After running back and forth from the supplier I finally found the right socket size for the nut. Question: is it a reverse thread or is this just gonna be a b**** to get off. I gave it a couple bounces with my breaker bar but I'm not feeling it. I've got an impact gun also but I don't want to be going backwards. A piece of flat bar fit nicely deep in the gear teeth to keep it from turning. 

IMG_6710.JPG

I would think so also. Guess I'm thinking that because it spins. I've encountered that with home fan blades.  I've not only got a lock nut to contend with but it looks like it's been staked a bit at the crown. 

Yup it's standard thread. I've never owned or really needed an impact gun but I picked up an electric one a while back on sale. Man, it took seconds to get that nut cracked! The couple times I've used it has already paid itself back. 

IMG_6879.JPG

• Like 1

Not yet but thinking about it. I had removed the cover in order to fix a leak and seeing how accessible the gear and chain was I figured it was worth doing. I need to get a feel for the car this summer including the transmission.  

• Like 1