BCA 2018 Denver Meet Prewar Buick Parking

Mark Shaw

3 hours ago, old-tank said:

All of the cars I take to meets recently are 'driven' or 'display'.  All were previously judged, I proved  a point that 7 years of work that I did myself will get you a Senior;  I also proved that you can get  Senior on a driven to the meet car;  I had a blast doing that and will fight to keep that available to others.  Many of the  'driven' or 'display' cars are retired judged cars.

I fail to see how someones' idea of 'fun' is affecting your ability to have fun.   

Who gives a rat's ass how many are judged...you do I guess.

old-tank,

If you look a bit closer, you will see that I was answering KongaMan's question.  

Perhaps I'm missing something?  If the vehicles are parked in strict chronological order of model year manufacture, will they not be parked in the same basic orientation as the BCA 400 Point judged classes?  To do so correctly, might designated parking space assignments also be needed?  Hand out maps of the show field to spectators so they can go directly to the vehicles they are most interested in, not having to "wade through" others in the process.  Within this parking arrangement, member-vehicles of each BCA Division could have appropriate signage of this fact, including the BDE.  BUT, this level of execution might take more effort than some might desire, by observation.  Not making a judgment of this, just speculation it might happen.

I'll admit it's been a while since I've been to a BCA National Meet, but that does not mean I have no interest in them and how they are run each year.  IF I wasn't interested, I would not be in this discussion.  In being in this discussion, I've been able to draw-out some individuals' orientations on various aspects of the BCA National Meet event, whether in this discussion or in private messages.  That gives me a better insight into the words I read in this thread.  And this has been going on in other thread-subjects, too.  As I weigh the many orientations of other posters in these areas, to see where their "agendas" might be.  NOT in an orientation to judge "right" or "not right", but to see what ultimate solutions might be possible for the best benefit of the organization.  I realize that some of my posts might be a little long, I appreciate your tolerance of that and thank you for reading  and responding to them.

It would be nice if the venue for each year's national meet was more generic in size and configuration, but as each location has it's own unique aspects, each year's car parking map usually is different in some respects.  As we've found out, local venue managers are really "care takers" rather than acting like "owners", which they generally are not.  This can add a new set of dynamics into the whole mix.  Having a meet at a hotel where the BCA meet participants are not the sole occupiers of the venue, a whole different set of dynamics can happen, by observation.  And, how this all plays out can be dependent upon which region of the nation the BCA National Meet might be held, it seems.

In the most simplistic orientation, "all together parking" at a BCA National Meet would mean "parking all of the Buicks on the same show field" . . . all together.

Enjoy whenever necessary,

Willis Bell    20811

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, old-tank said:

someone else I fail to see how someones' idea of 'fun' is affecting your ability to have fun.   

As the saying goes, your right to swing your fist ends at my nose. ?  It isn't about whether you're having fun; it's about whether someone else is forced to defer to your fun.

8 hours ago, old-tank said:

Who gives a rat's ass how many are judged...you do I guess.

It isn't how many are judged that is the issue; it's how that judging seems to take precedence over what might otherwise be a more sensible and inclusive layout.

As a spectator, I'd like to see cars ordered chronologically.  I'd like to see the mechanical and design progression between years and models.  I'd like to be able to compare an original car to a restored car, side by side.  If there are four 1938 Century coupes at the show, I'd like to see them parked together so I can get a broader education.  If there are four 1938 Specials on display, I'd like to see them parked right next to the Centurys so I can go back and forth.  I don't care if all or none of those cars are being judged, or if they're unrestored, over-restored, or poorly restored, but it seems counter to a goal of education and camaraderie if they're scattered all over the field.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KongaMan said:

It isn't how many are judged that is the issue; it's how that judging seems to take precedence over what might otherwise be a more sensible and inclusive layout.

As a spectator, I'd like to see cars ordered chronologically.  I'd like to see the mechanical and design progression between years and models.  I'd like to be able to compare an original car to a restored car, side by side.  If there are four 1938 Century coupes at the show, I'd like to see them parked together so I can get a broader education.  If there are four 1938 Specials on display, I'd like to see them parked right next to the Centurys so I can go back and forth.  I don't care if all or none of those cars are being judged, or if they're unrestored, over-restored, or poorly restored, but it seems counter to a goal of education and camaraderie if they're scattered all over the field

KongaMan,

Well said, especially the underlined sections...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, old-tank said:

Yeah, right...that makes a lot of sense.

It makes all kinds of sense in the context of non-judged cars (i.e. the majority) being forced to move in deference to judged cars (i.e. the minority).  That seems a clear stratification of the membership.  Based on the numbers from the 2014 meet, there are about 300 cars on display.  You could fit all those cars in the student parking lot at the local high school.  Is it really an insurmountable physical challenge for the judges to walk the entire field?  Most of the attendees do it, don't they?  How hard is it to walk by a car and not judge it?

Besides, the cars are judged to a standard. The scores aren't (or shouldn't be) influenced by proximity to or direct comparison with other cars.  Points is points, irrespective of where the car is parked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KongaMan said:

Is it really an insurmountable physical challenge for the judges to walk the entire field? 

Really?  Many of the judges are at an advanced age and it is always HOT during judging.

I'm a simple man, so I need some information on your experiences and expertise on this subject:

BCA member?

How long? 

National meets attended?

Entered car(s)?

What class?

Volunteered as a judge?

Volunteered otherwise like laying out the field?

Please don't suggest more work for others unless you have done the work or are going to help!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Really?  Many of the judges are at an advanced age and it is always HOT during judging.

Perhaps a fleet of these would be helpful:

See the source image

We certainly wouldn't want the scores to be tainted by hallucinations brought about by the onset of heat stroke.

37 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Please don't suggest more work for others unless you have done the work or are going to help!

By that same token, I suppose you will personally move all of the cars that need to be relocated.

30 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

We certainly wouldn't want the scores to be tainted by hallucinations brought about by the onset of heat stroke.

KongaMan , while I appreciate your opinions and comments on the subject of judging thus far I do not appreciate and will not tolerate your mockery and disrespect for the elderly judges who give of their time and work hard trying to perform fair and unbiased judging on the field. Please refrain from any further display of such.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, BUICK RACER said:

Ok let's talk about where to get the forum members together in Denver. somebody volunteer to coordinate??? We can talk about $60 Rubber chicken dinners or Buicks, or  Colorado stuff??????????????

I'm in...if the wife says it's ok...?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This judging business is divisive by its very nature.  Mr. Pittman states that many of the judges are at an advanced age (those are his words).  I think any reasonable thinking person would wonder - where are the younger people in the judging pool?  I also think that any reasonable thinking person would get a pretty clear idea real quick that the younger people don't give a hoot and a holler about picking someone else's car to pieces whether it's restored, original, or just a daily driver.  It is also this persons humble opinion that a lot of people want to come to a national meet and HAVE FUN!!

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way

8 hours ago, KongaMan said:

It makes all kinds of sense in the context of non-judged cars (i.e. the majority) being forced to move in deference to judged cars (i.e. the minority).  That seems a clear stratification of the membership.  Based on the numbers from the 2014 meet, there are about 300 cars on display.  You could fit all those cars in the student parking lot at the local high school.  Is it really an insurmountable physical challenge for the judges to walk the entire field?  Most of the attendees do it, don't they?  How hard is it to walk by a car and not judge it?

Besides, the cars are judged to a standard. The scores aren't (or shouldn't be) influenced by proximity to or direct comparison with other cars.  Points is points, irrespective of where the car is parked.

Just to clarify, using the stats provided by Mark, it should be pointed out that only the cars in the Display class were not judged.  You asked about the 400 point cars and that's what Mark reported on.  But they were not the only ones judged.  There were judges on the show field for the Archival and the Driven class, along with the modified class, so the number of cars not judged was 24%, as opposed to the 48% indicated.  This year in Denver, there is no Driven Class.  There will still be Archival and 400 point classes.

And, as pointed out in the quote above, the judging should not be affected by vehicles in proximity, and the number of cars that show up is relatively small, so traversing the entire show field should not be a problem for judges or the public, no matter where the cars are parked.  So where and how the cars are parked is not really the big deal it has become.  Some say they want to park near the cars that are similar years to theirs.  What about folks who have more than one year Buick in their collection?

And while some people think judging is a detriment to the meet, other folks want their cars judged as their way to have fun.  I know I enjoyed having two of my cars judged in the past.  I know others who have enjoyed it too.  I have also enjoyed not having my cars judged.  To each his own.  Relegating judging to regional meets and eliminating it from national meets presents a different set of problems.  # 1 of which is the fact that not every area of the USA is in a Region.  Further, not every region will have a regional meet.  And, in addition, regional meets are usually smaller and implementing the judging system there will result in wide variances in practices and procedure which may serve to divide the membership further. 

In my opinion, eliminating judging from national meets will further erode the membership base.  

One last thing, it is disingenuous to imply that the un-judged meets have been the largest simply because there was no judging.  The un-judged meets have also been celebratory events.  Flint in 78, 03, and 08 were all special water mark years for Buick or GM, and Allentown was a water mark year for the BCA.  As far as I know all the other meets, since the judging system was installed in 1999, have been judged.  Size of the meet is proportional to the number of members in a given area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

People have more than one year in their collection? Say what?

Heck, it goes back to what people want from the meet. I rarely hang out at my cars. I'm too busy volunteering or going on a tour, or looking at the other Buicks or recovering. 

At under 50, I probably qualify as one of the younger folks judging. It does get frustrating when a judging team chooses who does chassis based on who the youngest on the team is, regardless of physical condition or knowledge or expertise. In Brookfield last year, the captain of my team said that I should probably have been the team captain based on experience and a broader knowledge of the class we were judging. 

My 20 year old son is effectively done judging. He was always fine in the judging school, but didn't feel knowledgeable enough on the show field and didn't get the support of the team / captain (judge chassis because you're the youngest). Suzanne and the youngest have become more comfortable helping in judging administration. Judging gets dragged out such that I don't have enough time on show day to see the field. If we did no more than ten minutes per car as outlined in the judging school, we should generally be judging on the field no more than two hours. Someone always likes to drag it out. Judging could also go quicker if everyone having a car judged had to participate in the judging process somehow. Many hands make light work. 

Two of the younger fellas involved with judging have been looking after the driven class. I don't know whether they will transition to 400 point or not. 

It may may very well be that younger folks present don't care as much about the judging or perhaps don't understand it well enough to want to get involved. Really, it's about how close the Buick is to how it would have left the factory is what we are supposed to be measuring as judges. 

The reality is is that people like to receive positive recognition (so few get it from their job) so if they can get it by having a nice car, so be it. 

• Like 1

Here's a question everybody CAN answer . . . "Would you like the show judging to be on the same day as the awards banquet or on a day prior to the banquet?"

The reason you answer to this is important is that (I'm not sure what the current procedures are, as I haven't inquired, but I know how it used to work as I was personally involved with the 400 Point award construction at the two Plano meets) with the format of the BCA Judging system (an undertermined number of each award level awards), until the judging results start coming in, the total number of EACH award needed is pure speculation.  The sooner the judging (when on the same day as the banquet) is completed, the sooner the number of each 400 Point Award is known.  When completed, then the awards will need to be transported to the banquet area and arranged for distribution.  All of these things happen outside of the view of the typical BCA National Meet participant.  Judging results come from the Judging Administration area, which is a high security area many might not be aware of, of necessity.  In other words, there are many actions and functions which must be finalized prior to the awards banquet presentations.  Of course, those involved in these areas desire to attend the banquet, too.

As with any production activity, time if of the essence.  Having show judging completed expeditiously is highly important for things to happen as they need to "down the line".  Just as on an automotive assembly line.  One hiccup can "stop the line", harming production results.  Therefore, do we really need judges traversing the complete judging field looking for vehicles rather than doing the job they are volunteering to do?

Now, if the judged show is on a day prior to the awards banquet, then a more leisurely approach might work, but then the issue might be the endurance of the judges in traversing the show field to look for vehicles.  I think the Olds club used to do their judged show on Saturday, then the awards breakfast/brunch was on Sunday?  

So, please answer . . . . "Judged show and banquet . . . Same day . . . Different day"    No reasons why it can't be one way or the other, just the simple answer, please.

Willis Bell  20811

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

The 2010 meet in Iowa was a judge on Friday, awards on Saturday show. The was an all makes show on Saturday that was a lot of fun. The Friday judging came in handy after the torrential rain on Friday morning ( which doesn't even compare to what happened a week later ).  I thought it worked out rather well.

Thanks for that clarification.  I thought there was one meet that did the Friday judging.  Were there others?  Just asking question, that's all.  I remember reading about the massive water that was on the ground, up there, later.

Willis Bell  20811

8 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

This judging business is divisive by its very nature.  Mr. Pittman states that many of the judges are at an advanced age (those are his words).  I think any reasonable thinking person would wonder - where are the younger people in the judging pool?  I also think that any reasonable thinking person would get a pretty clear idea real quick that the younger people don't give a hoot and a holler about picking someone else's car to pieces whether it's restored, original, or just a daily driver.  It is also this persons humble opinion that a lot of people want to come to a national meet and HAVE FUN!!

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way

Posts such as this have chased us all away.  My sons are 27 and 30 respectively.  One is a BCA member, one flatly refuses.  Both enjoy the performance aspect of Buick's but also like to judge and be judged and their level of knowledge will surprise many.  The BCA  WILL die unless the aging membership is replaced and the replacements have almost zero interest in built before their father was born (1958 to answer the question).  Yes, I have judged and yes I have attended a national meet, the last being at South Bend.  I have not been able to attend since do to work and family commitments. Both of my sons have assisted me in judging and enjoy that aspect of a meet.  Read into this what you want.  I will not comment again in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I think looking a the issue of when the awards ceremony is becomes putting a bandage on without addressing the root cause. That cause being the time taken judging which can easily be addressed in a couple of ways. The first being more judging participants which will create more judging teams thereby reducing the number of cars a team needs to judge thereby reducing the time taken. The second option is to actually follow the instructions given at the judging school of spending no more than ten minutes at each judged Buick. 

As for looking everywhere for a Buick not parked in class, that isn't the responsibility of the individual judging teams. It is the owner's responsibility to park in the correct class. When one isn't in the class, the judging hierarchy is engaged and others look for the vehicle while the judging team goes to work. I'm not suggesting it hasn't happened and I've personally gone out again after we had judged those parked in class to judge a "missing" car. That often comes from new members who don't know all that is going on and perhaps didn't get proper parking direction. 

The only time I've gone through the field was judging Archival class in Bellevue in 2007 when the meet was parked by year. I felt it worked incredibly well and it allowed us as judges to actually see more while going through the judging process. The vast majority of 400 point judging classes are year / era based anyway. The Reatta is different but there's only a four year span for them. The Riviera is the big exception that comes to mind.

I think parking by year / era makes sense in many ways, not the least of which is for the viewing public and prospective BCA members.

Perhaps change is is in order. Just to throw a concept out there, charge more for having a car judged to cover mailing the award, which eliminates the time constraints (but would require someone stepping up to complete the task). 

13 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

In my opinion, eliminating judging from national meets will further erode the membership base. 

John,

I agree.  I have never suggested elimination of judging.  I have only requested that members be allowed to park all-together to socialize and compare their cars with others of the same age.  I too like seeing the judged cars, and I appreciate the time and efforts of both the show car owners and judging teams.  I just don't agree with putting the chief judge in charge of parking for the entire meet when judging typically is done only on the last day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

John,

I agree.  I have never suggested elimination of judging.  I have only requested that members be allowed to park all-together to socialize and compare their cars with others of the same age.  I too like seeing the judged cars, and I appreciate the time and efforts of both the show car owners and judging teams.  I just don't agree with putting the chief judge in charge of parking for the entire meet when judging typically is done only on the last day.

There are a couple of reasons, that the Chief Judge for a BCA National Meet gets stuck with the job of dealing with parking for  the entire meet. One is that most attendees want to park in "their"spot and not have to be moving their car. We do have to move the cars this year at Denver for judging. We are doing this only because we have no alternative .Setting up the showfield on judging day brings a level of stress that no one wants. That is why the cars usually get parked in the same location. There are not a lot of people who want to be responsible for  parking cars, especially redoing it all on judging day. It is a moot point any way , as the parking situation has been resolved, despite some of the rambling that keeps going on here indicating the contrary. So I am not sure what the issue is, and how we can still be talking about parking at this point, but just to clarify, the assistant head judge (almost always a host Chapter member) actually  handles the parking based on the list provided by the registrar of the actual registrations. The Chief judge only approves that this configuration will work and not impede the judging process.

Edited by Jack Welch (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Jack Welch said:

So I am not sure what the issue is,

Jack,

Evidently you had my last post removed, so I will re-post another way.  I find it hard to believe that anybody who has read and posted multiple times (as you have on this thread) could possibly be "unsure of what the issue is" as you stated above.    

Mark: I have not had any posts removed. I say again. An agreement was mage that all prewar cars would be parked together . so how can this still be an issue? The only exception would be the modified cars. They would be parked in their own Division. Again, I do not see an issue!!!

Mark it was I and I alone who temporarily hid your short and somewhat terse reply to Jacks post. It was also I who temporarily hid the entire thread so I could put down my fencing tools, come in the house and sort some of this out so it can continue. Believe it or not Moderators do have another life.  I am trying my best to maintain this thread in a friendly and non biased way as I think some good things have been brought out, on both sides.  I have already asked that comments be kept on subject but am seeing it is becoming a back and forth more about judging and bordering on politics rather than what I am sure you intended in your initial post... Pre-War Parking. I have had pm's suggesting I should have closed it long ago but still feel there is value in it. Hence I am reopening it totally intact. However, I don't see much more that can be said about the subject and if it gets off course once more it will be closed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Thanks you Lamar for you wise and careful input. I was one of the first that remarked on this thread and I am looking forward to the National and how the parking works out for all. It does seem this thread is going on to long as the desired outcome has been achieved. I say let see how it goes and then report AFTER the nationals what we thought about it. So I for one would like to see this thread die - or die down until after the show.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Let me see if I get this long discussion right.

If you own a car that was built 1941 and BEFORE you are invited to park your car with the Pre-War Division group who will be parked in chronological order. 

Anyone that fits that criteria can park in that area.  

Rumor is that there are about 50 spaces available for this group.  

If you fit the pre 1942 group you are not required to park anywhere else even if you want your car judged.  This includes modified, driven, HVOP,or any other category. Park with the prewar group if you want to park with the same age car and owners as yours. 

This chronological order parking is about getting to know other owners with the same vehicle you have and develop new friendships, contacts, and network to keep our similar age cars on the road being driven.  You might find someone that has had the same issue as you have with your car and they can be a great help.

If you park with the pre war group your car can still be judged. 

What's the issue??  From my perspective it is very simple.

On 4/24/2018 at 7:00 PM, Terry Wiegand said:

I also think that any reasonable thinking person would get a pretty clear idea real quick that the younger people don't give a hoot and a holler about picking someone else's car to pieces whether it's restored, original, or just a daily driver.

On 4/24/2018 at 8:36 PM, Thriller said:

It may may very well be that younger folks present don't care as much about the judging or perhaps don't understand it well enough to want to get involved. Really, it's about how close the Buick is to how it would have left the factory is what we are supposed to be measuring as judges.

Most young folks are in the hobby due to their parents/grandparents/whatever being in the hobby. As an active young person, I can say without a doubt that this hobby is dying because young people of my generation, and more to come, cannot even get into this hobby, especially when rust bucket project cars go for $3000 versus a 1990's hatchback starting at $500. I don't like posting in these threads because I am mostly naive and very inexperienced when it comes to a national car club and its politics, but something about "young people not getting involved" bothers me like it's some giant mystery. We simply cannot get into any form of hobby without outside help, which is rare at best. I mean, I would have never even tried if it wasn't for my grandfather retaining his Buick and giving it to me to start. We all know the price of junkyards, rebuild shops, restoration shops, etc. This hobby simply isn't feasible for the current generation anymore, and most likely won't ever be.

Now judging might be a separate animal, but the involvement of young people across the board will yield diminishing returns going forward simply because there is no desire for older automobiles if it's not affordable or attainable for the majority of the population.

Sorry, I don't mean to be the target of accusations, but from going to all the car meets I've been to, the demographic isn't young and the classic car meets are much different from car meets put on by my age group. If you want to be apart of a club that has young people interested, then you should be looking at the Nissan/Datsun, Honda, Toyota and Subaru groups.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

Let me see if I get this long discussion right.

If you own a car that was built 1941 and BEFORE you are invited to park your car with the Pre-War Division group who will be parked in chronological order. 

Anyone that fits that criteria can park in that area.  

Rumor is that there are about 50 spaces available for this group.  

If you fit the pre 1942 group you are not required to park anywhere else even if you want your car judged.  This includes modified, driven, HVOP,or any other category. Park with the prewar group if you want to park with the same age car and owners as yours. 

This chronological order parking is about getting to know other owners with the same vehicle you have and develop new friendships, contacts, and network to keep our similar age cars on the road being driven.  You might find someone that has had the same issue as you have with your car and they can be a great help.

If you park with the pre war group your car can still be judged. 

What's the issue??  From my perspective it is very simple.

Larry, you are 99 percent correct here. The only variation from what you have said, is that when the cars get staged for judging, any  modified owner wishing to have his car judged would have it parked in the Modified Class and not in classes ABC, etc. The reason for that is that modified are not judged by year , but by different classifications primarily decided by the degree of modification. In this situation, you can have a 1910 parked next to a Regatta, etc. The modified guys do their own judging and we want to make it is easy as possible for that to be accomplished. , so I agree with you, I don't see an issue. One other quick thing is that no particular number of spaces have been reserved for this . The number of spaces need will; be decided when , registration closes and we know how many cars we have in that era.

1 hour ago, Jack Welch said:

Larry, you are 99 percent correct here. The only variation from what you have said, is that when the cars get staged for judging, any  modified owner wishing to have his car judged would have it parked in the Modified Class and not in classes ABC, etc. The reason for that is that modified are not judged by year , but by different classifications primarily decided by the degree of modification. In this situation, you can have a 1910 parked next to a Regatta, etc. The modified guys do their own judging and we want to make it is easy as possible for that to be accomplished. , so I agree with you, I don't see an issue. One other quick thing is that no particular number of spaces have been reserved for this . The number of spaces need will; be decided when , registration closes and we know how many cars we have in that era.

Having judged modified (which is a VERY different animal than 400 pt) and being a devoted pre-war guy I would advise my fellow pre-war brethren to agree that:

1. this is agreeable

2. the amount of pre-war modifieds are few in number

3. Fair in that if the owner of a pre-war modified cares that much about judging of their car they can move for a few hours and come back or if they don't care they can simply stay and thus not participate in modified judging ( cause they don't care to)

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, 38Buick 80C said:

Oh the comments I could make... but I'll keep my mouth shut and respect my elders...?

Wise for a young whippersnapper. 

That said, what proportion do you see in the under-50 crowd?  We aren't anywhere near the majority. 

• Like 1

This is a hobby for old guys.  That's an actuarially endangered demographic, with few replacements on the horizon.  Do your heirs and assigns a favor, and either start thinning the herd or make sure they know exactly what you've got.  Even at that, your pride and joy is likely to become "Dad's old car" to be disposed of for pennies on the dollar because they have no need or want of it.

Edited by MrEarl
Remove race defining term (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Contrary to what KongaMan has said, I find few cars offered for "pennies on n the dollar", I find many are trying to get more than market value for a variety of reasons (rather because granddad fold the what is s worth to him or watching too many TV auctions.  May be just the area where I  reside.  Otherwise, I would have a bunch more cars, I fear.

John

• Like 3