removing rocker cover - inconvenient A/C bracket in the way....

moran75

Hi All

Looking to remove rocker cover on passenger side - there is a bracket attached to the back of the A/C unit that straddles the rocker cover...

It looks to me that if i remove the bolts that attach to the back and remove the bracket, then this will effectively mean the whole A/C unit needs to be removed, plus therefore the belts - unless of course i'm over thinking and ignoring a simpler method? ....

All the best

Kev

PS  - off at a slight tangent - the replacement rocker cover gaskets (x2) are accompanied by a total of 6 small, round gaskets - about an inch wide, maybe less. Seems i don't need them - at least on drivers side - so am i stating the obvious by assuming they would be useful on other applications/engines that the gaskets are compatible with?..

Kevin,

To make the job a little easier so you DON'T have to wrestle the cover past the A/C compressor remove the A/C adjustment bolt, remove the 2 belts & slide the A/C towards the fender. Now you don't have to wrestle the cover past the compressor. Those washers are for sealing the valve cover bolts. I don't like using them because they look so UGLY when installed. I use washers with builtin rubber for under the bolts. In my opinion looks factory. I have these in stock. Originally the factory used little copper washers.  Use the yellow weatherstrip adhesive to hold the gaskets to the cover before installing them & the job will go so much easier.

JMHO

Tom T.

On 09/03/2018 at 11:23 PM, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Kevin,

The small round gaskets may be for the holddown bolts.

Tom

indeed - did cross my mind - the bolts haven't got any gaskets (at least now) and no oil leak...plus the gaskets in the kit are really big...ill leave them off and see what happens

On 10/03/2018 at 12:57 AM, telriv said:

Kevin,

To make the job a little easier so you DON'T have to wrestle the cover past the A/C compressor remove the A/C adjustment bolt, remove the 2 belts & slide the A/C towards the fender. Now you don't have to wrestle the cover past the compressor. Those washers are for sealing the valve cover bolts. I don't like using them because they look so UGLY when installed. I use washers with builtin rubber for under the bolts. In my opinion looks factory. I have these in stock. Originally the factory used little copper washers.  Use the yellow weatherstrip adhesive to hold the gaskets to the cover before installing them & the job will go so much easier.

JMHO

Tom T.

yep, they are ugly - and big...no leak from the bolts so will leave as is for now