Requirement for a item price in the Buy/Sell forum

Ronnie

Years before I was moderator of the Reatta forum there was a requirement in the Buy/Sell forum rules to include a price in posts for items for sale.  I don't know why that requirement was put there but there must have been a reason.  I've noticed some people posting in the Buy/Sell are reluctant to include a price.

Things have changed over the years and I would like to know if we should continue to require a price to be included in "for sale" posts in the Reatta Buy/Sell forum?  OR, just recommend a price be included in the post.   If the requirement for a price needs to be in the rules I will try to enforce it but I feel like I'm being a little heavy handed when I do.

It doesn't matter to me either way but your input would be appreciated so I will know if any changes need to be made to the rules.

I would like to see prices..........otherwise it might be called an auction.

I often buy things that I don't need now, if the price is good or a real bargain in my mind.   Maybe but it as a spare.

If there is no price on something that I don't need at the moment, I am not going to contact the seller to get the asking price.

So I see unpriced items at a disadvantage to the seller.

Another way of looking at unpriced items ..... is the seller fishing or embarrassed to post his asking price?

Maybe the solution is to say it is "strongly suggested" the price be with the ad.    Also sometime the seller just simply forgets.

• Thanks 1

The Corvette and Oldsmobile forums I am a member of require a stated price and I personally think that is a great idea. Like Barney said, sometimes you are just looking for spare parts and really do not want to contact the seller for such basic information. I think people that do not want to list the price are looking to get more than fair market value for the part or car, that should be discouraged on a friendly forum. My 2 cents :)

I see no issue with requriing a price to be posted. I guess the only caveat would be a situation like I encountered other day in a post here in which the OP was asking about a Teves problem. I advised in my reply that if they determined it was the accumulator that was needed, and they couldn't source a new one right away, I had a used working one they could contact me about if interested.

This is a case where I don't really want to sell the part (I've kept if for my own needs) but if someone is immobilized for lack of any other immediate option I'd help out. So, it wasn't a "for sale" ad per se, and was in the general forum, not the buy/sell anyway. If something like this runs afoul of the rule, I'd like to know so I can avoid doing so in the future.

Having a stated price keeps everyone honest.  The buyer knows what they're getting themselves in for, and the seller knows what to expect as payment.

Stating location is also helpful; especially if the item is heavy, or it's a car, and requires shipping.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KDirk said:

I see no issue with requriing a price to be posted. I guess the only caveat would be a situation like I encountered other day in a post here in which the OP was asking about a Teves problem. I advised in my reply that if they determined it was the accumulator that was needed, and they couldn't source a new one right away, I had a used working one they could contact me about if interested.

This is a case where I don't really want to sell the part (I've kept if for my own needs) but if someone is immobilized for lack of any other immediate option I'd help out. So, it wasn't a "for sale" ad per se, and was in the general forum, not the buy/sell anyway. If something like this runs afoul of the rule, I'd like to know so I can avoid doing so in the future.

I don't think we should make this more difficult.

Kevin I know you don't want to sell the part, you're trying to help someone and you're not listing on the buy/sell; but the point is you're offering something for sale.  If you don't want to sell it, tell the poster you have one if they get in a bind, but to try other vendors first.

On posts such as yours I've wondered what is the ethical thing to do.  I have extras of these parts also, should I be able to contact the poster, off-forum, and offer my parts for sale?

That seems creepy to me.  That's why I like things out in the open.  We should all be able to trust one another!

^ that's pretty well what I tried to get across in that particular post. I guess the logical thing would be to PM the poster with such an offer, but it was easier just to mention it in the course of the reply to their original question.

I'd not have even mentioned there it except that I know Spinning Wheels SC doesn't presently show any stock for the Hydac accumulator and if this is their only vehicle, it isn't safe to run with the brakes not functional, obviously. I don't believe there has been any follow on to that post yet from the OP,  both Ronnie and I made suggestions in testing the system so they could identify they cause of their hard pedal issue. This is now getting off topic, so I'll leave it there.

My grandfather used to live on a busy street.  He used to put items that he wanted to sell out by the curb with a big sign like,  "10 Hp Mercury" $50.  His theory was that most folks driving by might not need a used outboard engine but several of them would know of someone else who was looking for one and would pass the info along.  It worked like a charm and the entire family would use that spot to sell cars, boats, tools, etc.  Worked every time!

If selling a Reatta part then take good pics, with a price, what year it goes to and any important info.  Make it easy for the potential buyer!

7 hours ago, AZVET said:

If selling a Reatta part then take good pics, with a price, what year it goes to and any important info.  Make it easy for the potential buyer!

Agree, simple and direct...and no confusion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the comments so far. Keep them coming.   The majority of the comments seem to agree that we should keep the rule in the Buy/Sell forum to include a price when posting something for sale. I will try to make sure people follow that rule when I can. The problem with enforcing the rule is we frequently have new people come here and make just one post in the Buy/Sell forum to sell a car or part without including a price. They just leave and wait for someone to contact them by PM, email or phone.  After I ask them to add a price to their post and they don't comply, should I delete those posts or just let them get by with breaking the rules ???

11 hours ago, KDirk said:

I guess the only caveat would be a situation like I encountered other day in a post here in which the OP was asking about a Teves problem. I advised in my reply that if they determined it was the accumulator that was needed, and they couldn't source a new one right away, I had a used working one they could contact me about if interested.

Kevin makes a good point about offering a part here in the Reatta forum. I think forum members should be free to let someone know they have a part available without including a price. Especially in the case where we help new forum members determine which part they need. If the part they need is hard to find, or no longer available new, I see nothing wrong with letting them know there are parts available instead of keeping them in the dark. We have allowed this for years in the Reatta forum.  I hope we can all agree that this is the right thing to do?  If a discussion on this forum turns from troubleshooting to requests for parts and offers to sell, I will move those posts to the Buy/Sell forum where they belong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I seem to remember this discussion here a year or so ago.  It was possibly in the Buick General discussion.  First I'd like to say that I would prefer that price be required and if an ad doesn't list price, it should be excluded.  That said, I believe the AACA discussion if I recall correctly, revolved to price is suggested for ad placement rather than required.  If an ad doesn't have a price, I usually don't contact the seller.  That also goes for mileage (for vehicles) and location.  If they don't disclose this basic information, they are hiding something.

50 minutes ago, ol' yeller said:

I believe the AACA discussion if I recall correctly, revolved to price is suggested for ad placement rather than required.

I don't remember that discussion taking place in the Reatta forum but that's the way it is in other AACA Buy Sell forums.  That is what prompted me to start this topic. To my knowledge the rules in the Reatta Buy/Sell forum have always required an "asking price" to be included in a "for sale" post. I wanted to make sure it is still the will of Reatta forum members to require a price in posts made in the Buy/Sell forum. It seems to me the answer is...  YES.