Hard breaks

Jacer

Hi guys, new here...

I got a beautiful 1990 red reatta, w minor details to be done...

Anwy..driven a little.. so come up w HARD PEDAL BREAK..., so..I decided to reeplace the break fluid..

So the problem still there...

Any sugestion.... :mellow:

4 hours ago, Jacer said:

Hi guys, new here...

I got a beautiful 1990 red reatta, w minor details to be done...

Anwy..driven a little.. so come up w HARD PEDAL BREAK..., so..I decided to reeplace the break fluid..

So the problem still there...

Any sugestion.... :mellow:

Welcome to the forum! You should determine if the brake pump is running by listening for it to run with the key on. I suspect it isn't. If it's not running you should check and/or replace the brake pump relay and fuse to make sure they are good. The following will help you do that.

Brake & ABS Relay Location

Brake Pump & ABS Fuse Location

Jacer, a hard break pedal on a Reatta is often due to a failed hydraulic accumulator on the ABS braking unit located on the drivers side firewall under the hood.  It looks like a black metal ball with a hex wrench insert on the top. This accumulator is pumped up to a very high pressure with brake fluid to operate the brake system.  A failed accumulator will not hold adequate pressure for proper braking and is unsafe. It will also place undue wear on the pump motor.

Go to Reatta owners journal brake test tutorial linked below to test the system and determine of you need a new accumulator. If the accumulator is bad, there is an outfit online, Spinning Wheels SC, that sells a suitable substitute for about $160 but I checked a week ago and it was out of stock, so they probably have a waiting list. If you are desperate for a working one I have one good used one left I can sell, message me here for details. Here's the link to the testing procedure.  

http://www.reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=64:brakes-mechanical&id=172:accumulator-testing-instructions

Edited by KDirk (see edit history)