263 oil filter

BarracudaKevin51

Do you have a NAPA Store near you.  When I go in to get an oil filter, they apologize for not having one in stock but the warehouse will get one the next day.  Also points, plugs, condenser, etc.

Also, try posting on the Buick forum.  The Buick club is known as an excellent source.

What's the number on the top of the cartridge?  You have to remove the lid to look for it.  That's the number NAPA or any other decent parts house will cross--and if they can't we probably can.  Don't lose or abuse the gasket under the lid--you may have to re-use it.

OK, so I went to the garage and consulted the 1997 Wix Master Catalog.  It shows that  51126 fits '49-'53 Buicks--and nothing else.  Element dimensions are height 4.958, OD = 4.092, ID = 0.533.  Gasket is #15039 with these dimensions: OD = 5.125, ID = 4.375, thickness = 0.070.

If they don't show a match, either..

1.  Check for an AC Filter for 1949-53 straight 8, which should start with PF...  (my AC filter book is well buried. Perhaps someone has the AC number for a FACTORY oil filter (many of these were installed by dealers and can be any size--yours is factory)

2. Check the NAPA book's dimensional section for the next closest that will fit in the can.

You'll also need a suction gun to clean out the can, then wipe out with lint-free towels.

Be sure to fill the can almost full with oil after the new element is in, before you re-fit the lid.

Baldwin P26!  Bought mine from a Peterbilt truck dealer .  Had bought one from one of the restoration parts houses and received the Baldwin P26.  Bought a case of them from the Peterbilt dealer.

In rebuttal to Grimey's last sentence,  my filter has a drain plug.

Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you grimy and Ben. My backseat area is completely full of parts that came with a car when I bought it. I will send whatever pics I can. The person I bought this car from stripped it and had it painted 20 years ago and all of the Chrome redone from front to back. He never put it back together and it has never been out of the garage. All the Chrome was wrapped. 

20180202_210528.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like AC superseded the p-127 by p-115 in the late eighties. It is slightly larger od of 5.5" and p115 still shows as a good number in the ACDelco system .Should be easier to cross or find. The Baldwin mentioned above is a good filter.

Dave

8 hours ago, Dave39MD said:

Looks like AC superseded the p-127 by p-115 in the late eighties. It is slightly larger od of 5.5" and p115 still shows as a good number in the ACDelco system .Should be easier to cross or find. The Baldwin mentioned above is a good filter.

Dave

Thank you grimy and Ben. My backseat area is completely full of parts that came with a car when I bought it. I will send whatever pics I can. The person I bought this car from stripped it and had it painted 20 years ago and all of the Chrome redone from front to back. He never put it back together and it has never been out of the garage. All the Chrome was wrapped. 

I use the Baldwin P26 from Bob's in my 1949 Super, which has its original P-127 canister. The element that NAPA sells is a bit too tall even though they say that it is the correct one for this application. Fram used to sell the correct element.  I suspect that they sourced it from Baldwin.

IMG_20170711_190532028_HDR.jpg

26 minutes ago, Grimy said:

Often you can find these filters for $1-$3 each; at that price, stock up!

I would like to find the PF-122 oil filter cartridges for my '58 Buick's at that price and would definitely stock up!!

The last swap meet I saw one a year ago the guy wanted 20 bucks. 

I went to the local Parts store the next Monday and they wanted $14.95 new plus the 13% sales tax...

The biggest problem I have even new is the canister gaskets. They are usually hard / stiff and with being packed in the box the way they are done, will not flatten without breaking.

I have one soaking in transmission oil for quite awhile now and see if that softens up enough.

$3 a piece? I'll give you $4 ea and buy as many as you can supply!

(especially if the transmission oil works at softening the gaskets)

15 minutes ago, dei said:

would like to find the PF-122 oil filter cartridges for my '58 Buick's at that price and would definitely stock up!!

Doug, if you look for equivalent aftermarket-brand numbers, I'll bet those are much more reasonable.  For one-only filters that don't also fit industrial applications, it's more difficult.  I dare say Buick collectors have been hot after OEM AC PF-122s for decades, but how many are looking for the Baldwin/Fram/Purolator equivalents?

16 minutes ago, dei said:

The biggest problem I have even new is the canister gaskets. They are usually hard / stiff and with being packed in the box the way they are done, will not flatten without breaking.

I have one soaking in transmission oil for quite awhile now and see if that softens up enough.

Agreed, that's why I posted the gasket number and dimensions from the Wix catalog for Kevin.  They may be available as separate parts from an industrial supplier (McMaster-Carr?) by either the Wix p/n or, more likely, by dimensions.  If you think you have problems, try finding top and bottom gaskets for a 1925 Pierce oil filter housing, which originally contained ten felt discs!  I measured the surfaces and found the gaskets by dimensions at a local supply house (non-automotive); needless to say, I bought several sets.  And a Fram filter CH-192PL (1949 Chrysler) fits the housing perfectly as a better substitute for the discs.  Dimensions are our friend!

If you wish, I'll look in the Wix catalog for your gasket dimensions and p/n.

• Thanks 1

I'd appreciate the lookup on the gaskets Sir! (not to take away from BarracudaKevin51's thread on his 263 oil filter. Send me a PM if better)

I currently have three AC's and pretty sure a CH- one also (if I look in the garage where the Special is parked).

Thanks,

Doug

I have been reading this topic and each time I default to the idea if it was my car you would probably open the cover and find no filter cartridge at all.

With an average of, maybe 3,000 miles per year and a fall oil change to remove anything acidic during storage, a collector car never really sees dirty oil. Then when you figure it is a sidestream filtration unit rather than full flow, it is a poor system anyway. The oil is pumping down the galley and comes to a 90 degree turn where it can change direction and head for the filter or continue on its inertiatic way (I stole that from a theology book, yep, stole a term from theology and messed with it, didn't get much from that book).

All of my old cars have full flow oil filters so I use them. I don't think I have fuel filters in all the cars. Like the oil, I expect clean fuel and tanks. I keep them full so rust doesn't form from condensation. Last year I had two carbs apart, one on my '60 Electra and the other from the '48 Packard. The Buick carb had been services 14 or 15 years ago, clean as a whistle inside. The Packard was done by me 3 years ago. The previous owner had that tank removed and cleaned in a "professional" restoration shop. That carb looked like the floor of a sandpaper factory. Had I kept the car I would have cleaned it correctly.

Point is, collector car usage negates a lot of the reason for filters, at least in my case.

Bernie