27 commander cowl lights

Hello, everybody. I'm wanting to put together my chrome cowl lights on my 27 Commander roadster but am missing some inside parts. What holds the lens and reflector in place? My guess is some kind of a spring type wire pressing against the glass and housing. And how is the whole thing held together? I see the hole for a screw but what does it attach to?  I'm just asking here; does anybody have a cowl light they can take apart showing all the parts, and could you post it here?  Mabey someone out there has some old ones I could salvage parts from.

Thank you, Commander Dave

• 2 weeks later...

do they look this dave, these are off my 27 dictator i'm putting back together, of all the pics i've seen of 27 dictators none had the cowl lamps like this but the small bullet type on top of the cowl, it sure looks like these are original to my car from the mounting holes and lack of top lamp mounting holes on mine, but that's another story on figuring out all the questions on mine! let me know if you need pics of internals i will get them to you. 

IMG_2101.JPG

IMG_2102.JPG

To Danoz; Thank you for answering very, very much. Yes they do look like my cowl lights but mine have been re-chromed at one time. Now what I'm wondering is how is the glass held in and how in the world are the 2 pieces held together. I have already rigged something to hold the glass in by bending some paper clips pressing against the back side of the reflector. Now, how does the screw at the back of the shell pull both pieces together? Would it hurt yours to take one apart and let me see how this is done? Thank you very much.

Kind regards; Commander Dave

12 minutes ago, commander Dave said:

To Danoz; Thank you for answering very, very much. Yes they do look like my cowl lights but mine have been re-chromed at one time. Now what I'm wondering is how is the glass held in and how in the world are the 2 pieces held together. I have already rigged something to hold the glass in by bending some paper clips pressing against the back side of the reflector. Now, how does the screw at the back of the shell pull both pieces together? Would it hurt yours to take one apart and let me see how this is done? Thank you very much.

Kind regards; Commander Dave

no problem commander i will get one apart and take some pics

here u go commander looks like the screw in the back is your retainer screw,  then u have a spring loaded dual purpose retainer bracket which holds the lamp bucket to the lenz then when tightened by retainer screw pulls bezel,lenz and bucket tight against the housing. certainly something that can be made with ordinary hand tools..... just time consuming ( as usual). good luck

IMG_1759.JPG

IMG_1760.JPG

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1767.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1770.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1790.JPG

IMG_1791.JPG

IMG_1792.JPG

Danoz; YES!  Once again very much!  Now it's easy to see how simple the arrangement is. Thank you for all your time and effort to help me out and maybe even others. Your willingness to help is inspirational.  I will now try to make something like this. This is going to be a challenge , but if it works will be worth it in the end.

Now then, if anybody out there has the retainer and bulb socket it would help put another part together for people see a more complete antique Studebaker. Somehow in my excitement I hit some key to make the letters like this. Danoz; maybe we can meet some day and have a chat.

no problem dave my pleasure, after disassembling mine i noticed i have a hair line crack on each bezel that i will need to repair before chrome, so we both have some work  to do. however  i'll be damned if i can figure out how to separate the two piece bezel with out ruining it somehow the factory put these two pieces together but if you notice in attached pics the bezels are tapered so pulling on them i would imagine only gets tighter and they are tight already!... hmmm.. we will see, need to spend some time on it when i get a chance. have a beer it's saint patricks day!

IMG_1796.JPG

IMG_1795.JPG

Danoz; I see what you mean with there being 2 pieces. Thank goodness mine were chromed at some time. Have you thought about some of the heat treatment procedures posted on the forum?. I know these pieces would be easy to ruin by a lot of prying, but I remember something about using an old toaster oven. Yes, it gives us something to ponder and get our minds off of every day troubles. Lots of luck, Commander Dave

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2018 at 12:10 AM, Spinneyhill said:

Those cracks are probably work hardening cracks. You should anneal them before any further attempts to separate the two pieces.

think im going to lead repair the crack in place if the chromer can work with that