Do you keep a fire extinguisher in your Reatta?

Ronnie

I had an extra fire extinguisher in the garage so I decided to see if I could fit it in the Reatta without it being in the way or having to modify anything. I found that a small Kidde extinguisher will fit really well wedged behind the center console on an '88 model.  I think it will stay there without having to fasten it down. Only time will tell.

Thought someone might want to know.

SAM_3991.JPG

I generally keep one in the trunk. I really need to invest in a proper automotive grade extinguisher for each of my cars, but that is an expensive proposition when you are outfitting a fleet, as I have. In the meantime, a consumer grade ABC type is better than nothing. 

56 minutes ago, KDirk said:

I generally keep one in the trunk.

I thought about that too but I was afraid an engine fire might knock out the power going to the trunk switch and latch. The quicker you can grab the extinguisher the better your chance of putting out a fire will be. Once it gets very far along it's better to get away from it and call 911 and check with your insurance agent.

Since I joined the BCA back in 1996,  and they require a fire extinguisher with a car you show,  I have had one in each of my vehicles ever since and luckily have never had to use them.

I did replace one at some point because the gage indicated the charge was low.

I also have them in several places in my shop.....but only one in the house.

Ronnie, I understand your thinking,  but I don't want it sitting in the cabin as it is apt to become a projectile in a wreck or hard stop. I also worry about it losing the pin and discharging causing a dust plume in the passenger compartment.  I had considered the possibility of the trunk being inaccessible if power is lost. So far I've taken that risk over the alternative .

I keep one in the trunk of each of my Eldorado, Riviera, and Reatta because I drive them to car shows/cruise-ins where they might be required in order to participate.  Probably not the best place to store them.

I also keep one in the kitchen under the sink near the stove; two in the cellar, one near the furnace and one near the sump pump.

I did check mine for possible recall but luckily no match.

Have never had to use one as of yet.

Great idea.  I will install one with a bracket behind the console as pictured.

The Urgent Care Center I worked in would have yearly classes on their use.  They set up a burn pan in the parking lot and we would be required to put the fire out with the extinguisher.  The burn pan had water in it with diesel poured on top of the water.  We always had a fire fighter as an instructor.

Watch this video:

I got this B (liquids) and C (electrical) extinguisher from Ace Hardware.  It was $19.95 and I had a $7 off coupon:D:D

It came with a mount,  I placed it behind the console as Ronnie suggested.  The plastic strap comes out in an awkward position.  The bottle fits (snaps)  into the plastic holder snugly.

I feel much more secure driving around with it in the car.

I just re read this.  Let me explain my mount better.  The plastic ring around the middle of the bottle is not latched as it is designed to.  I think I need to flip it so the latch is facing the rear of the car.  The neck of the extinguisher does a very good job of holding the bottle in place though.  It is quite secure this way.