Unusual Request … 1972 Riviera “original” order form

Rivman

I am looking for an “original” 1972 Buick Riviera “car order form”. I have copies of Revision #1 and Revision #2, but I’m looking for the original order form.

5aa013e87cf72_WHOLESALECARORDER-REV1.thumb.jpg.3553cb91d24a0db83d8970c55b9b5f14.jpg

5aa014216b6ab_WHOLESALECARORDER-REV2.thumb.jpg.c8966e709028437e484f2d920bdb4bd7.jpg

I am looking for the original form to try and decipher some of the options that were ordered on my ‘72 GS according to the microfilm the Sloan has. There are items on the microfilm they can’t explain that are not on the Rev #1 or #2 order form, Rev #2 is what they have at the Sloan.

They completed their research, I was actually trying to find the “name” of the original color it came with, but they were not able to help, so they waived their fees for the research they did send. They did however uncover a couple of oddities about it that they were not able to explain. This is the reason I’m looking for the original order form, hopefully that will uncover the info the Sloan couldn’t explain?

Any help is appreciated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rivman said:

I am looking for an “original” 1972 Buick Riviera “car order form”. I have copies of Revision #1 and Revision #2, but I’m looking for the original order form.

5aa013e87cf72_WHOLESALECARORDER-REV1.thumb.jpg.3553cb91d24a0db83d8970c55b9b5f14.jpg

5aa014216b6ab_WHOLESALECARORDER-REV2.thumb.jpg.c8966e709028437e484f2d920bdb4bd7.jpg

I am looking for the original form to try and decipher some of the options that were ordered on my ‘72 GS according to the microfilm the Sloan has. There are items on the microfilm they can’t explain that are not on the Rev #1 or #2 order form, Rev #2 is what they have at the Sloan.

They completed their research, I was actually trying to find the “name” of the original color it came with, but they were not able to help, so they waived their fees for the research they did send. They did however uncover a couple of oddities about it that they were not able to explain. This is the reason I’m looking for the original order form, hopefully that will uncover the info the Sloan couldn’t explain?

Any help is appreciated.

The data plate will show the two digit paint code. If you notice in the box for exterior paint, it is blank, the dealer had to put in the code #. as there were so many colors to choose from .

Bob Bonto

1 hour ago, bob71GS said:

The data plate will show the two digit paint code. If you notice in the box for exterior paint, it is blank, the dealer had to put in the code #. as there were so many colors to choose from .

Bob Bonto

Thanks for the reply Bob, but the color isn't the info I am looking for at this time.

Mine is an SCO car, so the number on the body tag doesn't match any of the paint code options, it just lists a number that was probably a "job" number for the build. The microfilm from the Sloan just lists "001" which they said meant it was a special car order, which I already knew, but they could not tell me the color.

What I am looking for is on the copy of the microfilm the Sloan sent me for my Riv shows a "C" option under "L", and an "8" under the "*" option. Since neither of those choices are listed on Revision #1 or #2 I was hoping to be able to see the "original", non-revised, form and see if they are listed on it.

Thanks again for the reply though,

So you have a 72 Riviera with special order paint and want to know what that color was? Where would you get the original form if not inside the car itself?

I think you might need the original order form, as you mentioned, because I think a build sheet would not even say the color??? but that could be hand written perhaps?

No clues by looking at the paint itself in trunk or other areas?

32 minutes ago, Rivman said:

Thanks for the reply Bob, but the color isn't the info I am looking for at this time.

Mine is an SCO car, so the number on the body tag doesn't match any of the paint code options, it just lists a number that was probably a "job" number for the build. The microfilm from the Sloan just lists "001" which they said meant it was a special car order, which I already knew, but they could not tell me the color.

What I am looking for is on the copy of the microfilm the Sloan sent me for my Riv shows a "C" option under "L", and an "8" under the "*" option. Since neither of those choices are listed on Revision #1 or #2 I was hoping to be able to see the "original", non-revised, form and see if they are listed on it.

Randall,

In checking my archives, I found 596 72's were built for special car order paint -extra charge & 735 special car order paint-no extra charge. They are listed as option code 35 & 37. I think that if someone wanted another GM division color, some would be extra charge and some would not. At this point it would be hard to know what the actual paint code was. it would have been nice if GM would have put SCO & then the paint code #.  Good luck.

Bob Bonto

1 hour ago, Rivman said:

Hi Randall,

It doesnt make much sense to me that an L-c option would appear on a wholesale car order form which is earlier than what you have. If anything, I would expect an L-c to be on a later form, not earlier.

I checked the `72 folder in the ROA library but all we have on hand are the same order forms you have pictured.

HOWEVER! We do have a catalog entitled " 1972 advanced product information " and in the catalog I found a sample Wholesale Car Order. This must be the first version of the order form as the catalog came in advance of the car`s and dealer book`s arrival. As I suspected, the characters you are seeking are not on this first version of the Wholesale Car Order form. Sorry.

I dont know exactly what paper work you are obtaining your info from, but if you would like to forward what you have to me I would be glad to have a look.

Question, do the sales codes you are describing also have UPC codes? A UPC code will generally be an alpha character along with a 1 or 2 digit number, like A48.

Tom

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Chimera said:

So you have a 72 Riviera with special order paint and want to know what that color was? Where would you get the original form if not inside the car itself?

I think you might need the original order form, as you mentioned, because I think a build sheet would not even say the color??? but that could be hand written perhaps?

No clues by looking at the paint itself in trunk or other areas?

Thanks, but no, I am not looking for paint color info.

I have pretty much decided to use 1972 Opel Glacier Blue, using paint chips that appears to be the closest match.

Here I am looking to clarify some of the option codes used on this Riv compared to what it shows on the order form.

12 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Hi Randall,

It doesnt make much sense to me that an L-c option would appear on a wholesale car order form which is earlier than what you have. If anything, I would expect an L-c to be on a later form, not earlier.

I checked the `72 folder in the ROA library but all we have on hand are the same order forms you have pictured.

HOWEVER! We do have a catalog entitled " 1972 advanced product information " and in the catalog I found a sample Wholesale Car Order. This must be the first version of the order form as the catalog came in advance of the car`s and dealer book`s arrival. As I suspected, the characters you are seeking are not on this first version of the Wholesale Car Order form. Sorry.

I dont know exactly what paper work you are obtaining your info from, but if you would like to forward what you have to me I would be glad to have a look.

Question, do the sales codes you are describing also have UPC codes? A UPC code will generally be an alpha character along with a 1 or 2 digit number, like A48.

Tom

Tom,

Great info, thanks!

If you have the "pre" original Wholesale Car Order form I bet it would be correct, thanks for looking. Any way you could either scan or take a picture of it and sent it to me?

What I am going from is a copy of the microfilm from the GM archives that the Sloan sent me a few years ago. No UPC codes, just the one line of the microfilm, I'll attach it here. They told me errors were unusual so if the codes listed don't exist it would seem odd?

5aa1458209464_PRINTFROMBUICKMICROFILM-W-VIN.thumb.jpg.7e1a3535bf0ea7f45a0db962fb844cf2.jpg

This is my '72 GS that has the very early body number, "000823", and the late build date, "03B", so it is an oddity anyway.

Thanks again,

17 minutes ago, NC68Riviera said:

Maybe the body was built and put aside due to the special order status then completed at a much later date?

That possibility has been mentioned over the years, or it may have been damaged, or something, and set aside until it was repaired, then built. Who knows?

This Riv does seem to have several oddities that’s for sure.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chimera said:

What color is it now?

The car is a baby blue color, at first I was thinking it might be 1970 Azure Blue, but after checking with others, and looking at paint chips, it was kind decided it is more than likely 1972 Opel Glacier Blue.

IMG_1735.thumb.JPG.ca1fe305854cd2f2504b35fb336c022e.JPG

I have been told to just paint it whatever I want to since no one would know it was any different than it was originally, because there is no specific paint code on the body tag, I just want to get it as close to original as I can.

055.thumb.JPG.d5618c10fc5a0279f157fdd7c05e6e8b.JPG

My guess is the car was originally ordered by a University of North Carolina fan, colors are Carolina (sky) blue/white, thus the light blue body/white top and interior.

A full line auto body supply jobber should have a spectrum analyzer*  that, when held to the paint, will identify the color by name and code.  No messing with dye on paper being close to paint on metal, it will give you an exact match. Especially if the paint is old and perhaps not the same color as it was 40 some years ago - good for repairs when you're not repainting the entire car.

* could be called a spectrometer or spectrophotometer. 

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, RivNut said:

A full line auto body supply jobber should have a spectrum analyzer*  that, when held to the paint, will identify the color by name and code.  No messing with dye on paper being close to paint on metal, it will give you an exact match. Especially if the paint is old and perhaps not the same color as it was 40 some years ago - good for repairs when you're not repainting the entire car.

* could be called a spectrometer or spectrophotometer. 

Thanks, been there, done that.

BUT, I am still NOT trying to find out the color with this thread, I was just replying to Gabriel's question about what color it is now.

On 3/8/2018 at 8:20 AM, Rivman said:

Tom,

Great info, thanks!

If you have the "pre" original Wholesale Car Order form I bet it would be correct, thanks for looking. Any way you could either scan or take a picture of it and sent it to me?

What I am going from is a copy of the microfilm from the GM archives that the Sloan sent me a few years ago. No UPC codes, just the one line of the microfilm, I'll attach it here. They told me errors were unusual so if the codes listed don't exist it would seem odd?

5aa1458209464_PRINTFROMBUICKMICROFILM-W-VIN.thumb.jpg.7e1a3535bf0ea7f45a0db962fb844cf2.jpg

This is my '72 GS that has the very early body number, "000823", and the late build date, "03B", so it is an oddity anyway.

Thanks again,

Hi Randall,

I`m not familiar with this "document", or maybe partial document?, but it has the same format as the glovebox IBM card. I will continue to do some "digging" but no clear pathway right now as to where to go next?

Have you dropped the fuel tank on your car? If you could find the build sheet on top of the tank that may even have the original color written somewhere on the sheet.

Do you have the Daily Car Reports for 1972? This would be the document Darwin referenced when doing his Options Not Included article if he did one for `72.

If you do have the report email it to me so I can look it over. We do not have a copy in the ROA library,

Tom 

• Thanks 1

I was sure I had stumbled across more possibilities somewhere regarding the *...so I checked the 1966 Accessory And Options Code sheet and found one of your answers. If you zoom in on the scan you will see *8 is for Special Car Order.

Regarding your LC code...does your car have plain glass? I`m not certain about `72 models but the tinted glass in earlier years had a green tint. Perhaps because this was a special order color Buick, or the ordering dealer or customer would be fearful the "colored" glass would clash with the exterior color? I have seen plain glass in first gen special order exterior colors even though otherwise the cars were loaded. Just throwing this out there as a possibility...

Hope this helps,

Tom

img276.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rivman said:

The car is a baby blue color, at first I was thinking it might be 1970 Azure Blue, but after checking with others, and looking at paint chips, it was kind decided it is more than likely 1972 Opel Glacier Blue.

IMG_1735.thumb.JPG.ca1fe305854cd2f2504b35fb336c022e.JPG

I have been told to just paint it whatever I want to since no one would know it was any different than it was originally, because there is no specific paint code on the body tag, I just want to get it as close to original as I can.

055.thumb.JPG.d5618c10fc5a0279f157fdd7c05e6e8b.JPG

My guess is the car was originally ordered by a University of North Carolina fan, colors are Carolina (sky) blue/white, thus the light blue body/white top and interior.

Thank you for the pictures.

Its like an iceberg on wheels! Get glacial with it. 

img273.jpg

THANKS TOM!

You're right that it doesn't show the codes I'm looking for but it does show one noticeable difference.

This "sample" list the "CUSTOM TOP - EXTRA COST" and the Revisions both show "SHORT VINYL TOP", which was not advertised as available until the letter dated Feb 2, 1972. Still makes me wonder?

Hi Randall,

I`m not familiar with this "document", or maybe partial document?, but it has the same format as the glovebox IBM card. I will continue to do some "digging" but no clear pathway right now as to where to go next?

Have you dropped the fuel tank on your car? If you could find the build sheet on top of the tank that may even have the original color written somewhere on the sheet.

Do you have the Daily Car Reports for 1972? This would be the document Darwin referenced when doing his Options Not Included article if he did one for `72.

If you do have the report email it to me so I can look it over. We do not have a copy in the ROA library,

Tom 

Tom,

It was actually just a printed copy of the "line" on the GM microfilm of my VIN number ...

5aa3d71376ecb_PRINTFROMBUICKMICROFILM.thumb.jpg.7036bd74dbd0f41a3c9fb230af13060e.jpg

I added the graph above it in my previous post for clarification. There was also a letter included that talked about each segment of the info, that was what I added to the other one.

I have not dropped the tank, have removed just about everything else though, I might visit that and see if I locate any info.

I'll get with you off-line about your last question above ...

I was sure I had stumbled across more possibilities somewhere regarding the *...so I checked the 1966 Accessory And Options Code sheet and found one of your answers. If you zoom in on the scan you will see *8 is for Special Car Order.

Regarding your LC code...does your car have plain glass? I`m not certain about `72 models but the tinted glass in earlier years had a green tint. Perhaps because this was a special order color Buick, or the ordering dealer or customer would be fearful the "colored" glass would clash with the exterior color? I have seen plain glass in first gen special order exterior colors even though otherwise the cars were loaded. Just throwing this out there as a possibility...

Hope this helps,

Tom

Thanks again, at least it does give a good "possible" explanation for the "*" code, just off a few years on the info?

For the LC code, no mine doesn't have plain glass, it is tinted all around. This '66 info does list an LC, looks like it says ... "Headrests - Conventional Bench Both Sides" ... MAYBE? I can't make it out for certain? Which would not make sense for mine since it has bucket seats?

Still a mystery, but thank you for looking and your assistance with this.

Attached is a page from the 1971 option code list that shows *8, nothing is listed for LC though.  For the body number, I think Flint started reserving the first 2000 body numbers for SCO cars in 1970.  For 1970 and later, every trim tag I have for an SCO car has a low body number, I've include some of them.

1971 Buick Option Codes.jpg

1971 Buick Trim Tag 42.jpg

1971 Buick Trim Tag 54.JPG

1972 Buick Trim Tag 101.jpg

1973 Buick Trim Tag 07.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, sean1997 said:

Attached is a page from the 1971 option code list that shows *8, nothing is listed for LC though.  For the body number, I think Flint started reserving the first 2000 body numbers for SCO cars in 1970.  For 1970 and later, every trim tag I have for an SCO car has a low body number, I've include some of them.

Thank you too Sean!

Apparently, that answers the “*8” code, I just wonder why it would not have shown on the car order form? Maybe there just wasn’t enough space so they left it off?

The low body numbers of the “SCO” body tags you included makes sense too! That makes me feel a little better that mine wasn’t damaged and set aside for repair that’s for sure.

It still seemed strange there was a six-month difference between the body build and the manufacture of the car, but, the ’71 43467 you show has a 108 body, which would have been VERY early in ’71 production, and a manufacture date of 04D. So, I think you are right-on there, for SCO cars they reserved the body long before the car was manufactured.

Going by this I wonder if the SCO car was ordered very early in the production year and the customer had to wait six or seven months for their car to arrive?

• 3 years later...