1939 buick holes under radio?

MajesticDean

The map light is located to the left of the radio, as you have pictured.  I have always assumed the other hole is for accessory heater/defroster controls, but don't know that for certain.  On my car the prior owner had installed another map light. When I replaced the wiring with Rhode Island kit, there was only provision for the one map light.

Sorry do not know about the map light or switch.  To steal your thread I noticed in your picture that your speedometer counts up by 15 MPH increments and that is a sign of an early production 1939 Buick. My question concerns your frame, or as people have called it the bobtail Buick.  I understand Buick updated the frame by adding an extra piece at the rear, does your car have this retrofit and how is it attached, welded or bolted?  Thank,  I've never seen one with the short frame and wondered.  Regards, Gary in Southern Ontario

9 hours ago, cxgvd said:

Sorry do not know about the map light or switch.  To steal your thread I noticed in your picture that your speedometer counts up by 15 MPH increments and that is a sign of an early production 1939 Buick. My question concerns your frame, or as people have called it the bobtail Buick.  I understand Buick updated the frame by adding an extra piece at the rear, does your car have this retrofit and how is it attached, welded or bolted?  Thank,  I've never seen one with the short frame and wondered.  Regards, Gary in Southern Ontario

I dont really know to be honest. Is there certain pictures you would like me to take for you?

off topic

14 hours ago, cxgvd said:

.. My question concerns your frame, or as people have called it the bobtail Buick.  I understand Buick updated the frame by adding an extra piece at the rear, does your car have this retrofit and how is it attached, welded or bolted?  Thank,  I've never seen one with the short frame and wondered.  Regards, Gary in Southern Ontario

'39 frames here  http://forums.aaca.org/topic/157850-1939-buick-frames/

Some of the pictures & links have been lost due to software downgrades/upgrades

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)

On ‎7‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 3:55 AM, jvelde said:

...  I have always assumed the other hole is for accessory heater/defroster controls, but don't know that for certain....

The right hole is for the map light on a right hand drive car.  Our map light goes in the right hole.

You will note the dash is evenly proportioned and the glove box space and instrument space are a perfect right / left switch.  This was when USA sold cars to the world.