One member said they paid 4000. just to rechrome a windshield frame.  Not much here will be able to just be cleaned up and pass for good.  I see a lot of little bits missing as well.  What will those cost to acquire?  

A neat car I hope someone can save it,  but one that when you look deep into,  is going to be a long road back to that 100,000. car.