64 Power Window Rebuild Supplies

CTX-SLPR

Hello,

One of the big things that makes me concerned about parking my Riv outside (which I have to do) is the windows no longer seal properly.  I gave up trying to align the rear windows myself and paid someone to do it who did a good job but he highly suggested that I rebuild the various rollers and other pivot points on all of the windows so they would seal properly.  The seals are new so that's not the problem, its the glass doesn't fit into the seal channels reliably when you roll the windows up and when you open the door it doesn't go back in properly either.

Anyone have a good supplier for the various rollers and other bits to rebuild the mechanisms?

Thanks

Hard saying if the rollers would be the problem, though.  Although they certainly can be worn or broken, it's more common that the rollers and/or channels get jammed up with hardened grease so that they don't roll easily.  If that's the case, you can usually clean everything up satisfactorily without a major rebuild.

And I hate to say this, but it also sounds like your windows might not be aligned as well as you'd hope.  Unless something's really buggered inside (e.g. the window is flopping around), the rear windows should reliably rise into the channels.  The hard part is usually getting the front and rear windows to work well together so that they will mate tightly irrespective of which window was open.  That usually means adjusting both windows simultaneously.

If you need them, I have some sets of window parts-regulators, tracks, pivots, windows themselves, for front and rear.  The rollers last pretty good unless it just wasn't aligned properly and just had the crap ran out of it with no grease.  They can be greased, I like a good heavy lithium, but use spray can if you are not taking the assembly apart. Very few people know how intricate the rear quarter window operation is.  The big downside is the rear window quarter glass and mount are one piece, so repairing them is tricky. Aligning is tricky and really time consuming to do right.  I have done about 6-7 rear window Alignments and each one is a little different.  Feel free to PM me, I can give you phone directions on how to align and other areas too check for damage(like the slotted pin on the regulator and the coil spring that goes in it). Happy Easter!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I redid them years ago (which doesn't mean they have received a lot of use since I've not really used the car in 10yrs) where I cleaned the channels and the rollers as well as lubed things up with white lithium grease.  I did pull both the front and rear mechanisms out entirely when I had the car painted so they wouldn't get overspray on them.  I couldn't get them to really seal right after taking them out.  That's when I ended up having someone else take care of it for me.

Last night I did mess with the passengers side and by pushing the front of the quarter window back while it was on the top of the travel it did end up in the right spot in the seal which allowed the front window to reliably seal against it.  Still not an active close but better than before.  I've not messed with the drivers door to see if I can't at least get it to seal better while it's sitting.

Dave,

Thanks for the parts offer,  I think everything is intact just worn in places.  We'll see when I dig in.

Before you rip everything apart, you might first try readjusting the windows.  Irrespective of previous efforts and expenditures, it sounds like they're not aligned correctly.

Do the door first. Make sure the vent pillar's sealing properly at the front, then make sure the window glass is fully engaged in the front channel, level across the top, doesn't come up too far, and mates well with the roof seal.  Loosen the rear window, run it all the way up and into the channel, then snug it down.  Try to close the door gently, then see what you need to move.  Does the rear window go too far forward?  Is there a gap at the bottom?  Does it need to come in or go out?  Etc., etc.  If you can get away with just tweaking the alignment, you're miles ahead -- because as time-consuming as it may be to pull the door skin and everything in the back seat, it's removing and installing the window mechanism that's the real PITA in all of this.

A small suggestion , the rear windows have many  adjustment bolts that are over 50 years old. The adjustment is via a slot in the top. remove each one at a time and run a die nut { a hex shaped die with the corresponding thread size} over the threads and run a tap through the threaded hole you took the bolt from,oil  both , replace and move onto the next one.  there is plenty of adjustment  to be done, this will at least aid the task.