Sign in to follow this  
roysboystoys

Hudson museum auction

There's a John Kruse listed as the auction contact person. Would he be any relation to the Kruse auction that used to run the Labor Day Auburn auction? Didn't Kruse Auctions get into some type of financial or legal trouble & that's why they no longer do Auburn?

1 hour ago, George Smolinski said:

There's a John Kruse listed as the auction contact person. Would he be any relation to the Kruse auction that used to run the Labor Day Auburn auction? Didn't Kruse Auctions get into some type of financial or legal trouble & that's why they no longer do Auburn?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kruse_International

2 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Didn't Kruse Auctions get into some type of financial or legal trouble & that's why they no longer do Auburn?

Plenty of it.  The brief Wikipedia article

mentions a little of it.  However, I don't

know who John Kruse is.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

John Kruse is a nephew to Dean Kruse of the early Auburn Auctions. John is principal of Worldwide Auctions who does conduct a sale in Auburn, IN on Labor Day weekend and have no connection to the RM Auction same weekend. John sold my '31 Lincoln K phaeton for me at his Auburn sale about five years ago. I have nothing but good to say about John and the others at Worldwide Auctions. Check out John and Worldwide for your own conclusion.

It is a shame that cars of this iconic Hudson collection have to find new homes. On the other hand, opportunity knocks.

Hank Feinberg

ex-Hoosier

Edited by parrts
Added my name. (see edit history)

On 4/6/2018 at 10:05 PM, parrts said:

John Kruse is a nephew to Dean Kruse of the early Auburn Auctions. John is principal of Worldwide Auctions who does conduct a sale in Auburn, IN on Labor Day weekend and have no connection to the RM Auction same weekend. John sold my '31 Lincoln K phaeton for me at his Auburn sale about five years ago. I have nothing but good to say about John and the others at Worldwide Auctions. Check out John and Worldwide for your own conclusion.

It is a shame that cars of this iconic Hudson collection have to find new homes. On the other hand, opportunity knocks.

Hank Feinberg

ex-Hoosier

I have the sister car to Eldon's 1915 Hudson SIX-40, purchased some time after he showed me the picture of his.

1915 Hudson 5 Savannah Gregory Neck.jpg

1915 Hudson 1 Savannah.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 4:54 PM, George Smolinski said:

John Kruse is a fine upstanding gentleman. He has built his own auction company Worldwide Auctions http://www.worldwide-auctioneers.com/ from the ground up. I have sold and bought automobiles with John. He is honest, straight forward and has integrity. John is a family man. He also volunteers for many worthy causes around his home town of Auburn Indiana. His company conducts a sale labor day weekend that helps support the NATMUS museum located next to the ACD museum. Worldwide has never been in any trouble for anything. 

Before posting loaded comments try google and do some research. It will answer many questions.

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I agree. John Kruse and Rod Egan (WorldwideAuctions) are great folks to deal with. They work hard, get results, and, more importantly, keep their promises. They will do a good job with this auction.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 2

On 4/6/2018 at 11:05 PM, parrts said:

For the board of the museum?  

Where do these funds go when the museum is sold?  

40 minutes ago, jackofalltrades70 said:

Where do these funds go when the museum is sold?  

The funds will go into a City of Shipshewana bank account.  According to IRS rules, the funds have to be used for charitable purposes and the good of the community.

I'm not saying that city will do so, but then there are ways to disperse the funds to particular people.  Fund a "study", hire "consultants", pick a contractor and build a gazebo in the park with kickbacks.

When there are millions of dollars involved (collection is estimated at 4 million), then greed takes over.  The city has done the first step, decided to sell the assets they were given, that money won't grow any moss in the bank......

If they'd had any desire to keep the museum open, then the option would have been to sell one or two cars a year to pay for operating expenses.  At least that way, the museum could have stayed open for years.  The City could not care less about this collection, but they sure want the money.  What a shame.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

The funds will go into a City of Shipshewana bank account.  According to IRS rules, the funds have to be used for charitable purposes and the good of the community.

I'm not saying that city will do so, but then there are ways to disperse the funds to particular people.  Fund a "study", hire "consultants", pick a contractor and build a gazebo in the park with kickbacks.

When there are millions of dollars involved (collection is estimated at 4 million), then greed takes over.  The city has done the first step, decided to sell the assets they were given, that money won't grow any moss in the bank......

If they'd had any desire to keep the museum open, then the option would have been to sell one or two cars a year to pay for operating expenses.  At least that way, the museum could have stayed open for years.  The City could not care less about this collection, but they sure want the money.  What a shame.

David, 

Your comments are "Right On The Money" !

What a shame...

• Like 2

I have a little different take on this. Rather than having these cars stored in a museum where hardly anyone will see them they are being returned to circulation in the hobby. While i am a big museum fan, i cant help thinking that having these cars disbursed will be good for the people who have lusted after some rare cars.

• Like 1

I would bet with some of these,  especially the more special ones they will go to a collection where only a select few will see them,  or worse yet get shipped out of the country to go to private collections outside of the states.   I don't see a lot of people going t museum sales buying the rarest of the rare cars,  then doing the car show circuit with them. 

I have worked with John and Rod for years. I bought a car from them just last week. Straight shooters and honest. Hard to find in the auction business these days. I highly recommend them.  tom griffith/madison WI

• Like 1

Couldn't they just sell one at a time to cover their cost and keep this great opportunity open for people to enjoy.  Maybe after a couple of years something would change to keep them all together.  I have to wonder why their expenses every year are so high to maintain this museum. 

1 hour ago, voced said:

I have to wonder why their expenses every year are so high to maintain this museum. 

Somewhere I thought I read that expenses were $150,000 a year.  I could see that pretty easily, car and liability insurance, some staff salary, utilities.

I agree the museum could be kept open pretty easily.  Problem is, the city doesn't WANT to keep it open, or at least the entity pulling the strings doesn't want it open.  Google Shipshewana and you'll see what the focus of tourism is, and what entity seems to own half the town.

• Like 1