My "new" 1933 Hupmobile

GR8WHITE

Hey there everyone, I am new to the forum and wanted to see if anyone has any good info on my "new" car.  My grandfather is 90 and was going to just sell it because he didn't think anyone wanted it. He has given me his 1933 Hupmobile after I told him I would like to have it and keep it in the family.   He said the block was cracked so he pulled the head and put it in storage where it has been for over 30 years.  I am going to pull the motor and see where the crack is and hopefully have it welded.  I am an avid car guy (mostly muscle cars) but love anything with an engine and four wheels.  I have loved this car since I was a kid and I am going to pick it up this weekend. He also has a 1922 Cadillac Sedan in great condition that he pulled apart over 40 years ago and is sitting in 500 pieces in his garage, but that's another story.  Any info you guys could give me would be great, thank you.

IMG_65941.jpg

IMG_65951.jpg

Edited by GR8WHITE (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Welcome GR8,

That is a nice looking car.

I just got the motor for my Buick back from the machinist. I didn’t know I had a crack but they found 2 very small ones by pressure testing the block. You might want to give it a try if the crack is not obvious.

Good luck and keep sending those pictures, it would be cool to see the rest of the car.

Chuck

If your machine shop offers stitching rather than welding that is the way I would go.

Nice car by the way.  It is really nice when you can keep and drive a car that has been in the family for years.  If you get half as much fun out of your Grandfathers car as I have had out of my Grandfathers car you will have a great time.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I see California plates on this WONDERFUL car, so I suggest you take the block to Lock-n-Stitch in Turlock, CA, the absolute gold standard in the crack repair industry.  These engines are rare enough that it must be done right the first time. I have no connection with them other than as a delighted customer.  They may chose to weld or perhaps their patented pinning process; they are the experts--and not at all expensive for what you get!

http://www.locknstitch.com/index.html  has an excellent explanation.

This is a superb Hupp with all the superb Art Deco and Streamline themes, and it deserves all the care you can lavish on it.

• Like 2

Six friendly, admiring, and helpful comments

in only 2 hours!  You can see the advantage of

uniting with fellow-minded car enthusiasts.

The Antique Automobile Club of America, 

and the Hupmobile Club, will be of great help.

If the AACA has a "region" near you, consider joining,

because then you can interact with local antique-car

fans and get a lot more enjoyment out of your ownership.

They should have shows and tours and other events near you.

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

Looks be in really nice shape under the dust.  The paint even glows the way it is.  How is the interior? 

It's all there. Even still has pull down shades in the back. Could use a some love though. There is a trunk like case in laying on the back seat and my gramps says it's a luggage box that attached to the back of the car.

IMG_65991.jpg

• Like 2

The door panels don't look too bad.  A similar color wool blanket on the seat and you might be good to go.  I assume that has to be a repaint.  Other than the interior,  do you know what has or hasn't been restored? We love original cars and this appears to have a lot of originality to it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

The door panels don't look too bad.  A similar color wool blanket on the seat and you might be good to go.  I assume that has to be a repaint.  Other than the interior,  do you know what has or hasn't been restored? We love original cars and this appears to have a lot of originality to it.  

I honestly do not know. As far as my grandfather has told me it's all original. But his memory isn't what it used to be and after the last stint in the hospital he appears to have the beginning signs of possibly dementia.  He mixes his words up, you know what he means but the wires get a little crossed.

Welcome to  the  Hupp  family  of  fine  cars. Well looking  at  the  4  hood  doors,  I  though it  was  an F or  I  8 cyl.  instead,  its  a Model  K  6 cyl.   Being  a charter member  of the  Hupmobile  Club started in  1970 in  Cal. I  would encourage you  to  join  us. We  have  tec.  advisors  that can  help with  questions you  may have. A  great library of  Hupp  literature , parts  locater and  a club  magazine.  Just  type  Hupmobile  Club on  your  search  engine  and  you  will  find  all the  info  you  need to  join.  

I'll second the motion to join the Hupp club.  It will be very helpful to you.   The artillery wheels are fairly rare on a 32/33 cycle fender car, at least in my observation.  

My advice is to wash it and then 100% focus on getting in to run and ignore any minor esthetic issues.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hupp36 said:

I  was  looking  at  an  old 1971 Hupp  Herald  and came  across  a Bob  White who was a member of  the  Hupp Club. Is  that  your  grandfathers  name?

No my Grandfather is not part of any clubs.

12 hours ago, alsancle said:

I'll second the motion to join the Hupp club.  It will be very helpful to you.   The artillery wheels are fairly rare on a 32/33 cycle fender car, at least in my observation.  

My advice is to wash it and then 100% focus on getting in to run and ignore any minor esthetic issues.  

What kind of wheels were available? What makes these different?

In 1978 Automobile Quarterly  Vol. 16  #  1 had  a  article on  Hupmobiles.  Page  85  shows a great pic  of a look alike of your model  car. As far as  rims  offered,  they  were  wood  spoke,  wire or  like  you  have.  Your  engine  is  90  HP.  

Joining the Hupmobile Club will provide you with technical information you can contact. 

Once a year we have a 4 or 5 day rally.

It moves around the country, in 2017 it was in San Diego and the June 2018 will be in Staunton, VA.

Based on travel distance & if your car is running, many people fly or drive in and tour in a Hupp.

In 2017, one couple flew in from Australia.   

Edited by huptoy
Removed comment about radiator cap "Circle H". Thanks Hupp36 for your good information. (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, huptoy said:

Jan Arnett has excellent advise. 

The radiator cap is worth 650 to 1,000 or more and you could wait a long time to find a replacement. 

Take it off anytime you are not with the car in a public area like a restaurant etc.

Joining the Hupmobile Club will provide you with technical information you can contact. 

Once a year we have a 4 or 5 day rally.

It moves around the country, in 2017 it was in San Diego and the June 2018 will be in Staunton, VA.

Based on travel distance & if your car is running, many people fly or drive in and tour in a Hupp.

In 2017, one couple flew in from Australia.   

I will be joining the club soon enough.  Just curious but what were the averge speeds these cars were capable of?  Freeway speeds? I doubt it, because I really want to make this a drivers car that I can take the family out for rides around town.

Super nice find.  I had a chance to buy a 31 Graham last year but passed as it had seen some fairly damp storage over the last 10 years and was in non op condition.  I saw a huge list of to dos and a lot of rust and corrosion lurking under the dust and dirt. It was far from cheap as well.  Yours however looks wonderful.  The family link only adds to it. 

The  2  scans will tell  you the  connection. Raymond  Loewy was  a member of the Hupmobile  Club  untill he  left  this  earth. He  and  Henry  Miller  one  of the founders of the  Hupmobile  Club  were5aa671af4b49b_Loewy001.thumb.jpg.5f26bfece4b8b8d4dccb2431de8e3517.jpg  good  friends.

Loewy 2 001.jpg

Adding  one  thing, the  circle H is the hood  ornament . It is  bolted to  the  car. The  radiator cap is  under the  hood. Please  do  not think  that  I am a smart A------ for  explaining this as  I  have  owned  2  cycle  fender Hupps.

5 hours ago, Hupp36 said:

Adding  one  thing, the  circle H is the hood  ornament . It is  bolted to  the  car. The  radiator cap is  under the  hood. Please  do  not think  that  I am a smart A------ for  explaining this as  I  have  owned  2  cycle  fender Hupps.

No worries.  I just wanted to know the story behind the radiator cap deal.  They must be very rare?  Do they say Hupmobile on them?  I need to check and see if it has one on there.

14 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Super nice find.  I had a chance to buy a 31 Graham last year but passed as it had seen some fairly damp storage over the last 10 years and was in non op condition.  I saw a huge list of to dos and a lot of rust and corrosion lurking under the dust and dirt. It was far from cheap as well.  Yours however looks wonderful.  The family link only adds to it. 

It is in fairly good condition, however everything on the car needs attention.  Chrome is pitted, paint is peeling/chipped in a lot of places, small dents, cracked engine block etc.  The interior is all there but will need to be completely re-done as some little varmints have been living in it for some time.

The one I looked at was much worse even had some small rust holes. That I think eventually sold for 7500 to the friend of an owner.  I offered 4500.  Your 33 is a lot nicer style than the 31 I looked at.  That chrome may clean up better than you think as well.  WD40 and some fine 0000 steel wool,  then follow with some Mother's mag and aluminum polish,  goes along ways.  Small chrome or nickel plate parts especially pot metal parts that are scuzzy,  could be soaked in evaporust for a day or so and will come out surprisingly nice with all the nooks and crannies cleaned out.  I use it for interior door handles.  On nickel plated pieces it removes all the green and leaves the surface smooth,  so you can then polish it with Mothers.  

You'll have fun cleaning it up.  Looks a world better already.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In 1967 when I  bought  my  1932 model  F  Victoria, some  one  had  hack  sawed  off the  hood  ornament. I  got  a  new  reproduction  from Pulfer and  Williams about  1971. It  was  made of  brass and  a great reproduction.  Sold the  car  and  the  hood  ornament to  a good  friend  in  Cal.

• 1 year later...

Maybe Mr. White is  like  my  grand  son,  he  just  started  a career as  fire  fighter/ Emt,  a  new  baby and  just  bought  a  house.  That  could be  the  same  thing  for  Mr.  White. My  grand  son  thinks I  can  walk  on  water  so  maybe Mr  White thinks  the  same  of  his  grandfather  so  he  will  fix  the  Hupp  when  the time  is  right. Just  my  thoughts. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I remember this thread, so I just sent the GR8WHITE a PM. I really hope he reports back. What a fine looking car, with an original interior in pretty good condition.       You know : I think I will PM Thomas Pruett also. Been over a year for him.    -    Carl 

• 4 months later...

Hey there guys.  My focus has been on finishing my 1970 Chevelle drag car.  I picked it up just before I got the Hup.  Also had to finish building my shop so I could have enough room to accommodate my car fetish lol.  Once the Chevelle is done I will start giving the Hup some love.  I have two little girls 9 and 6 with another girl on the way that occupy most of my time, but you all know how that goes.  My grandfather that gave me the Hup,  passed away a couple weeks ago.  Now I am working with my Mom to get his 1922 Cadillac Suburban that he completely disassembled, sold and out of the garage before the house goes up for sale.  That car too was stored 40+ years ago.

Cadillac 1.JPG

Edited by GR8WHITE (see edit history)
  • Like 1