Vintageben

Late 20's handle/lever identification

Hi all I'm still sorting through all these parts I picked up and I have 2 handles/levers that I'm wondering if they are internal door handles for Roadster and if they belong to a Chrysler 66 Roadster or the 1928 Chrysler 72 Roadster I think they may belong to the 66 as I don't think the earlier models had internal handles or are they all together something different. Thanks for any help 

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

Hey I did read some where once that there were a few differences between the Aussie bodies and the American could the handles be one of those differences I wish I could find that article again I know I have it here somewhere 🤔

From memory most cars imported were shipped as a rolling chassis with only the cowl fitted the bodies were built by local manufacturers, anyway for what's it worth here is my handle and yes I know I need to give the car a wash.

IMG_1120.JPG

Edited by Sasha39 (see edit history)

Thanks for the photo they certainly look the same. Your car is not that dirty 3 weeks of rain here has certainly made cleaning cars pointless especially if you live on dirt roads such as I do

Finally found an illustration. US door handles were not as ergometrically placed as the Aussie ones, but directly onto the lock and requiring you to curl the arm backwards to open. Or use the outside handle which is better accessible. Car is a Series 65 and the seats are temporary and now being replaced by a proper bench.

CR 1603 17 setetesting.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning

Would you still happen to have the handles, for sale? If so I would like to purchase them.

Thanks

Mark

Hi. The handles you show with the long link are much the same as the ones Chevrolet used on their open cars of 1929/30 vintage. It is possible that the Australian body builders used or copied general motors handles??

Hi Mark 

I still have the handles but sorry they are not for sale they were part of a cache of parts I recently hauled home at this stage I'm considering which project in amongst them that I want to to tackle so I'm a little reluctant to sell any they are also located in Australia I'm not sure if that's your location. 

Viv w the handles are more than likely similar on both Chrysler and Chev in Australia as Holden built majority of the bodies for both companies 

The interior door handles that you show are ones used by the Holden Body  Building Co I have the same ones on my Holden bodied 1928 DB Senior Tourer 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 9:17 AM, Narve N said:

and requiring you to curl the arm backwards to open.

...or do the "Dutch reach" with the other hand, which forces one to look over one's shoulder, making it easy to see any traffic (including cyclists) coming and preventing nasty surprises for anyone.