Saw these two projects goin' down the road today

keiser31

Nope, it  Dodge Ram!:D

3 hours ago, mike6024 said:

That tow rig looks to be overloaded.

Hmmm....might be strong enough to pull that heavily loaded trailer. But does it have enough mass to STOP it, if someone pulls out in front? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lump said:

Hmmm....might be strong enough to pull that heavily loaded trailer. But does it have enough mass to STOP it, if someone pulls out in front? 

There’s lots of passes in this area of I5, will test the best rigs. Didn’t hear anything on the news, so must have been up for the job?

4 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Well if that's OK, then a Toyota Tundra hauling a small trailer with a small car from Texas to Oregon should be more than fine.

5ac5489ad12bd_Picture9391.thumb.jpg.6a3a

Does look like it has more than enough "tongue" weight though.

Ah, it’s a 5th wheel and a Dodge. It’s fiiine! ??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, victorialynn2 said:

@keiser31, have you ever eaten at Vinny’s off of Pheonix Road? Authentic Italian. Would love to meet you and your wife there sometime!

We could go to Rosario's....better food and cheaper.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

There’s lots of passes in this area of I5, will test the best rigs. Didn’t hear anything on the news, so must have been up for the job?

Or, at least no one changed lanes too quickly in front of this rig, or stopped too quickly, etc. 

I've known several guys who towed loads that were way too big for their tow vehicles. Good drivers can get away with it for a long time...as long as nothing happens which requires them to stop very suddenly. It takes a big truck to stop a big load quickly. If nothing happens...you look like a hero. But if a car spins out and ends up right in front of you stopped dead in the road...

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, lump said:

Or, at least no one changed lanes too quickly in front of this rig, or stopped too quickly, etc. 

I've known several guys who towed loads that were way too big for their tow vehicles. Good drivers can get away with it for a long time...as long as nothing happens which requires them to stop very suddenly. It takes a big truck to stop a big load quickly. If nothing happens...you look like a hero. But if a car spins out and ends up right in front of you stopped dead in the road...

I will say this is not an area to take chances. The most curves and grades of any route I took from Tx to Portland, Or.  I never had issues with my rig and trailer. It wasn’t just luck. It was tested at times.  

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Assuming about 3500 lbs per vehicle and same for trailer, total load is 6x3500=21,000lbs, a pretty heavy pull for hills. Cantilevered load rear of back wheels is about 6500lbs, leaving about 15,000 lbs forward. The Cantilever will cause a greater distribution of this forward load to the trailer wheels, but my guess there is about 5000-7000 lb tongue weight. Assume there are air brakes or electronic brakes on trailer. I suspect the highways rules enforcement people would not be happy with the overall setup, but what do I know.

• Like 1

Sorry, I’m an info junkie. I checked Dodge 4500/5500 specs and total GCWR ratings. The trailer is rated at 25,000 capacity and the trucks weigh around 8,000 lbs. Dodge rates the 4500 at 32,500 GCWR and the 5500 at 37,500 GCWR so if that trailer is maxed out, hopefully the guy has a 5500 to haul it. I agree with the safety question, I drive a tractor trailer combination in my job, and extra heavy makes me hope I don’t get cut off by bad drivers.

Towed 5th wheels all my life. Currently Ford and Dodge have their 1 ton dual wheel pickups rated at 30,000gvw with the GM 1 ton models rated at 23,000 gvw. No way in hell does a 1 ton pickup belong towing a max. Payload of 30K. Even the 23k is a lot on pickup tires, brakes and frames. My son is still rodeoing and his girlfriend shows quarter horses professionally. They bent the frame on their new Dodge towing a tri-axle living quarters trailer hitting the scales at 27k. So much for that 30k rating. Ratings in small trucks these days is a game based on who’s got the biggest, baddest, torque monster of a diesel sitting under the hood. Funny thing is an independent test that .can be seen on YouTube showing all three brands towing the same 23k payload (so all 3 brands could be tested together) has the GM out performing the others even though they are supposed to be capable of 7k more. Towing 7 ton on a pickup is a handful and anyone aware of safety realizes it, but the pursuit of the almighty dollar makes most do otherwise. I am also a class A license holder with endorsements so I’ve driven them all from gooseneck flatbed loads to Wilson double deck pots carrying hogs. Tankers and doubles too. I’m amazed at driver license exemptions for people driving freightliner toy haulers, 40’ pusher diesel motor homes, and rigs like that too. I’m sure there’s many who will argue the point but I’ve peeled a few drivers out of rigs of all sizes in my time on the road so I’m confident in my beliefs.

Nobody here is mentioning trailer brakes.

The truck isn't built to stop these heavy loads I agree, hence the trailer brakes.

However heavy rigs always take a ways to stop.

Something that most daily drivers don't understand.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2018 at 2:00 PM, mike6024 said:

Were those two vehicles crash victims before they were loaded? They both have indented roofs, like the whole tow rig rolled.

Pretty certain the vehicles were hit by other vehicles. It was a multi-car/truck pileup.

On 4/4/2018 at 6:30 PM, mike6024 said:

That tow rig looks to be overloaded.

I find it interesting that dually pick up trucks pretend to be semi tractors.

One is not the other.

In the real world you cannot safely control that kind of weight using that kind of tow vehicle in an emergency situation and under normal driving conditions - let alone adverse weather and road conditions.

It does not matter what brand of pick up truck you drive  -  a car commercial cannot simulate the real world. 

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Speaking of crazy towing... this is the equipment that picked up the 55 Chevy a couple weeks ago. That 1 ton was loaded behind the Chevy. There was hardly any room between the cars and that’s not even a dually hauling it.  

Not surprising that the truck truck broke down and had transmission issues. I was very close to calling this haul off, but someone more experienced was with me and seemed okay with it. Honestly I don’t know enough to second guess, but it made me uncomfortable. The Chevy arrived unscathed. The trucker mangled the two right ramps when he reloaded the 1 ton and the tires barely squeezed between his wheel wells. It was a brand new truck. 

731D169A-DCC2-41AE-AECC-488AEE8DDA13.jpeg

908E051B-06C5-4E20-8195-389CF6ACF29B.jpeg

86512D0F-6421-4C77-8E44-E056B93DA256.jpeg

• Like 1

Looking at that trailer it’s most likely has 10,000 axles for a 20,000 ggvw. That dually with no bed probably doesn’t hi the 7000 lb mark and the car is probably under 4000 lbs so the load itself is just over half of the max. Ggvw of the trailer minus the weight of the trailer. The whole trailer loaded is somewhere in the 16-17k range. That weight is probably ok on a single wheel one ton truck but still not anything I would prefer to tow that far. The truck is a crew cab but doesn’t appear to be 4wd as both those options add to the gross vehicle weight and max payload. What so many seem to forget is brake size and tires. Duallies have much larger brakes than single wheel trucks. Tires are only rated for so much and often these days it seems manufacturers are rating the trucks with higher payloads than you can get tires rated for. But again it’s all about that big diesel under the hood and lots of the drivers out there only care about that. How they get away with towing what seems like crazy loads is that gooseneck trailers/truck combinations are not rated like tractor trailer combinations. With TTs, the total weight of the rig is based on the axle capacity, I.e. 44,000 rears. With GN rigs, they combine all the axles or at least used to as I haven’t run a heavy GN rig in a few years now. This is why many tow with pickups or have trucks with pickup/flat beds in place. Pull the bed, put just a couple mud flaps in place and the GN ball and the DMV will consider that truck a “tractor” putting under the same restrictions as a TT.  An example would be if that dodge in the picture has a 10k rating and the bed was pulled with mudflaps added, bare rear chassis, GN ball. The whole rig, truck, trailer, and payload could not be over 10,000 lbs. basically just hooking up the trailer to the truck would make the rig overweight. I know because it happened to me with a pickup in CT because GN rigs are a gray area in that state and they can determine it as they seem fit. To them a GN rig is a TT rig and the weigh them up that way. This is why currently Ford and dodge rate their 1 ton duallies at 30k because combined with trailer and load max should be no greater than the 30k but that is not the way it’s being perceived, advertised, or even how some states weigh stations are determining it. As I said, GN rigs seem to be a gray area for many and also very confusing most. Many, many overweight vehicles running the road and they’re doing so legally because of the grayness.

5ac5489ad12bd_Picture9391.thumb.jpg.6a3a

On 4/5/2018 at 8:35 AM, Gunsmoke said:

but my guess there is about 5000-7000 lb tongue weight.

I'd say the tongue weight could be lower, like maybe 4,000 pounds. But how is that Okay? That's still 2 tons right over the tow vehicle's rear axle. Wouldn't that bottom out it's springs?

Also it should be noted that if the trailer brakes are applied the tongue weight will go up, probably substantially. That is because the center of gravity is high, well above where the trailer wheels contact the ground so there will be a forward rotation or torque. Just like when you brake hard in your car: there is substantial weight shift to the front wheels.

• 2 weeks later...