65 riv wheel options

Garysriv

So, I just bought my 65 Riv and am already lookin for rallye wheels.  I see a lot of repops with 5 x 4.75 pattern, but need 5 x 5, right?  Then I found a nice oe used set for a '66, but was told they won't fit a 65?  Why not?  What are my options?

The 65 and later wheels will not fit a 63 or a 64 without first removing the register ring in the inside of the hub of the wheel.  Just make sure that you get a matched set.There's a code number stamped on the inside of the wheel.  Use that code for matching. You should be looking at an 802 code if the wheels are off of a 66.

8 hours ago, RivNut said:

The 65 and later wheels will not fit a 63 or a 64 without first removing the register ring in the inside of the hub of the wheel.  Just make sure that you get a matched set.There's a code number stamped on the inside of the wheel.  Use that code for matching. You should be looking at an 802 code if the wheels are off of a 66.

My mistake, the ones I'm looking at are 68/69/70.  Would those work with any minor mods?

20 minutes ago, Garysriv said:

My mistake, the ones I'm looking at are 68/69/70.  Would those work with any minor mods?

They'll work fine. There's a very slight difference in the profile but it's only noticeable if you know what to look for. The wheels you're describing were designed to fit over the disk brake caliper.

I would look for code 853. You'd then just have to get a set of 65 caps and make sure they have the correct retainers in them.  New caps and retainers are available from Mitch Romanowski.

http://buickcenters.com/riviera.html

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Garysriv said:

If you want the 411 on the chrome wheels send me a private message and we can talk over the phone, or, do a search on this forum for previous posts. The chrome wheels have been discusssed thoroughly

Tom Mooney

9 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

If you want the 411 on the chrome wheels send me a private message and we can talk over the phone, or, do a search on this forum for previous posts. The chrome wheels have been discusssed thoroughly

Tom Mooney

I will definitely take you up on that sometime this week!

12 hours ago, RivNut said:

They'll work fine. There's a very slight difference in the profile but it's only noticeable if you know what to look for. The wheels you're describing were designed to fit over the disk brake caliper.

I would look for code 853. You'd then just have to get a set of 65 caps and make sure they have the correct retainers in them.  New caps and retainers are available from Mitch Romanowski.

Thanks rivnut, much appreciated!

On 3/18/2018 at 7:39 AM, RivNut said:

Thanks rivnut, much appreciated!

Screenshot_2018-03-23-21-32-29-1.png

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

Quickest way to tell besides the code number is to lay the wheel on its face.  If the wheel rests in the cone hub, it's a 71 or later.  If it rests on the rim, it's a 70 or earlier.

There's also a significant difference in backspacing.

On their way to me.  There is a picture of them face down n they look like they are on the rim.  Back spacing is 4"....

1 hour ago, Garysriv said:

On their way to me.  There is a picture of them face down n they look like they are on the rim.  Back spacing is 4"....

If they are from a 71 and up I would not use them. Hope you made sure what style they were. Not uncommon for sellers not knowing what they have. I’ve known many people over the years who bought the wrong wheels

1 hour ago, JZRIV said:

If they are from a 71 and up I would not use them. Hope you made sure what style they were. Not uncommon for sellers not knowing what they have. I’ve known many people over the years who bought the wrong wheels

Would not use them because they won't fit?  I got such a good deal on them even if I can't use them I can resell.

In my post #11, I mentioned the difference in Back spacing.  The later wheels have a deeper backspace g which causes them to set back farther on the drum.  As Jason says, this causes the wheel to contact the brake drum fins. 

Gary, where do you live? It would help us to know so we could offer parts if we have them.

Ed

1 hour ago, RivNut said:

In my post #11, I mentioned the difference in Back spacing.  The later wheels have a deeper backspace g which causes them to set back farther on the drum.  As Jason says, this causes the wheel to contact the brake drum fins. 

Gary, where do you live? It would help us to know so we could offer parts if we have them.

Ed

I live in southwest ohio.  So. Well see when they get here I'll get them on the car n check it out.

On 3/24/2018 at 6:42 PM, 1965rivgs said:

I tried......:(

Tom Mooney

Hahaha, yes, you did.  It was an impulse buy, couldn't resist 4 really nice rallye wheels for $300.  If they touch through drums right as they mount, a 1/4 spacer should do the trick.

19 minutes ago, Garysriv said:

If they touch through drums right as they mount, a 1/4 spacer should do the trick.

Yes, that will allow them to fit.  That's the way my '67 came when I bought it.  Someone had installed a set of later '70s/'80s wheels with 1/4" spacers.  I wasn't thrilled with the fact that the lug nuts lost that 1/4" of thread engagement, so I was able to locate a set of original '67 drum brake road wheels to replace them.  I still have the other wheels & spacers if anyone is interested...  ;)

1 hour ago, Garysriv said:

Hahaha, yes, you did.  It was an impulse buy, couldn't resist 4 really nice rallye wheels for $300.  If they touch through drums right as they mount, a 1/4 spacer should do the trick.

Yes, but they wont look as nice as the correct, deep wheel. You have a very nice and unique car and it desrves the correct wheels. You can maintain the correct and original look by finding `64 thru `67 1/2 wheels or `67 1/2 thru `70 wheels (with a slight difference in detail) by using center hole adapters for the original style center caps, which are VERY reasonably priced and an excellent repro. The original center caps have a black background which would coordinate well with the black top on your car and bring the overall look of the car together. Just my opinion...I tried again! Generally speaking...I NEVER give up, LOL,

Tom

• Like 1

Gary,

As all of us who own 1st and 2nd generations have learned,  the correct parts are out there.  The hardest thing to learn is patience. Do not get in a hurry and put some parts on your car that compromise the safety, looks or integrity.  Look again at Tom Mooney's suggestions.  There's no one who knows more about parts for these cars and how they affect the car than Tom.  

Ed

PS - I bought a set of rally wheels last fall for $60.  All four matched but I had to repaint the web's. The right ones are out there for you. Be patient.

13 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Gary,

As all of us who own 1st and 2nd generations have learned,  the correct parts are out there.  The hardest thing to learn is patience. Do not get in a hurry and put some parts on your car that compromise the safety, looks or integrity.  Look again at Tom Mooney's suggestions.  There's no one who knows more about parts for these cars and how they affect the car than Tom.  

Ed

PS - I bought a set of rally wheels last fall for $60.  All four matched but I had to repaint the web's. The right ones are out there for you. Be patient.

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your vote of confidence. I do know the chrome wheels and the `65 cars VERY well but everyone has a unique experience, whether buying/selling/ restoring, etc..I am ALWAYS learning from others in both my trade and hobbies! For instance, when I have a question about `63 to `65 interchange, I consult Gene Guarnere because he sells to many first gen owners and knows the slight differences between each of the years....and Gene is always fun to talk with! Thanks again for your vote of confidence, much appreciated,

Tom

Gary, everybody wants to put the chrome wheels on these cars, but you ought to consider getting a set of the wire wheel covers.

They are stunningly beautiful on these cars, and much less common to see. You've already got the wheels for those, all you need is the covers.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

Gary, everybody wants to put the chrome wheels on these cars, but you ought to consider getting a set of the wire wheel covers.

They are stunningly beautiful on these cars, and much less common to see. You've already got the wheels for those, all you need is the covers.

Winston has a good point.  Even though the  rally wheels seem to be what everyone seeks, they've saturated the hobby.  The wire   wheel covers give you a lot of bling. Plus when you see them on a rolling car, there's nothing that compares to the light reflecting off the spokes and the rotating knock off.  They look especially good with dark colors and period width white side wall tires.

When I say that the rally wheel has saturated the market, you can see for yourself by attending an ROA meet and see the plethora of 63 and 64 Rivieras shod with these wheels even though they were not available in those years.   My 65 Gran Sport has a set of these wheels on it and I'd really like to find a set of the unique Gran Sport wheel covers just so I'd have something more unique.

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Winston has a good point.  Even though the  rally wheels seem to be what everyone seeks, they've saturated the hobby.  The wire   wheel covers give you a lot of bling. Plus when you see them on a rolling car, there's nothing that compares to the light reflecting off the spokes and the rotating knock off.  They look especially good with dark colors and period width white side wall tires.

When I say that the rally wheel has saturated the market, you can see for yourself by attending an ROA meet and see the plethora of 63 and 64 Rivieras shod with these wheels even though they were not available in those years.   My 65 Gran Sport has a set of these wheels on it and I'd really like to find a set of the unique Gran Sport wheel covers just so I'd have something more unique.

Great forum guys n I appreciate all the great ideas.  I guess the first thing I should do is GET IT HOME.  Should be tomorrow nite.  

5 hours ago, RivNut said:

Ed,

I have a set of the Gran Sport only wheel covers if you would like to work out a trade,

Tom

• Like 1

Afternoon fellas,

I have a set of standard Supremes on my 65. Been looking into getting some "reverse" style wheels. Is there anything i need to do to the Rivi to be able to put on some reverse style wheels? Any feedback would be aprreciated. Thanks.