Rebuild of a 1926 DB 4 Cylinder

Ray - The counter shaft washer is in back in place on mine! I cannot imagine trying to do any internal work on this in situ. Amazing you did not have any gear tooth damage with that much movement on the idler gears. That washer is at least 1/32" (.80 mm) Lucky guy!

I have to wonder if the bushings on yours were used to replace the roller bearing set up like I found on mine?

Spinnyhill - Thanks for the input. I just decided that for the $40.00 cost of the new bearings it was cheap insurance. The transmission was noisy but is sounded like the old oil delivery truck I drove when I was in my teens so that wasn't the reason for the change. 

Paul

Good afternoon or whatever time of day it is where you are. I guess I am being a little thick headed on the valve guide removal process. Ray I started to use the process you described but cannot see any way to press or pull on it. I have a 5/16 bolt that is plenty long but the top of the valve guide is actually part of the block casting. It looks like the bottom half of the guide that is exposed is made of a different material. Guide1.JPG.c0b5e76b42b1e697355342b16b275069.JPG

It is similar to the pictures of 4 cylinder valve guides on the Myers site. That one is obviously not cast.  

GuideM.JPG.aa77dac2187fe4a9cfa19c2d44388ddb.JPG

I tried tapping on the top of the guide and promptly broke a small piece off. (Don't pay any attention to the broken water inlet stud. That is for another day.)

Guide3.JPG.933f90fd6151719d3bcdd21e8890cbd6.JPGGuide4.JPG.76d3866c923b2cb4a481fd55925485f6.JPG

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Paul

Edited by Wheelmang
word edit (see edit history)

Hi Paul.  What I did was to make up a puller using a tube; a long nut and bolt, and a couple of thick washers. The guides, I imagine, will come out either way but I wanted to avoid marking the top of the block so I pulled them down.  I don't think they are in any way part of the block but the ribs along their length make them a tight fit.  Once you get the first one out the others will be easy, I'm sure.

Ray.

I will have to take some better pictures showing what is causing my confusion. It looks like the steel valve guide, as show from Myers, is recessed into the cast opening in the block. The top of the guide is not visible from the top of where recesses. The hole where the valve stem goes through is the same size as the ID of the valve guide. The book of information says to use a chisel when removing the valve guide. I question now if the chisel is to be used to knock the cast top portion of the guide off in order to get to the actual steel guide. Sounds very drastic to me though. 

Better pictures later. 

Paul  

With the top of the guide now broken I don't think you will get an even pull on it so I suggest try pulling it out through the top.  Take care not to bruise the block face though.  It will pull out.  No need to use a cold chisel.  Why take the risk?  These blocks are more fragile than they seem.  Don't forget to measure the new guides.  If they are oversize you could easily split the block pulling them in.  I needed to machine mine to fit.  

Ray.

Finding plenty to do while waiting what will be months before engine reassemble. One of the axle nut threads on my housing is screwed up. I have this spare that I started on yesterday and cannot how to get it disassembled. Anyone have experience with this? 

29123A62-98E8-45A7-ADA7-A1FE87879D62.jpeg

1E47EE74-945D-4EF1-B080-3EDC74808E41.jpeg

Sorry Ray - I should know better than to try and send messages from my cell phone. Here's the scenario. The axle housing that is still in my car has threads that are badly messed up on one end.

This is the refurbished one on the replacement axle.

1179618813_Bearingrace.JPG.8fc6fde82e2690f353222676a2189a3d.JPG

So I have a complete spare rear axle assembly that is now in my shop. I am trying to completely disassemble and refurbish it.

The ring and pinion are all set. (Much cleaner now that what is pictured.)

Diff.JPG.20dfe4442c5ab53200502995bfb9e20d.JPG

What I am trying to take apart now is the front portion of the diff housing.

238752732_Fronthousing.JPG.8373eb24f1614ccdf047a71124b4dffc.JPG

It has six pins three top and three bottom that appear need to be removed in order to get the housing portion off. I thought they may have been swedge pins but they did not budge even with heating up around them. 

Pins.JPG.d31c56d84ad63792559b4557b9bf0291.JPG

It also looks like the ring drive gear (no picture, I am maxed out on uploads for the day) on the end of the driveshaft cannot be pulled until this housing is off. It is pressed on with a key way. No way to a get a two or three jaw puller under that I can see. 

Your help is greatly appreciated. 

Paul

The Torque tube is factory fitted and DOES NOT come out of the housing  I see that you have removed the clamp bolt and on the other side are two bolts holding  plate Remove these and the plate and you will see a cage that is slotted This cage is screwed out and the pinion shaft and drive shaft all come out together If you have an instruction book there is a diagram in it to show how it goes 

• Thanks 1

First - This restoration is not dead! A number of factors have led to the difficult decision to back burner this until what is likely the first of next year. I really appreciate all of the input and guidance from everyone out there. The post will be revived as soon as I am able to start it up again.

Paul