Nailhead bolt info

RivNut

Has anyone compiled a list of nailhead engine bolts?  To include the type of head - hex or hex w/ built in flange, thread count, length, what the end of the bolt looks like - square or tapered, where they're used, and any other information.  The firms that produce the stainless kits list what bolts are in  their kits, but no dimensions.

I have a really big box of bolts and I would like to I D them and sort them into bins for easy picking. I also have a couple of bolts that I'll post pictures of to see if anyone can identify them and tell me whar their use might be.  The chassis manual tell the thread count and torque but no other dimensions.

Ed,

The online Buick Illustrated parts catalog may have what you are looking for in a visual form:

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/members/AardvarkPublisherAttachments/9990416849383/1940-1972_Buick_Parts_Illustrations_-_Group_0.00_Engine___Clutch.pdf

The corresponding Parts catalog may be more specific with the bolt specifications:

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/members/AardvarkPublisherAttachments/9990416696362/1940-1972_Buick_Parts_Catalog_-_Group_0.00_Engine___Clutch.pdf

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)

43 minutes ago, NC68Riviera said:

I perused both of the sources you posted.  I saw references to inline 8s from the fifties, inline 6s from the 60s, 350 and 430/455 V8s but nothing for a nailhead.  Most of the bolts wwre referenced NL, whatever that means.

Thanks but not what I'm looking for. 

Ec

NL usually means "Not Listed".

Maybe Russ Martin (Centerville Auto Repair) has something you could use.  http://centervilleautorepair.com/

He is extremely knowledgeable about Nailheads.

If he doesn't have something you can buy or borrow, he might know where you can find what you need.

20 minutes ago, telriv said:

Since I've done so many engine rebuilds I can usually I.D. most engine bolts.

Send pics.

? Will do.  Right now I have a bunch of head bolts separated by length and all the rest separated by thread count, regardless of length.  These are all extra bolts and I figured if I could ID them, I could have some available should others need them.

I just found all the bolts from my motor tear down.  They're all in sorted and labeled in a bunch of sandwich bags. I guess the ones I wanted identified are just a bunch of extras. Whew!

But in that bunch of extras there are a couple of odd ones.  Pictured below are a couple that I cant ID.  Any help would be appreciated.20180326_145214.thumb.jpg.269145fce6e3266fbd2bcd705be6f100.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Ted "Wildcat65" Nagel said:

The one on the right looks like the intake manifold bolt for the front passenger side - extension holds the hot water vacuum valve.  (if I'm right) :)

Yes the one on the far right is an intake bolt. It goes in the front passenger side and also holds the bracket for the heater control valve.

Loren