Can anybody ID this?

db123

10 minutes ago, lump said:

I notice one side caved in.

Without the hood ornament, it would make a very fun multi-person toboggan...albeit a dangerous one. (ask me how I know)

Just tie a rope to the hole in the front and its ready for bumper sledding.

Edited by Brass is Best (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lump said:

I notice one side caved in.

Without the hood ornament, it would make a very fun multi-person toboggan...albeit a dangerous one. (ask me how I know)

The fastest toboggans or sleds were old curved windshields. They were good for maybe 2 short runs   (don't ask me how I know or survived)

37 minutes ago, 36 D2 Coupe said:

HAHAHA :lol: All us old farmers have had intimate associations with a stone boat. Used for picking up stones off the field and hauling them away behind a tractor. Especially fun on a 98 degree day in the blazing sun!!!

A close second to bailing hay.

Stone boat was a low flat sledge pulled by a horse or tractor. You walked beside it picking up stones and throwing them in the stone boat. At the end of the row you threw the stones in the fence row. Had to be done before planting or after harvest. I don't know where they kept coming from but you could harvest quite a crop of stones every few years. Use the same stones to make a cobblestone driveway and they will sink out of site in the mud and disappear. How they know to float to the surface in a field and sink in a drive way is beyond me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 36 D2 Coupe said:

stone boat. Used for picking up stones off the field and hauling them away behind a tractor.

Reminds me of the story my grandfather told of his WWI service. He was in cavalry and before they could ride much they would line up in a field and walk across, rolling all the stones in front of them as they went. Eventually they would make a pile on the side. Many of those piles are still visible.

He didn't get to the war though. A horse reared and crushed his knee so he was invalided out.

When I was a young teenager, my dad took me and my sled to a nearby park, and tied a rope to the rear bumper of our 57 Chevy convertible (daily driver), and pulled me all over the park at what seemed like high speeds. LOL. I had an absolute blast...literally. The Chevy didn't have snow tires, and as we drove on park roads which had not been plowed, the car spun the rear tires constantly as it tried to plow through 6" of fresh-fallen snow. We were moving too fast for me to let go with one hand to wipe my face, so I literally had snow packed about 3 inches thick over my entire face. I remember shaking my head to try and lose enough snow so I could see. But in a few seconds, I was covered again. When he hit curves, I shot off the sled and slid a long distance every time...seemed like several hundred feet...but was more likely about 50 or 60 ft. Wow, that was fun...and cold!