plymouth transmission decoders

shovelheads

hey there.   I am new to this site.   actually never needed a forum before.  I build older harleys from the 70s mainly and this is my first car build.   a 1940 plymouth p10 business coupe.   I am having problems finding a transmission decoder.   the bellhousing serial no is 853853-4 and the tailshaft is 853880-5.    i actually do not have the vehicle yet.  it is being shipped from montana.   i believe it to be a 3 speed fluid drive transmission but am wanting to make sure and also i can't find anywhere a manual for rebuilding this transmission.   please help me

Providing it hasn't been swapped it should just be a standard 3 speed transmission. They are pretty much the same from 1940 to 1955 and most everything will interchange. 1940 has a "fast" 2nd gear that some people like to swap into their later transmissions. I've been through many of them and there's nothing very critical or intense about them. 

Motor's auto repair manuals have a procedure for going through one. They're available on eBay usually cheap. I wouldn't go new then early 50s.

20180325_115412.jpg

20180325_115346.jpg

Fluid drive was more a dodge thing, but with some work one could be put in a Plymouth, to my knowledge it was never a factory option. The best upgrade that can be done to improve top end speeds is an overdrive transmission. 1940 was the first year for a true column shifted transmission and they stuck with that design for years. Shifter arms on the transmissions changed but your 1940 arms will bolt on and work up to 1955-56 ish when they switched to a much longer tailshaft on the transmissions. 

On 3/26/2018 at 2:10 PM, Spinneyhill said:

When you get the car, post the numbers etc. cast into the transmission case. The Hollander might just tell you if that is the correct transmission for a 1940 Plymouth.

There should also be a date stamped on one of the machined surfaces. Either in front or behind the side cover.

The Hollander shows the 1940-48 Std trans. had case 853853. It is a T243 transmission.

In the parts interchange section it says the case no. is 1139155. That is also the number in the transm. units section for '49-51 Std trans.. I am confused now. It looks like either might be fitted?