Locomobile Parts Department "For Sale"

alsfarms

Thanks again Paul for your reference to a business in the parts reproduction business.  The Locomobile cap you refer to is actually for a Series car around 1907.  It may also fit my Locomobile but does not match my caps.  I will drop them a note and see if they also do the exact cap that I need.

Al

If you are missing your door threshold, Locomobile Script, trim pieces.  Contact me as I am going to go to an investment casting shop to have this trim piece reproduced with the intent to keep as much definition as possible.  The size is 7" long and the width is 1".  Contact me shortly if you are interested in a set of these threshold pieces.

Al

DSC01778.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Threshold piece is not correct for model 30.  I have what I believe to be correct plates. They were embossed by a press not a casting.  I was trying to have them laser etched to get the embossed look.

JR

• Like 1

Al,

In the Nov/Dec 1997 issue of Horseless Carriage Gazette on page 43 is an article on 1909 Model I Locomobiles. It might be worthwhile to contact these 4 owners as there is likely some degree of interchangeability between the Model L and I. Earl Filter wrote the article and knows the players.

Paul

09Loco.pdf

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to a start of a good special.  I had studied your project when it was listed on PREWAR CARS.  It is good to know that it is now a functioning project.  I do not have many parts for this later model Locomobile.  What specific items are you wanting to locate?

Al

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello hanskirp,  When I get the quote for duplication I will send that information over to you.  I do plan to use a modern high temp alternative to the original bakelite with a threaded brass inset to thread to the radiator neck.  I would need confirmation of your radiator neck threads in order to verify that the new cap will fit your radiator.  Have you done much more to your Locomobile project?

Al

• 3 weeks later...

If you, or a friend of yours, would be in need of a Locomobile script "Bakelite" type radiator cap, (using my pattern above), drop a note as this project is about ready to move forward.  The more caps built the better the price per each.  The cap will be cast out of a modern Bakelite hi temp substitute material and have a brass threaded insert glued into it to fit the neck of the  radiator, just like the originals.

Al

Edited by alsfarms
grammer (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello Chris,  Are you involved with the Durant Club?  It may be that body works from another of the Durant offerings would be similar enough to replace your missing sedan body.  It may also be an option to check on the possibility that a Junior 8 Locomobile sedan body could be fit to your 8-80.  At this moment I have no information on loose or spare body parts for your vintage Locomobile.  However, should I run across or hear of any possibilities suitable for your Locomobile I will pass along that information.  What state are you located in?

Alan

I am trying to locate the exact Gazette issue to refresh my memory on how Chris did his project and what material he used.  Time moves on from 7 or 8 years ago, and there is now a need again for a few of the Locomobile Bakelite style radiator caps.

Al

Hello Alan,

I have a scanned copy of it and will forward it to you. I just need to finds it! I am pretty sure

its on my school computer. It's a pretty straight forward process using silicone molds and

colored phenolic resin castings to simulate the bakelite.

I have been working on one for Joe. His is a modified version of the one shown below. We currently

have the 3D model now I need to either 3D print or CNC the master.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.4bdcfb9cf02a089423e2614f6cf0ed81.jpg

Cheers!

Terry

P.S. In regards to the Wisconsin... I finished and painted the patterns and core boxes for the rear water manifold and have most of the pattern pieces printed for

the front fitting. Its a slow process but they are looking great!

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello Terry,  Thanks for the forwarded information on home casting the reproduction radiator caps, Locomobile and others as needed.  I need to call the listed source to verify that the material can take the heat generated by the radiator.  Also, what provision needs to be made to protect the material from the suns UV harm.  Your Wisconsin water manifold update does sound great!

Regards,

Alan

Terry,  I have the idea that I will machine out the actual brass threaded insert and knurl the OD.  I will then make the rubber pattern, prep and pour a blank cap.  I would then set up and machine out the ID of the cap to accept the brass cap and epoxy them together.  I can see more issues with pouring the two pieces together, at one time, than I am willing to deal with.  After I get a good handle on the casting method, I have several other antique auto's that need to have replacement caps built.  If it is not one thing, it is ten others.....

Al

Edited by alsfarms
addition (see edit history)

Hello Alan,

I have not. When I get back into it I was planning to call the manufacturer and see if they have

a recommendation. I know they offer several types of resin for different applications.

I also have an article were a firm reverse engineered the distributor cap for a V12 Liberty engine

and were casting them out of resin as well. Their only issue was the resin was somewhat brittle

so they had to develop some unique steps in the manufacturing process.

I just e-mailed the article to you. You never know when the info will come in handy!

Best regards,

Terry

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello Alan,

I was just looking at the Smooth-On website. They offer a bunch of different resin products for different applications.

In regards to heat resistance they have EpoxyAcast 670HT which  can withstands temps up to 350 degrees depending on

how its cured.

They also have UV resistant pigments and additives. I am thinking it would be best to call a rep to discuss

what would work best but this might be a good place to start.

All good fun!

Best regards,

Terry

PS: here is the model of the cap for Joe. I think we are going to loose the script in the middle since he plans to use a moto-meter

Preliminary.thumb.jpg.48a554b020fd6fd2ca7317b625196ed8.jpg

• Like 2