Gas tank

jsheridan64

Hello I am new to this site, however I recently bought a 1948 Chevrolet thrift master 3600 off of my dad. The body is in pretty good shape and it was running up until about 6 years ago when he took it to a mechanic to work on and the guy did not do anything with it for 6 years (gas lines are bad now as well shocking). When my dad took it to the guy the gas tank was having issues and was rusting out. I took it to a shop close to where I live about 3 months ago, where they have tried 3 different gas tanks and none of them have worked. They are assuming that the bed is a different year than the cab but cannot figure out what year the bed would be. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to figure out the year of the bed or if there is something else we should try doing?

20171107_155134.jpg

Google 1947-54 Chevy truck parts and several companies come up. One is Classic Chevy Truck parts. They offer both the behind the seat tank and the under bed tank for 48-54 trucks. I thought that most of the tanks were in the cab behind the seat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsheridan64 said:

This one is under the bed but the mechanic I am with ordered one for a 1948 got it in and it did not match up. The original tank that does fit is all rusted out and we cannot use.

Jsheridan, 

I suggest that you should take the old tank outside on a cloudy day and photograph it carefully from every angle. (cloudy days are perfect for good photos). Then measure it along all important dimensions. (You might even photograph it with the tape measure still stretched across it, and a number written on a tag beside it with the actual measurement, so the camera lens can see it). 

The point is that there are some very good reproduction fuel tanks on the market today for the GM pickups of this generation. But with more than one design likely having been used over the years, you may benefit by showing potential suppliers EXACTLY what your old tank looks like and what its dimensions are, by looking at your photos and measurements. Then there is a fair chance that they may be able to select the right one for you. 

Neat truck. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Measure the area the tank is going into and then go to “just tanks” or search gas tanks on line. Most sites go by size or model/ year. Many options will work but the size of opening is the controlling factor.  I did this on my 49 Ford F3 and had three or four options to choose from. 

Welcome to the AACA site, it’s a nice looking truck. Have fun. 

Dave S 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

JSheridan, 

I just checked Auto Metal Direct's website, and they offer brand new gas tanks for that vehicle. In my years of fooling around with old Chevy's, I don't recall anyone ever having trouble finding replacement tanks that fit correctly for 1949 to first-series 1955 GM pickups. So maybe these are indeed the correct tank for yours?

Here is a link: Gas tank for 1949 - 55 (first series) Chevy truck

And as I said before, regardless of which company you want to order a brand new fuel tank from, if you will just send them good clear photos of your old tank, I'm sure they will send you the correct replacement. And as far as I am concerned, there is NOTHING as good for an old fuel system as a brand new, un-rusted fuel tank. Cheers! 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2018 at 12:46 PM, jsheridan64 said:

This one is under the bed but the mechanic I am with ordered one for a 1948 got it in and it did not match up. The original tank that does fit is all rusted out and we cannot use.

By the way, according to the website I checked, the 1947 and 48 Chevy pickup used a different fuel tank from the 1949 to 1955 (first series) pickups. So you may very well be fine if you order a new tank for the correct year. 

• Like 1