Differential drip

Mars

Not uncommon for leaks at the pinion seal.

Take the drive line off, then the yoke, drill a small hole in the seal and put a screw in the hole pry out like you are pulling a nail.

Be sure to tighten the yoke up pretty tight when putting back together.

Top off the lube.

All the differential carrier and cover bolts have one end in the air and one in the oil. The oil works its way up the threads. it is hard to stop it. There are thread seal products available. The threads must be spotlessly clean before you put it on.

The rear cover may be warped by over tightening. It is pressed steel with a cork gasket. If the gasket is squashed at the bolts, the cover warps. Remove, flatten cover flange, refit with new gasket and sealer.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

All the differential carrier and cover bolts have one end in the air and one in the oil. The oil works its way up the threads. it is hard to stop it. There are thread seal products available. The threads must be spotlessly clean before you put it on.

The rear cover may be warped by over tightening. It is pressed steel with a cork gasket. If the gasket is squashed at the bolts, the cover warps. Remove, flatten cover flange, refit with new gasket and sealer.

YES! A lot of people feel the need to over tighten these bolts. I did it myself to my 1931 DH6 rear end bolts and stripped one when I was 15 years old and didn't know any better. As Spinneyhill said, there may be little ridges around the holes in the cover if someone over tightened it. I usually hammer them back to flat on a flat, steel surface.

Multi. I don't think there are any copper containing metals in there, so an oil of your choice. Any synthetic are better than all mineral oils at minimising wear. The multigrade (e.g. 85W-140) means it will take less power to drive the diff. when it is cold - it will behave like a SAE 85 grade oil under shear.

The check for oils with EP additives, some of which are known to attack copper, is the Copper Strip Corrosion Test, ASTM D130. A 1a result is best, 1b is nearly as good. The test result is often given on the SDS. If you can't find it, look for another oil. Gary W gave a good write-up about it in his Buick restoration topic in the Buick Pre-war forum.

When I changed the crown wheel and pinion in my 1930 DC Dodge Brothers (same as CF), I went to a lot of trouble to keep the oil in. It lasted about 5 years. I used new gaskets, straightened the cover to sit fully flat, used thread seal on all the bolts...  No, it now drips at the back cover. I periodically roll under and wipe it clean. A collapsed cardboard box on the floor absorbs the oil - just replace it from time to time.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

A friend of mine painted his cover, bolt heads, gasket edges and housing.  He said it never dripped anymore. Just had to touch up the paint any time he took the cover off or the plug out. 

The pinion seal leak I stopped was done on a 1973 Cadillac. I did use a multi. The car was a daily driver which sometimes took long distance trips at freeway speeds. For an old car which spends most of it's life in the garage , the case for a straight heavier weight oil becomes more convincing. I use straight 250 in my 1924 & 1927 Cadillacs , but that also corresponds with factory viscosity specs. Glad you didn't have a pinion seal leak ! But again , for a seldom driven relic , depending on the level of such leak , going up in viscosity should be considered. There are some fortunate guys who look for an excuse to tear into and improve anything on their cars. Sadly , although obsessive about some old car issues , I am not always spoiling for a mechanical confrontation. Such wrenching has become an almost impossible task for my beat up old body. Obviously , I just don't enjoy working on them any more. I'll take the easy way out , and hope it gives me more "saddle time". Luckily I can still drive them !   ?   -  Carl