Guess I should have done the rod bearing sooner

Well I took my 26 DB out for a short ride on our street today. We have a pretty steep hill coming up to the house. About 1/2 way up the hill it happened, threw a rod and broke the block on the drivers side. Guess that spare that I was going to build next winter is going to get attention sooner than expected. 

Oh dear that's gotta hurt I've done a few big ends in my time and broken the the little end on a rod in my Chev 4 but lucky for me this stayed inside the pot and did no other damage, oh that's right there was the other time I done a big end and scored the bore with the gudgeon a fairly expensive sound was made not sure what caused what but I do sympathise with you ?

Thank you all for your sympathies. To answer a couple of the questions - I just didn't think it was quite as bad as it obviously was. It was making noise but the hill is pretty steep ( Bill H is familiar with it) I had to downshift to first in order to get moving and it literally went in seconds but yes it was really loud just before the bang. I have taken a closer look at the break and it may be salvageable. I have  a friend who is an excellent welder. So as long as it didn't screw up cylinder walls I am really going to try to keep it, especially since it is original to the car. I will be starting a new post on the rebuild and looking for a lot of assistance on what process will be needed.

Thanks 

Paul

Edited by Wheelmang
word edit (see edit history)
  • Like 1

You might search around at the Model T sight, MTFCA.  I've seen many interesting posts on blocks that have been brought back 'from the dead'.The older, pre-1912 or so blocks are rare enough that much effort goes into saving them.

Sorry to hear this.  Congratulations on having a spare engine on hand.

I periodically see stuff like this at the shop where I work.  Last week it was a 2010-ish Hyundai small SUV with a transverse 4 cylinder.  People ran it out of oil which no engine likes, LOL.  Number 4 rod bearing spun and the rod cap bolts quickly failed.  Cap goes flying inside the oil pan and rest of the rod gets caught between the spinning crankshaft throw and the block.  Hilarity did not ensue.  Hole straight down through the oil pan, big hole through the back of the aluminum block and smaller one out the front.  Game over for that engine.  Wish I had shop some pics.

I welded lots of blocks over the years.

If the rod made a window through a single walled part of the block, vs. through a water jacket, fixing it is usually not difficult unless the iron is some god awful alloy....... :unsure: .......and there are welding rods even for that.

• 2 weeks later...