Old Man Jimbo

Wheels and offset confusion , where is Confucius ?

My idea of dropped spindles isn't a new one. I've had 2" dropped spindles on my S10 Blazer for over 10 years. No geometry problems.

6 minutes ago, Old Man Jimbo said:

The spring being the key, nothing else will matter.

Think about that.....

I say go for it. Take photos as you go so we can see how you did it.

Your absolutely right. I didn't put it together as being the same as drop spindles . I have not had one of these struts out. Is the bracket that attaches to the knuckle welded on or pinched / spot welded on ?

I thought they probably did but wasn't sure. And of course to re weld them would do havoc to the structure , fluid and piston. 

At this point I am going to move forward with new struts , smaller coil with a comfy seat and possibly heat tempering to relax if needed. The end result hopefully with be a broader range of tire size.

This could be the start of a ground breaking revolution ..... LoL !

First thought is whether you want to keep a McPherson Strut suspension. Next the lower spring perch is the limit for tires. Dropping the offset enough to clear would have the front tires into the wheel wells on lock. Second way would the to reduce the size of the front tires to match the drop. A 1" drop would limit you to about a 24.3" tire. Might get away with stock axles but not sure.

With enough time and money you could bag it.

• Like 1

I had another thought (nightmare).....a quick look under my Reatta indicates there is about 1 1/2 of air space between the engine cradle and the body.

You could rework to cradle to allow the rubber mounts to be recessed into the cradle, I don't know if 1/2 in air space would work but that would lower the front 1 in

It would be a lot of work for just 1 in drop but combined with some of your other ideas,  you might get it down 3-4 inches.

• Like 1

Very good ideas guys. More so than lowering I am thinking the key here is to get rid of that awful 8" spring that is limiting tire size. If I went any lower on the suspension or body if a dead skunk was on the road I would be clipping it and be smelling dead skunk in the middle of the road .  ( Loudon Wainwright )