Robert Street

Charging the breakaway battery?

Just curious I always thought the trailer little break away battery was charged when the tow rig was hooked and was charging the large house batteries. But... no obvious connection and interesting there is a printed circuit board in the little battery box.

Robert

Depends on the wiring of the tow vehicle and the trailer.  Take the top off the break away battery and see if there are any electronics under the lid.  I would doubt it.  Just a guess based on experience.

Mine has to be charged separately. My older model charger didn't have a cutoff feature and that little battery swelled up like a grapefruit ! I use a 2 amp.charger on it now and keep an eye on it .

21 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Depends on the wiring of the tow vehicle and the trailer.  Take the top off the break away battery and see if there are any electronics under the lid.  I would doubt it.  Just a guess based on experience.

I agree about it depending on the wiring. The breakaway battery for my trailer has a small electronic device in the wiring just before the connectors to the battery.

The way my tow vehicle and trailer are wired the brake away battery as well as the winch battery inside the trailer are charged by the tow vehicle when it is running and connected to the trailer.

During the season I put a Battery Tender charger on the trailer winch battery. That connection also charges my breakaway battery. In the off season I bring both batteries indoors and put them on the Battery Tender. I got 7 years out of the first winch battery and I am going into year 6 with the second winch battery. Last year I replaced the original breakaway battery after 12 years. It still worked okay but I thought it was time to retire it.

Charlie

The battery box is well under the trailer with my ATC trailer thus not easily accessible.  I guess best choice is to contact ATC for wiring diagram for my trailer?

Robert

I have wondered how to maintain the breakaway battery during those months the trailer doesn’t get used. At my local trailer dealer recently, I saw that he had assembled a piece of plywood with some bolts marked + and - , connected them via a pigtail to a round 7-pin receptacle like you would have on the back of tow vehicle. Then he could hook up a battery charger to charge any trailer-mounted batteries.  I think I’ll assemble one of these and use a small solar charger to keep the break-away battery topped up.  My trailer gets parked a long way from a convenient AC outlet.