1954 banker's hot rod

NC-car-guy

So, some of you may have noticed, I've alluded in some of my posts to having further dealings with the salesman at Buick Gardens. Watch this thread as I build a "banker's hot rod" out of a fine 1954 Buick Special 2 door sedan!  It is currently outfitted with a 264/3 speed and a marvelous purple paint and upholstery that I am still undecided on.  Waiting for it is a rebuilt 1956 322 with a 4bbl intake and factory dual exhaust manifolds that will go with a beefier 56 3spd transmission.  I am still undecided on ignition and carb.  I want to lower the car just a little, side pipe dual exhaust, power disc brakes, and undecided on wheels but might leave stock and put some big moon covers on them. I have some other minor mods in my head that I'll sort through in-process. Thanks again to my dealer in the south for keeping a steady supply to my addiction! :-)  She might not make it to la carrera panamericana, but she'll be tearing up the streets of Durham!  Here's her current state:

rosie 1.jpg

rosie 2.jpg

rosie 3.jpg

rosie 4.jpg

rosie 5.jpg

rosie 6.jpg

• Like 6

Just now, wndsofchng06 said:

I've not driven it yet.  I'm told it needs a clutch at minimum. I have a video of it driving from 3 years ago before I knew it. 

Gotcha ya.  Interested to see if the 3-speed is any good.  May be hard to tell if  you are not able to drive it.   Let me know if you find out anything on condition.       

• Like 1

17 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

As a side note, for me, this 48D would be completely black.  Rims black with the poverty caps she has on now.   Black dash and interior.  Call me crazy!     

Forgot to add, I would have some old wooden crates of moonshine Mason jars in the trunk... full of water of course.   Again,  call me crazy.    

• Like 2

And then, suddenly,  there were two..:ph34r:...and when you turn around there will be...three..:huh:.!  Thus the madness takes over..:o..But sure looks like a neat project!  And mostly done too!   you the lucky guy with that Southern Dealer!  :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Matt, I would ditch the power disc system, more trouble than it's worth. Find yourself a donor 56 Roadmaster and swap front backing plates, then find 58 to 60 BALL BEARING 12x2.5" front aluminum drums. That thing will stop pretty well with that setup! Dual exhaust will be difficult I imagine, you might have to cut up the frame. 

Im the end, I look forward to this build! You might want to look into a dual quad manifold to give yourself some extra ponies.

8 hours ago, Beemon said:

Matt, I would ditch the power disc system, more trouble than it's worth. Find yourself a donor 56 Roadmaster and swap front backing plates, then find 58 to 60 BALL BEARING 12x2.5" front aluminum drums. That thing will stop pretty well with that setup! Dual exhaust will be difficult I imagine, you might have to cut up the frame. 

Im the end, I look forward to this build! You might want to look into a dual quad manifold to give yourself some extra ponies.

I'm gonna go with firewall mounted system.   The duals are going to be side pipes so they will sit under the frame anyway.  But i do have the bits of a 56 frame that I could weld in....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just getting time to comment... Matt I so look forward to seeing what you will do with this car. It is in very good condition and a good candidate for what you have planned. As I said,  when I purchased it, my friend Brad and I were going to go in together and build a race car from it with plans to run it in the LaCarrera Pan-Americana races in Mexico, Brad driving and I as co-pilot. We recently come to the realization that we both have too many other projects and that I especially lack the energy or stamina to endure that grueling race. Not to mention that with my directions we'd likely end up at the Panama Canal.

She and the 3 speed are awaiting pickup anytime. and we'll leave the lights on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

By the way, if you have the front end suspension from a 56 laying around you may want to consider changing out the king pin of the '56 to the '54.  I could not tell a big difference when I had my '56 Century but the 7* angle of the '56 over the 0* of the 54-55 supposedly improved directional stability. I have a set on a Century parts car you are welcome to if you don't have them.

1 minute ago, MrEarl said:

By the way, if you have the front end suspension from a 56 laying around you may want to consider changing out the king pin of the '56 to the '54.  I could not tell a big difference when I had my '56 Century but the 7* angle of the '56 over the 0* of the 54-55 supposedly improved directional stability. I have a set on a Century parts car you are welcome to if you don't have them.

Interesting!  I had no idea.  I do indeed!  I have the 56 small body frame the middle of the car forward, all bits intact!   I'll add it to my list for this car!

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, EmTee said:

He's only working as an agent for the unnamed potential celebrity buyer...  :ph34r:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROoIxDJq6YU1_xrzExmzm

Oh the thing of nightmares. Btw, not forum appropriate so I won't say,  but  Google what the guy who played Barney does now......  ?

On 3/8/2018 at 3:01 PM, wndsofchng06 said:

I'll get her up and driving before I yank her guts out for transformation.  I will need to be able to sell the old guts to help fund the other work :-)

If you stuck in the six bolt large trans(same length), Hmmm?said the evil non-stock modifier!

1 hour ago, 2carb40 said:

If you stuck in the six bolt large trans(same length), Hmmm?said the evil non-stock modifier!

Well I am...

Is the 56 manual the same length, or like dynaflow is the 56 a bit longer

I have both 55&56 6 bolt sticks. I think the extra 1" is in the larger bell housing on the 1956 Dyna when they put the extra stator in. The 56 stick Bell is the same size as 54-55. I've had the two 55&56 trans side by side. Can't find a length diff? Have the complete 56 setup still assembled in the trailer I hauled it home in. Once my tape measure thaws out again I can verify comparitive lengths. If you measure your Spec trans from face where it bolts to bell to casting at the rear, without torque ball assembly, we can compare like measurements. Linkage rod used for Spec. trans, one of them needs to be lengthened some, according to one guy I sold a lrg to that did exactly what your doing. The bottom bellhousing bolt holes are closer to bottom for the 322" with large trans. Lemme know if you need more measurements, but if you still have the Spec trans and your large trans, length should match and the large trans ujoint I sent(coarse spline driveshaft end), will bolt on to replace a 56 fine spline joint!

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, 2carb40 said:

The bottom bellhousing bolt holes are closer to bottom for the 322" with large trans. Lemme know if you need more measurements, but if you still have the Spec trans and your large trans, length should match.

Sweet.  So the 264 and the 1954 5-bolt trans are going away.  I have a 1956 322 that's going in it. Sounds like it should all fit in fairly well.

• Like 1

Kinda tricky figuring out which models trans were what lengths! Two different driveshaft lengths '55 to go with different size cars, 55 Spec/Cent = same. 55 Sup/Roadie=same. Two different Dyna lengths 55 Sup/Roadie 1" approx longer than 55 Spec/Century and same length as 56 dyana all, so 1956 bolts right in 55 "large" series cars. 1956 driveshaft lengths all same as are dynas. To solve mystery of 55/56 stick trans same length. Side by side measurement tells the tale so ya don't end up with the come and go bluues. Bolt your 56 stick to the bell and put it next to your 55 spec trans bolted to a bell! Be sure to posts results! Expiring minds wanna know!

• 5 months later...

Well the time has come.  This weekend I'll be traveling to pick up the car!  Can't wait.  If anyone has anything that needs a ride to Georgia let me know.  I'll be pretty heavily loaded on the way back as I have a parts stop to make too!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Well the time has come.  This weekend I'll be traveling to pick up the car!  Can't wait.

Bush hogged the  field in front of the car so unless we get a bunch of rain you should be able to back right up to her. Worse case we can use my 4 wheel drive.

Don't forget to bring the rocks for the beverages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/4/2018 at 6:20 PM, MrEarl said:

Bush hogged the  field in front of the car so unless we get a bunch of rain you should be able to back right up to her. Worse case we can use my 4 wheel drive.

Don't forget to bring the rocks for the beverages.

No Cuban coffe and a cigar?

thats weak!

• Like 1