A book of steam engine usage

yachtflame

Hello,

I realize this isn’t about cars but I’m figuring that along with antique autos,  many of us  have various other interests.

A friend and I are contemplating using the excess heat from keeping our shop warm to help generate electricity. We have the electrical end of a 30kw generator and are being offered a steam engine. We are reasonably intelligent fellows that only know the basics of steam power.

I was wondering if any one here can suggest a book that might help us turn our separate pieces of metal into one that can help run a shop. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne Elsworth

Amherst MA

Interesting.  In my area, if you can make electricity you can sell it to your power company.  I understand by law, they must buy it.  The generator is the easy part.  A steam turbine is another can of worms.  It will take only high pressure steam and lots of it.  You must also rotate your generator to produce a 60 Herz frequency and it must be in sync with your incoming power frequency if you tie the two together in any way.  A better idea might be to generate the ‘rough’ ac and convert to dc.  You could then use the dc as is, separate wires of course, or using an inverter, convert back to ac.  There are will be power losses but it free, right.

• Like 1

It's an interesting idea, too bad it won't work. You would be better off to add a heat exchanger, or improve your heating system to capture the waste heat to heat your shop.

Here is a wild idea. Build a boiler that is heated by mirrors reflecting the sun. Use it to drive your steam engine. This has been done by the way. 40 ordinary mirrors 3 feet square, all focused on the same spot, will turn 2" thick armor plate steel white hot and melt it into a puddle in less than 5 minutes.

First you want to find out what kind of engine it is... They are just like cars, most builders had a different idea what methods worked best.  The steam valve is the biggest wild card, several different designs.   As usual pictures will help immensely, but a close second is maker.   When you know who made it you can find a book that talks about your specific brand. 

You might look up "The Stemgas Publishing Company"  They have reprints of many books relating to steam engines.  The one I have is "Steam Engine Guide" which is a 1978 reprint of a 1910 reprint of "Threshers Guide" by the American Thresherman of Madison Wisconsin.  Interesting now that I have the book off the shelf the name and address written on the inside of the book is just one block from where I live.  It is a 7 1/2 by 11 book of 119 pages.  I paid $20 for it.  I would be willing to sell it for the same price if you were to pay the postage.

All the steam powered generators I am familiar with turn 3600rpm, but their may be others that rotate at different speeds.  I would think  it would take a heck of a gear box to get rpm like that from a steam engine.  But, I watch YouTube and people are always coming up with a better mouse trap.

Please explain what you mean by excess heat.  All hydonic systems reuse the water and just brings the water back up to temperature.  It's not a like a heat engine where mechanical energy is created as the fluid goes from hot to cold.  Heating systems have pumps.  If you have steam heat, again the stem gives off heat to heat your space and then it shuts down.  If you are referring to the exhaust gases resulting in the heating process you might have some option other than a heat exchanged mention by someone else.  Perhaps a slow turbo just as exhaust gases drive the turbochargers, but it may end up just being a drag on the combustion fan but there is expansion present.  Another item that might be interesting is the Stirling cycle I believe it was called.  It was an external combustion engine that used warm air to move pistons as I recall.  It was the hot thing in the Seventies, but apparently didn't go far.  Your flue gases may be able to drive it.

You will need a small magnet. Use it to determine the ferrous metal parts of the two pieces you have. After disassembly, put the ferrous metal in one container. Then separate the nonferrous by color, copper in one barrel, aluminum in another. Take the three containers to a scrap yard. They will give you cash to pay for the electric.

And always turn the lights off if you leave the building.

Bernie

One important thing to remember about a steam engine is that the engine is only 1/2 of the prime mover. You need a source of pressurised steam as well, usually a boiler. Steam boilers are expensive , require regular inspection and certification , and require licenced operators.  Just ask around at a Thresherman's group how much red tape and expense there is to run a traction engine.  Steam engines are interesting and generally cheap, but they are useless without a boiler. As a licenced Marine Engineer I am able to operate a reasonably good sized boiler, however attaining the certification is not something many hobbyists are able to do or willing to invest in.

A lot of heating systems these days are what people assume are steam. They are in fact similar to boilers but do not develop any real pressure. The very low pressure eliminates the need for a lot of the certification. However you will not generate any electric power with a low pressure system. Any Stationary or Marine Engineer text will give you any and all the info you need. Then you just have to log your firing time under the direction of a licenced Engineer, and sit the exams.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Why do you think I am a bit cantankerous at times Bernie. Too many graveyard shifts covered in soot punching tubes. Most of the boilers I work on are relatively small fire tube units. The ships I work on are only using them for heat and auxiliary steam. The big water tube units like the Navy uses for propulsion are outside my experience.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting and fun project? Probably. Expensive? Oh yeah. Practical? Not at all. Cost effective? Not a chance. But have at it boys. Pix please. Sounds like a good excuse to spend afternoons tinkering and drinking beer rather than going shopping with the woman. ...................Bob