47 New Yorker

New member here from Oklahoma with a new to me, 47 New Yorker Club Coupe.

I've always been a mid 60's Cadillac guy, I own a 64 Fleetwood and Coupe and a 66 Coupe, but I've recently been lusting for a 40's era fat fender project car and had been looking locally for a few months. This 47 Chrysler, showing 90,000 miles popped on the local craigslist, sitting in a field and I fell head over heels for her big bottom, long snout, straight 8 flathead and had her hauled home for a fair price. Body is pretty straight with no major rot and frame is solid with some small holes in the floors, all trim and parts look intact, interior is gutted. Car was last tagged in 2008 and was said to be running in 2010. Generator was missing, so I fitted a 6 volt positive ground alternator and she fired right up after soaking cylinders with some MMO for a week or so. I did a compression check and got readings of 100, 95, 112, 105, 115, 107, 97, 115. Engine runs cool, with temps even across engine block (checked with IF thermometer) and oil pressure of 20 psi at idle, so I'm pretty happy with the engines condition as is. The 323 hums like a sewing machine!

My plans are to keep it stock, get her mechanically sound to be a driver (fuel, brakes, suspension and a re-wire) clean up the surface rust and get it in primer.

I can't wait to get her on the road!

New Yorker.jpg

20180215_160034.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice. The flat head Chrysler engines have a very good reputation. A valve grind would probably get the compression up on the lower cylinders. It will purr and drive like a dream when you are done I'll bet.

The eight cylinder cars are on a longer wheelbase than the sixes.

You will find that the front fenders and hood are six inches longer on your car than the six cylinder counterparts.

Hence longer rocker trim, however yours look better than most.

I may have the hood trim that you are missing in the very front, I would have to do some digging to see.

The chromed pot metal parts are impossible to find that are not pitted. Hood Eagle, tail light housings etc. I ended up painting mine.

Another interesting feature, the red trunk light is the brake light, the rear lights on either side are tail lights.

031.jpg

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, JACK M said:

The eight cylinder cars are on a longer wheelbase than the sixes.

You will find that the front fenders and hood are six inches longer on your car than the six cylinder counterparts.

Hence longer rocker trim, however yours look better than most.

I may have the hood trim that you are missing in the very front, I would have to do some digging to see.

The chromed pot metal parts are impossible to find that are not pitted. Hood Eagle, tail light housings etc. I ended up painting mine.

Another interesting feature, the red trunk light is the brake light, the rear lights on either side are tail lights.

Thanks for the offer on the hood trim, but I already grabbed a decent driver quality piece off ebay.

Yes, the pot metal trim is pretty pitted on mine, hence this will be a driver not a restoration. I am looking for the long whisker on the right side, mine has the last 6 inches broken off.

I love the look of your business coupe, I'd like to lower mine a bit up front, maybe cut a coil or so. Does your car have stock suspension?

3 hours ago, keithb7 said:

Very nice. The flat head Chrysler engines have a very good reputation. A valve grind would probably get the compression up on the lower cylinders. It will purr and drive like a dream when you are done I'll bet.

Thanks, I did a re-check with the lower reading cylinders with some oil and they jumped up about 15 PSI, so I guess I have some blow by in those cylinders, will have to be addressed someday, but for now I think it will work until I get her cruising down the road.

Edited by Flim Flam Man (see edit history)