supercharged Cord

11 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Priced right.  Almost feels like a scam. 

1937 supercharged Cord 812 phaeton - $110000

image.png.2f61327d907ff87793d27964d4a276f5.png

If someone is looking for one,  I wouldn't wait to long on this one if it isn't a scam.   That's a pretty good buy especially for an SC car.   You might see it in the near future art one of your favorite dealers with an appropriate price uptick. 

Just be sure of what you're buying on a supercharged car.  Fellow not far from me bought an estate car, a supercharged phaeton, in the 135K range, which seemed like a good deal.  Found out the supercharger on it was just a shell, and it didn't have all the other parts needed for the SC, such as the special cam.  To get all the parts and correct the car was a $25K endeavor.

A nice phaeton at just over $100K is a deal, though....

I figured that even if the Supercharger was gutted or even not a supercharged car,  it was still very reasonably priced.  That's not even a bad price for a Non SC car without pipes,  so all the extras just add a little more to the value,  even if you pulled them off and sold them to put it back to non SC state if it's not suppose to be. 

I just got off the phone with a guy that wants to sell me all the parts left over from his Dad's Cord phaeton build.  The ado include and engine and transmissions as well as most the other parts I need to convert mine back.  The only problem is both the engine and tranny are full disassembled and the tranny is for sure missing a few parts.  There is a lot of extra stuff in multiples,  but they want to sell the whole shebang in one lot for 20G.  He says the block is crack free.  Probably not a bad deal if you really want t pick up the parts, know your stuff,  and are part of the Cord Click so you have an out for the parts.  Ebay is a poor place to sell Cord parts I have found out.  Though you can score some on there with enough diligence.  

Besides being pretty well tapped out from my over 100G garage project,  I just see piles of valuable parts laying around that really don't sell that well.  He has been in contact with the Cord guys from the Factory and they gave him strong prices for what the parts are worth. Of course those are the same parts I see at Hershey year after year.   Seems a lot of them have been restored though.  How many people are going to keep buying restorable parts for Cords,  especially for strong money?  

I figure I will probably pass.  I still have lots of parts and many were gifted piled in the corner. 

20 would probably be much better spent on a running assembled engine and tranny.  or better yet mechanically complete parts car so I have a hands on tutorial of what goes where and holds it there.  

Should probably just sell it and buy an Auburn. 

Not my place to say auburnseeker, you would be better off getting yours running good, and cashing out of it. Kick in some extra cash. And buy a running driving Auburn/Cord. Just from a cost stand point. You know that. If you are in love with the one you have, go for it. 

• Like 3

Cadet grey is the factory color.  That version looks good also, most attempts are more silver than grey.  The correct ones have a slight irredescance to them.   This is the first open car I've seen with the color.  It really looks good on a sedan with black walls.  

Few cars need more inspection than a Cord.  Probably the best riding/handling car of the era with that unibody.  Also one of the most rusty/cobbled car of the era.  I've ran into some real messes with these cars.  

1 hour ago, Janousek said:

Few cars need more inspection than a Cord

Well, that's true.  What muddies the water is that these cars were being rebuilt almost immediately.  A LOT of Cords had engine transplants in the late 40's and 50's, at the "factory". 

The 810/812 Cords are such a fascinating piece of automobile history.  They were desired and collectable from the day they were built, and, rough numbers, of the 2500 total built, more than 1500 exist today.  No other limited production car comes close to that survival rate.

Factory parts were available, engines were available, transmissions were available.  These day, cars are certified by the ACD Club as being original, and no one blinks an eye at a replacement engine or transmission.

I've driven a properly restored '37 phaeton, and can tell you without reservation that it's a fantastic car, from a driving and handling perspective.  The fact that people literally pull off the road and stop to see you drive by is just a plus.  My original 812 phaeton is a little less easy to drive, but all the fun is still included...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Something has to be wrong we are missing,  but it doesn't seem obvious at the moment. 

I agree.  A car not as good as these pictures show sold a little while back, for 30% more than asking price of this one, and the supercharger was missing all internals and associated supercharger parts.

This is a lot of money, of course, but unless the thing is all bondo, that's a deal....

Pictures can lie.  If the car looks 75% as good in person as it does in the photos then it should be gone.   But the shot of the windshield and the lacing on the top makes me wonder.  Also,  there is something about those pleats that doesn't feel right.   Probably my imagination.

I owned this '37 812 Custom ( meaning LWB) Beverly sedan. Originally Cadet Gray, the current color is more towards silver than the original hue. It belonged to the late Senator Howard Baker of TN at the time of his death. I wish I had kept it. They're great cars.

1937_Cord_812_Beverly.jpg

1937 Cord 812 2.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Well ? HAS anybody actually called ? I would be happy to call for you , but I'm afraid I am not up on my Cords. I do call on old Cadillacs I am familiar with. I doubt the owner bites , at least not through the phone. Please call and report back.          Curious , but not as much so as some ,     - Carl