1927 P-A with Tesla Patent

jeff_a

I am curious about the following I saw on a 1927 Pierce-Arrow for sale on Hemmings, 12/12/16:

"TESLA PATENT DEC. 1916".......I believe it was on the instrument panel.

Could this have been for a minor electrical component like a capacitor, or something involving radio or a wireless instrument readout? I don't know myself, and maybe this is rarely visible on Pierce-Arrows.

Thanks

Thank you. I did a little patent search and find that there is a 1916 Tesla Patent that applies not so much to Pierce-Arrow, but to Waltham. Tesla filed  patent 1,209,359 on 5/29/14 for a speed indicator driven by a a viscous fluid or air coupling. It could be used to record m.p.h. or r.p.m. functions. There are even Waltham Watch Co. of Massachusetts ads showing an instrument recognizable for 1920s use on Pierce-Arrow, Peerless, and Packard motor cars combining Odometer, Speedometer, Clock, and Trip Odometer functions. Text:

• "...there is  only one air-friction speedometer in all the world."
  • "(Invented by Nikola Tesla)"
  • "Developed and perfected by Waltham."

5b7bfe4383136247105c6539706bd3ca.jpg

image a la Pinterest

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

• 8 months later...

You will find that at least some model L   Lincoln used the Waltham clock and speedometer set,  as did the 6 cylinder Series 6 Mercer with Rochester Trego OHV engine.  The spring-return speedometer shell with the numbers is incredibly thin and fragile.  I am not aware of any person with skill and knowledge to repair one of these if damaged.

Edited by Ivan Saxton
System sometimes shows a will of its own. This has been the first time I have been able to correct (see edit history)