HPOF: Extended Paint Warranty from the Factory?

Phillip Cole

Now that we are judging/evaluating cars from the late 80s and early 90s, how is HPOF evaluating cars where the factory gave an extended warranty for prematurely fading and peeling paint? I know GM offered this for dealers to respond to the numerous customer complaints in 1993. In other words are warranty replacements, re-paints full or partial, and/or restorations performed by dealers acceptable?

Edited by Phillip Cole
Clarity (see edit history)

IMO, if it was silver or light blue metallic, I would think so for sure.  All car manufacturers had problems with these colors starting in about 1978 and the paint issues did not slow down until somewhere in the 90's I think.  The higher sun exposure/higher ultra violet exposure the worse the issue. (Florida/ Denver as examples)

Phillip,

As you know, your current white 1989 Buick had the hood, roof, and trunk repainted sometime in the past. I was told that it was repainted under warranty but can't prove it since the prior owner did not have any written documentation of it. The car did previously certify as HPOF and as AACA Original after that partial repaint.