Definition of replica

1 : an exact reproduction (as of a painting) executed by the original artist

a replica of this was painted … this year

—Constance Strachey

2 : a copy exact in all details

DNA makes a replica of itself

sailed a replica of the Viking ship

; broadly : copy

This certainly is not a "replica".  It is a very interesting persons interpretation of a '36 Packard.  I'm sure it cost a lot more than they are asking for it.  If you gave it to me I might take  but probably not.

7 minutes ago, Bleach said:

I would be embarrassed to even ride in it.

Me too unless i was wearing a white full length mink coat with matching hat,  maybe 10 pounds of gold chains and diamond ear studs the size of door knobs. But hey, that's just me.................Bob

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

The green car is a real 1974 Lola, the yellow one a modern replica. The only difference is the new car is a little cheaper and if you roll it up into a ball a piece of history is not lost. Otherwise the two are more or less physically identical.  Who doesn't like a Cosworth powered go- kart !

LMClassic_1617.jpg

04861e50b2cde2aba6db7c11bfb1dcdb--classic-auto-road-racing.jpg

brands.jpg

RR5.jpg

RR6.jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I know of one DMV Commissioner who was fired for ordering employees to issue a title as a 1940 Ford.  The State General Assembly over reacted and passed one of the most restrictive old car transfer policies in the country.  This is truly a fraud, supported by the state the title was issued in.  I'd like to see the owner point out one original 1936 Packard part (other than title) on the car. 

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)

Beyond the absurd 'replica' status... how on earth can they even associate the Packard name to that thing?  There isn't one single styling (I use the term loosely) cue on it that even vaguely resembles a Packard of any year.  Even the hood ornament is an after market bird most commonly seen on Peterbilt trucks.

• Like 1

Super Eight with a six cylinder engine?!? Regardless, it is a well built car, from the pictures. I thing everyone would be more accepting if he didn't have the temerity to call it a Packard. It isn't everyone's cup of tea with it's Superfly vibe. I think I liked it better when it was an MGB

Edited by CarlLaFong (see edit history)

5aa215e4a4077_Shaycurtian.thumb.jpg.003731b8f897ae2d327e8a847371323d.jpgThere are many attempts to sell modern car to people who want the old look and not a streetrod or a real antique because they are afraid of old cars reliability and repair costs.

Try to find another plastic fender for that "Packard".

Here is another licensed Ford "Replica" that Ford wishes they never allowed their name on.

5aa2156e3c466_ShayF.thumb.jpg.2de812ae9a66c70792c1388cab688fc7.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin
added a second photo (see edit history)

It took three "Yes'"statements to put that packard-ish-thing in front of the public...

1.  Someone said yes to the idea.

2.  Someone said yes to building it.

3.  Someone said yes to buying it.

So, there are three people that like it.  That's probably it though.

Edited by Real Steel (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

It might even get worse.
4ed802f66b0d5_o,size,969x565,q,71,h,7218
But, from the other hand, the same guy later made replica of CWS T1, car that's unknown to survive.

There's company in Poland which manufacturers such "replicas". It seems that they use it as wedding cars...

p%20(3).jpg

P%20(3).jpg

P%20(4).jpg

The last one is advertised as a "1932 Alfa Romeo".

415889.jpg

And here's company website...

http://www.kakol.gd.pl/oldsmobile/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=158&Itemid=154&lang=en

What about the "Packard" - I like that it may be shipped in enclosed carrier. Probably to avoid public depravity.

Edited by filozof97 (see edit history)

How in the world did it ever get titled as a '36?

Only upside I can see is the interior would be very easy to keep clean. Just run the garden hose over all that Formica. :lol:

I know most of us think the subject car is a POS and generally I would agree, but I sort of like it for what it is.  Definitely not a "replica" of anything but maybe a "homage"?   Not my cup of tea, but somebody did a lot of work which I can appreciate... sort of.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I know most of us think the subject car is a POS and generally I would agree, but I sort of like it for what it is.  Definitely not a "replica" of anything but maybe a "homage"?   Not my cup of tea, but somebody did a lot of work which I can appreciate... sort of.

I think that everyone is jumping on the 36 Packard, that is not there in anyway. And the replica, of what? If listed as a home built one off car, a person would look at the quality of the build and styling choices. Just thought it would get some good comments from people. Fun to see what people have to say, how else could a person post a video clip about cleaning counter tops on a car forum. If not for the conversation going down a road, love it, made me laugh.:lol:   

11 hours ago, Digger914 said:

Best job of fitting an MGB wind screen to a Ford truck that I've ever seen.

I think the central portion of the body is actually a MG Midget.  Midgets were used as a base for a number of the "neoclassic" that sprung up in the 1980's and 90's.

A head turner is like the time I was leaving a restaurant an glanced at a sign like this real quick.

BPS-Membership_340x237.jpg

Like the car, some things stand out and grab your attention.

I the topic car could be called a tribute, as well. But that is another term that has been denigrated online.

It is a 35 year old interpretation of a 35 year old car at the time. This is the third time out of context.

Welcome to the 1980's again.

willy+wonka+flag+jack+and+the+chocolatef

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

2 hours ago, ragtop4two said:

I find it funny how the phrase"a real head turner" is used by the seller. Here's another real head turner, it doesn't actually mean everyone who turns their heads really appreciate what they are looking at.

California-Hot-Rod-Reunion-2016-Mike-Garrett-110-copy.jpg

You're right, Ragtop!  If that rat rod is a "head turner,"

some people might be turning their heads away in disgust!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

You're right, Ragtop!  If that rat rod is a "head turner,"

some people might be turning their heads away in disgust!

Let me add that it would also turn my stomach as does the "replica" in the OP.

I know these guys and they're honest dealers and I would even call them friends, but I don't know how the in the world they sold this "1929 Cadillac Fleetwood" for more than $60,000. As the owner of a 1929 Cadillac, I'm having trouble even processing this thing.

597336_bf5917247de3_low_res.JPG

• Haha 1

Years ago I used to buy a type of vehicle that might be called a sub-type of these "creations". The typical early 70's "chopper" motorcycle. Usually a British 650 or 750 twin. In the later 80's and early 90's they were very much out of style and could often be had for a song. I found them to be a great source of parts for my stock version models. British bikes were reasonably priced new in the early 70's, it was one way the once great British makes were trying to hold off the likes of Honda. It was not uncommon to take a nearly new British bike and subject it to the chopper treatment. They often were nearly unrideable after the modifications and would then sit gathering dust for a couple of decades. I harvested several very low mileage engines for minimal outlay.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

Maybe they are turning their head in order to throw up. 

5 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

Here is the original and a replica  done by a cheesy TV program. I think they at least got the colors of the fenders about right .

I thought nothing could be worse than the Packard but this was it.  Now the replica Packard is the second worst I have ever seen

1 hour ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

How about this Rolls Royce that just appeared on eBay...

https://m.ebay.com/itm/1925-Rolls-Royce-Other-Sedan/323130648973?hash=item4b3c16698d:g:TncAAOSwkXdaothY

the rare Maxwell powered version!

That looks like a really nicely restored car--that "conversion" probably made it less valuable, not more. What a shame.

• Like 1