Just search on Ebay.  There appear to be lots of small manufacturers and many of them are priced similarly at less than $100 complete with casters. I bought two a few years ago from a maker in Missouri but I cannot recall his name, for my AMC V8 engines.  Or google engine cradles and search on images for one that looks good to you.  Joe

I am good now with an engine stand but some bad news came my way. I received a call from the body man who was to start on my T-Bird this month and he is unable to help me. He is having health issues and I told him that his health is much more important than my T-Bird. I have found another man in the business and will pay him a visit one day this week. Will let you know how the visit goes. I will request references to verify his skill set.

Larry

The body man I contracted called me about 3 weeks ago and said he would not be able to help with the restoration as he now has some health issues. I have found another highly recommended body man so the restoration will start next Monday, May 28. We will start by pulling the engine and transmission. Will pull the fuel tank and exhaust system to allow complete entry into the underneath of the car. The engine will get checked for possible overhaul. Both the engine and transmission will get painted. The underneath will be cleaned and a rust inhibitor applied followed by primer and paint. Car will then be media blasted, body checked for potential rust repair then appropriate body work followed by paint. I will post pictures for you to see.

Larry

• Like 1

I was nine years old in 1956, when I fell in love with a 1956 Thunderbird that was being given away by a local grocery store.  I talked my parents into shopping there, so that I could get tickets in the hope of winning the car.  Of course, I did not win, but that was the genesis of my desire to own a '56 TBird.

Fifty-six years later, I realized my dream of owning a '56 Thunderbird.  An extensive internet search resulted in finding a nice Fiesta Red car that had the same owner for 20 years. His 20 year record of service came with the car.   It was complete and rust free, but needed some TLC.  Like you, I decided to do a ground up restoration.  I took it to a local shop here in Georgia, where the restoration was completed.

I look forward to seeing how your car turns out.  I know it will be beautiful.

DSCN1527.JPG

DSCN1576.JPG

DSCN1534.JPG

Edited by eboose7
I made some typographical errors. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

EBoose7, What a beautiful car you have, congratulations. I have a black top also but I keep my hardtop on at all times. I am looking forward to the restoration and I can only hope that mine turns  out as good as yours. Wow what a beautiful car. Will keep all of you posted throughout the process.

Regards to all,

Larry Phillips

EBoose7, Was your T-Bird painted with a one stage paint or did you apply a base coat followed by clear? Do you mind telling me the brand of paint you used. Everyone has an opinion but the proof is in the looks and I wondered which yours was. I also think your interior looks fantastic. Do you mind telling me what supplier you purchased your parts from? I know we are not supposed to identify names on this thread so here is my personal email address. Phillips.larryc@gmail.com

I will be appreciative of any information you can give me and it will be kept confidential. Thanks for your help. We both have a lot in common with our cars.

Larry Phillips

Evans, GA 30809

Here we are near the end of June and I am now just getting started with my restoration. The motor and transmission are out, engine bay empty, and both bumpers off along with some outside chrome pieces.. I had the underneath pressure washed and as earlier thought the frame is in great shape with no rust. The car is now in Clearwater, SC with the body man. The second picture (the first being my first posting) is attached. It is hot here so going forward will most likely be slow. 

2076755682_IMG_0771(1).JPG.81f1502ddb7ba9256202283ea4555a6b.JPG

For a good rotisserie try Greg Smith equipment. I’ve been using mine for years with no issues, both for bodies and chassis. When you’re done you can sell it used for close to what you paid for it new. For an engine dolly, my best ones have been made with large wood framed furniture dollies with 2x6 framework to support the motor along the oil pan. Super stable and easy to move around. When you’re done with the motor, unscrew the 2x6 frame and use it for something else.

It is now October 11, 2018 and I am just now feeling good enough to give you an update on my restoration. Only the engine bay has been painted so the engine and transmission can be installed so the body man can move the car at will since he has other commitments for some smaller jobs to which I totally understand. He works out of a shop behind his house. He retired with 40 years of service in a paint and body shop here in Evans, GA. So when the mechanic took the heads off the engine he knew the engine had been recently overhauled and nothing further had to be done. Most likely overhauled by the owner previous to the one I purchased it from. The previous owner told me that the man who he purchased it from was grumpy and did not supply much information to him. 

I thought I had someone lined up during my illness to take before and after pictures. Good luck with that one. I have some finish pictures that I will share of the painted motor and transmission (T-Bird red). Several new parts were purchased such as starter, master cylinder, blower motor, fuel tank, stainless exhaust, and other parts too numerous to mention. The underneath had only minor surface rust which we thoroughly cleaned and sprayed a rust inhibitor then sprayed a 3-M product on the frame. The underneath is a showcase. It looks great. 

The car is now running. It sat at the mechanic's shop for 5 weeks before he installed the parts I mentioned above. He had the car for a total of 7 weeks. The car is now at the body shop. During the time at the mechanic shop I lost my place at the body shop so I am waiting for him to complete the body work and paint. I purchased a new vinyl upholstery kit. The reason for vinyl was I wanted the embossment on the back rest which I could not get with leather which I preferred, even though not OEM. I hope you enjoy the pictures and if

1792544003_Motor-PaintedReadyForInstall-9-21-2018.JPG.bae65e17a94b2027ae5c69f67865be4e.JPGnot please let me know. You will not offend me.IMG_0920.thumb.JPG.44bd0083d0f3b6490282cbcc532aaf52.JPG

Engine Bay Painted & Ready For Install.JPG

Transmission - Painted - 9-21-2018.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

• Like 2