322 Nailhead boost

This is most likely a pipe dream, but I recall hearing that the big rig 322s were occasionally equipped with superchargers and I have personally seen a 53 322 with a McCulloch Supercharger. I'm guessing they are maxing around 6psi of boost with the stock internals (I can't seem to find any info on hardened pistons for the 322). Is this an accurate assumption? Does anyone have documentation on 50s supercharged Nailheads? Also, what kind of modifications were made to the stock carburetors, if any? Would be a pretty interesting project...

• Like 1

I have a complete Mcculloch Supercharger waiting patiently in the closet to be installed on the 322 in my 3 speed Century. It was originally used in it's day by a guy who owned a trailer park on his 55 Buick Estate Wagon to pull trailers with.  The carbs definitely have to be gasketed to keep the somewhat "pressurized" gas from escaping. I have a manual that describes all the other slight modifications, I think stronger valve springs being one of them. Finding a supercharger originally set up for a 322 is the hard part. There quite a bit of info on the web about them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

I have a complete Mcculloch Supercharger waiting patiently in the closet to be installed on the 322 in my 3 speed Century. It was originally used in it's day by a guy who owned a trailer park on his 55 Buick Estate Wagon to pull trailers with.  The carbs definitely have to be gasketed to keep the somewhat "pressurized" gas from escaping. I have a manual that describes all the other slight modifications, I think stronger valve springs being one of them. Finding a supercharger originally set up for a 322 is the hard part. There quite a bit of info on the web about them.

MR EARL, get with it. I am on borrowed time,     statistically,     and I want a ride in that thing!  Before I reach the century mark.

Ben

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have found info about the McCulloch supercharger, but nothing about them on Nailheads. Stiffer springs makes sense, Nailheads generally have weaker springs in comparison to other motors since they don't rev that high. That might be an issue, since its already difficult to find the right springs. 

Seems to be a pretty big pipe dream. Like one of those right moment right time type of things to have all the pieces come together. Mr Lamar,  would you mind sharing what the right set up looks like?

• Like 1

https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0817-300015/1953-buick-skylark-convertible/

Centrivical supercharger. Personally, I like roots blowers much more, purely for astecics.

If I was going to use a centivical, I would probably go turbo instead.

As for what you have to do to the carburettor, that depends on how you set the blower/turbo up.

Plenty on the web on setting up for blow through on any engine, it doesn't really matter if its a nail or not.

A bit of study on boosted engines and how much boost you want compared to what you need to do to safely achieve that boost

will answer most of your questions.

Pipe dream or not, I also have a gnawing ambition to play superchargers :)

I have an SC12 supercharger here that I want to put on my little Austin

Austin bigTz.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing! That is the second 53 Skylark I've seen with a McCulloch supercharger on it.

image.png.e115a39cf659aa3c41416750311eaecf.png

image.png.cc254efc58643a512b3688ced8335ab6.png

image.png.0195351c726029650cf98a76075c5cca.png

So this is the real kit then, and not a back yard put together?

I am in the pool of turbochargers being the way to go (using waste energy vs mechanical energy is always going to be more efficient), however you can't have dual exhaust on a turbocharged engine unless you go dual turbo. There's also the issue of packaging, too. I have a single exhaust manifold that I picked up to delete the hot air valve manifold. I am curious what the actual numbers were for these engines with the McCulloch supercharger compared to stock. 50HP increase?

Thank you for the information! Great kit! As I suspected, it's a cast water inlet manifold for the support. I guess you wouldn't be able to use this kit on a dual quad manifold without relocating the supercharger. If I remember reading correctly, there is a vacuum operated solenoid on the supercharger, right? Man, Buick Gardens always has the best stuff.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Beemon said:

Thank you for the information! Great kit! As I suspected, it's a cast water inlet manifold for the support. I guess you wouldn't be able to use this kit on a dual quad manifold without relocating the supercharger. If I remember reading correctly, there is a vacuum operated solenoid on the supercharger, right? Man, Buick Gardens always has the best stuff.

You need to take a tour and sign up for the frequent shopper card.  Er... wait depends.  I've tried a few times now to only have one,  but the addiction is real.  Buick Gardens is really great though!

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Such a drag being on the opposite side of the states.. also having a VERY fixed (or lack of) college income severely limits me from anything. When I graduate, it'll definitely be on the list, if Buick Gardens will have me!

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 12:10 AM, Beemon said:

Such a drag being on the opposite side of the states.. also having a VERY fixed (or lack of) college income severely limits me from anything. When I graduate, it'll definitely be on the list, if Buick Gardens will have me!

Benjamin, it took me almost two years to pay for that supercharger. It belonged to a friend who use to build nailheads and drive beat up old 54 Skylarks while going through college pursuing a mechanical degree.

when are you graduating

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jenz38 said:

Interesting  Thopic.....

TA Performance and Schneider offers stiffer Springs...

These springs are for the later Nailheads (364 and up). As Ken found out, they do not fit well on the 322 heads. However, he also had extra lift, too, with later Nailhead rockers. I'm currently in the same boat, I have 401 Nailhead 1.6:1 rockers on my 322 currently. 

Mr Lamar,  I'm graduating hopefully Fall of next year (I'll be one semester off due to transfer classes). By the way,  I hope you don't mean my saying of "have me" as me asking for your kit or anything of that nature, I meant I would just like an excuse to travel the states and from what others have posted, Buick Gardens seems to be a beautiful, magical place. You really ought to get that thing installed!

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)
  • Like 1

didn't take it like that at all Ben,we would love to "have you" for a visit to the Gardens:D.  you remind me of my friend I bought the unit from and if ever I decide I don't want to take it with me when I "go", you'll certainly be on the list of folks I offer it up to. But just as acquiring the 3 speed Century was a dream come true, for me to give up on the supercharger would be giving up on the rest of that dream. But with aging, some dreams must be weighed against reality and decisions made for the better. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

didn't take it like that at all Ben,we would love to "have you" for a visit to the Gardens:D.  you remind me of my friend I bought the unit from and if ever I decide I don't want to take it with me when I "go", you'll certainly be on the list of folks I offer it up to. But just as acquiring the 3 speed Century was a dream come true, for me to give up on the supercharger would be giving up on the rest of that dream. But with aging, some dreams must be weighed against reality and decisions made for the better. 

You have spent ENOUGH time and moola on the "store" to have done the deed!  No more excuses. Do I need to come down there with my bullwhip?

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Beemon, as I recall, the lighter springs on the earlier Nailheads were due to the lighter valve train reciprocating components, NOT the rpm level of the engine.  They ought to be good for 5000rpm, I suspect.  In one respect, if you need to run a Buick V-8 past about 5000rpm to get done what you desire to get done, something's not right with the equipment combination, I suspect.  OR you're trying to do something you shouldn't.

Watch the Engine Masters video where they investigate how much boost a stock engine (Chevy 350 in this case) can take before it blows up.  ALSO notice the significant change in the piston ring set-up so this would happen AND why it was done.  Very significant.

You can "blow through" in two different ways.  The "as pictured" version shows the boost air going through as it would through the air cleaner (if that was still on the carb).  That means than pressurized air could force fuel out of the carb due to the pressure differential between the throttle bores and the carb's exterior vents. The other manner is to fully enclose the carb, as the supercharged Shelby Mustangs ('66?) were done.  This meant a stock carb could be used without the issue of fuel leaks or special gaskets.

Of course, the total amount of net boost will be related to how easy the flow OUT of the exhaust system is.

NTX5467

If you'll Google " backwards breathing nailheads" you'll find pictures of supercharged nailheads with specially ground cams that use the larger intake ports for exhaust and the smaller exhaust ports for intakes.  The supercharger can push more fuel through the smaller exhaust ports and then, as stated above, the bigger intake ports can scavenge more exhaust.  

Don't try to build a nailhead as you would a Chevy.  The power from the nailhead comes from the torque it produces below 5 grand.  Getting more rpm's out of a nailhead does not produce more power.  If high rpm's tickle your fancy, then you should probably be building some small block.

Buick_Nailhead_Powered_Dragster.jpg.f98e27160a6b2d317ebc5b18ba2d98bf.jpg

Edited by RivNut
Added picture (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Check out the engine in the lower right hand corner of the cover of Hot Rod Magazine from May of 1970.  The turbo charged nailhead was a factory experiment.  From what I understand, it produced so much torque that at the time GM didn't have a transmission that could handle the torque.  One turbo with an exhaust crossover pipe, through the turbo, then into a single exhaust.  

Think of the 55 - 56 Ford Y blocks with single exhaust.  The left bank exhaust went through a crossover pipe (over the water pump) and dumped into the right bank exhaust manifold then the gasses from both banks exited through a single exhaust pipe.  Bottom pictures.

buick1.thumb.jpg.0f185a5b346bcc7917303c946d11289d.jpg

e16ca1ba-2b7b-4a18-8db1-a44c.jpg.578c22309842de340a3a5edc56f2d1ed.jpg

CC-141-071-800.jpg.07fc2d3de77c6ef687d40316db67e846.jpg

• Like 4

I think you need to watch the Thomas Crown Affair and others to get your best stealth thing going on! I think that's prolley the only way to wrest that super charger kit from the current owners possesion,(sure would be great to be able to spell correctly), however, I have read that if you need supercharger performance from turbo charging on a low rpm torque engine, sizing the turbos "small", (two instead of one), they will "spool up" quickly and stop power adding when you run out of rpms anyway?

Maybe put a single exhaust driver manifold on and take the dual exhaust manifold driver side and put it on the passenger side so there's two front-dump manifolds there and then hook up dual turbos? Geez, I need to stop fantasizing about things I can't afford!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/19/2018 at 2:13 AM, Beemon said:

Geez, I need to stop fantasizing about things I can't afford!

never stopped me and I still dream about them, dreams are free..... and if just one becomes a reality, well....

I had acquired an Edmunds dual quad intake and a set of Stromberg Aeroquad 4A's and an additional duct and carb hood for the supercharger back when I was trying to make my dream a reality. Still hangin on to the dream of just the sc on the single Carter.

but wait, are you now talkin turbos instead of superchargers?

• Like 1

The topic of turbochargers came up. The McCulloch is pretty close to a modern turbo, it just doesn't harness waste energy like a turbo. It would probably be the most affordable approach since blowers are still crazy expensive and centrifugal superchargers are even more.