Moyer Fuel Tank Renu...

philipj

Hello there again... Wonder if any of you guys have any feedback regarding Moyer Fuel Tank Renu services out of PA, or perhaps know a good place in Florida?  With all the running  problems I am having, and after changing an inline fuel filter and cleaning the sediment bowl in the pump, I still have some residue/dirt/rust on a tank that looks virtually new, except for the fact that it was dropped and is dented on a corner where there seems to be a small amount of fuel sweating by the seam which is separated...

With about only 6 gallons in the tank, I found a stain on the garage floor the other day, so I should not take any chances...

After cleaning the bowl and running the car for about 5 minutes, this much sediment collected,  before discovering a fuel pump leak!

IMG_4040.JPG

Edited by philipj (see edit history)

Moyer performed a rebuild of my fuel tank in 2012 for my 1929 Buick. The tank had been unused for decades and the floor of the tank was like swiss cheese. They cut out the affected areas and carefully welded in a new section. The tank fit great and the renu took care of any rust. I am very happy and at the time a lifetime warranty was given. Any time trying to revive a car to driver status the fuel tank is one of the first things I take care of. I don't battle rust if I can avoid it and its not worth risking fuel pump or carburetor damage , not to mention the nuisance of a underpowered car. Id do it in a minute if planning on using the car.

If your fuel pump hasn't been rebuilt in the past five years I would rebuild it while the fuel tank is out. It will definitely require a rebuild if hasn't been rebuilt since the use of ethanol fuel has started. Need to also consider the replacement of rubber fuel hoses as well. I use Terrill Machine in Deleon Tx. for pump rebuilds. Great guys there.

Got my gas tank out today... Raise the rear bumper 27" off the ground and it comes right out.  A few bubbles up top concealing rust and pin holes, as well as previous damage and plenty of rust inside. Wish I could buy a new tank since the repair by Moyer's with shipping will be around $535.00! Also considering having one made of aluminum at this point...

IMG_4172.JPG

IMG_4173.JPG

IMG_4175.JPG

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4178.JPG

IMG_4148.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

Edited by philipj (see edit history)