Rayfield carburetors general information

carbking

Was doing some research for a customer on Rayfield carbs. Didn't find what I was looking for, but then I didn't expect to, so not disappointed.

Some information that may be useful:

(1) The most common Rayfields found will be type G and type L, both updraft.

(2) The G is water-jacketed, the L is not, otherwise supposedly identical.

(3) Both the G and the L come with right-hand controls or left-hand controls. If left-hand, the model becomes either a GL or an LL (eg GL-3 instead of G-3 for the right-hand controls).

(4) The number following the model is one number larger than the S.A.E. flange size (eg the aforementioned GL-3 is a size 2 carburetor).

(5) Rayfield also produced a type M which is a side-draft. These were produced with the center line of the mounting bolts vertical (eg M3V) or horizontal (eg M3H).

(6) Rayfield produced several technical books, which can be quite confusing, as their application chart does NOT specify if the suggested carburetor is original or aftermarket. Both are included in the chart. I have custody of copies of Book B, Book C, and Book D (I assume there was an earlier Book A, but have not seen one). The latest factory information that I have is Book D printed in 1919. I know that Rayfield continued to make carburetors in to the 1920's and would delight in finding later information, if anyone can help.

(7) And the entry in Wikipedia for the Rayfield car stated all models used downdraft Rayfield carburetors, which is incorrect - they were updrafts.

Jon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Knew an old timer George Ventress who built a Model T hot rod in the early 20s. He got a Rayfield carburetor cheap because it wouldn't work. Found the tip of the needle valve broken off. Had it soldered and filed it to shape and got it working. Got a magneto off a 1913 Cadillac, bolted it to the frame and ran it with a bicycle chain and a shaft running in an oak bearing. Got a high compression head off a 1908 T.  No body or hood or windshield just a seat. Said it would do 70 on the freshly paved Highway 2, first paved hiway in the province, 20 feet wide of smooth concrete. What a thrill.