Sad news - passing of Mike Werckle, MD - VMCCA past president

Marty Roth

It is with sadness and a true sense of loss that I report the sudden and unexpected passing of VMCCA Past National President and current Exec. Vice President Mike Werckle on Wednesday night, March 28, 2018.

Mike was an ardent enthusiast, a tour driver, a personal friend, and a true friend to the vintage vehicle hobby.

Mike and Patti had returned to their home in Caledonia, just outside of Rockford, Illinois from a gathering where he had been honored. "Dr. Mike" passed comfortably in his sleep.

Mike and Patti's son Michael noted the following via Facebook, more succinctly than I possible could, per "Dr. Mike's passing:

It’s with great sadness we share the news of the sudden and unexpected passing of Dr. Michael Werckle.

Dr. Werckle was a beloved member of the University of Illinois College of Medicine Rockford faculty for over 40 years where he served in many leadership roles. He was a valued member of the Dean’s Action Council and received numerous honors and awards during his tenure, including the Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism in Medicine Award, the Golden Apple Award for Teaching Excellence and the Faculty Distinguished Service Award.

Dr. Werckle was in attendance as he was honored last evening by the College at the formal investitures of Drs. Li and Mathew through the establishment of the Michael A. Werckle, MD, Endowed Professorship in Biomedical Sciences. This distinguished honor was the highlight of Dr. Werckle’s life’s work and will serve as a long-lasting tribute to his legacy as a compassionate physician, respected educator and public servant.

Having toured for decades with Mike and Patti, sharing both the joys and the difficulties of old cars, family, and health, and the wonderful memories of times and travels together, I can only add my gratitude for having had Dr. Mike and his lovely bride Patti in our lives and the lives of our family.

The words of this traditional Gaelic Blessing seem appropriate:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

... and some might add,
"and may you be in Heaven half-an-Hour before the Devil knows you're gone" 

There will be a visitation the evening of Friday April 6th at Olson Funeral Home, details pending. Service at 2pm April 7th at UIC Rockford School of Medicine. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Dr. Werckle's most recent endeavor, Hospice Care of America.

Chris & I  had the pleasure of knowing Mike he was a great guy and always great to tour with him  and Patty . Will miss him on tours  Howard & Chris

• Thanks 1

Guest Mark McAlpine

I never had the pleasure of meeting Mike Werckle, but from the comments I've heard from members in our region who knew him (e.g., Terry Bond) and comments here on the AACA Forum, it seems I missed meeting a special person who contributed a lot to our hobby.  May God welcome Mike into his loving embrace and comfort his family.  My sincere condolences.