Pierce-Arrow 1935-36 Delco-Remy Distributor

rak2

Looking for a good home for this distributor.  Delco-Remy model 4105.  Research indicates it was from a 1936 1936 12 cylinder Pierce Arrow. 

Will try to attach a photo.

The story is that my father (now 91) worked in a garage after high school.  Then went into the navy and after he got out in 1946 one of his co-workers from the garage gave him this distributor.  The fellow was attempting to restore a Pierce-Arrow, but his new family was holding him back in the time and money department.  It has been indoors, wrapped in a towel, in a box in the closet since 1946.

Any information on who might be able to make good use of it would be appreciated. 

Richard

Delco-Remy.pdf

Delco_Remy_4105.jpeg

Thats a standard Pierce distributor that fits MOST Pierce twelve cars. Distributors are fairly common and only have a moderate value. The cap rotor are popular with people for spares, but recently they were made new by the Pierce Arrow Foundation, thus the value of a used cap had diminished quite a bit with perfect reproductions available for very reasonable cost. You can now buy a new cap for less money than used ones were selling for.............If you want to sell it, send me a PM and I'll make you an offer, but first I will need more photos of the underside and top side of the cap. Enclosed is a photo of my V-12 Pierce, that uses the same distributor. Ed

IMG_3743.jpg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Thanks everyone for the additional information and insight.  I will try to post some additional photos. The quality on some photos is not great.  Don't have it here with me to take better photos as the distributor is in Birmingham, AL and I'm in northwest Florida.

Trying to add more photos now....

rak2 - Richard

Delco_Remy_41054.jpeg

Delco_Remy_41055.jpeg

Delco_Remy_41056.jpeg

I am interested in the Distributor. I have a 1934 Pierce-Arrow 12 cyl. Sent out the Distributor last year for re-build. Can't seem to get it back. Not desperate, but frustrated. Recuperating from difficult medical situation. Wife  not aware of car. Going to rehab. this morning. If it is still available, I could make an offer by PM this afternoon or tomorrow. Thanks.

Packard Lover,

Sorry to hear of your medical challenge and hope you are able to make a good recovery soon - and get back to work on your restoration!

Everyone please be patient with me on this.  It may take a little time as there are others involved on my end and it will take a little time to coordinate an agreement on what to do.   I apologize that I came to the forum not with the distributor in a box ready to ship, but instead as a search to see if anyone in the world can do something constructive with it besides us throwing it in the trash.  The interest and expertise here is encouraging and I am optimistic that we will be able to do something.  But, it might take a few weeks.

rak2

Hi Louis ,

.         I feel tremendous empathy for you. I am also an old man , with serious medical problems , frustration , AND desperation. Look : why don't you tell us where in the world your distributor went. Possibly someone in that area can retrieve it for you. For example  , if it is in Washington State , I could probably get it for you. I do have some persuasive , strong young friends. For starters , let us know what city it is in. In the outside chance it is in my State , please contact me by P.M. 

I don't know if it is a good thing or a bad thing that your wife does not know of your great V12 Pierce Arrow , so I won't touch that one ! Get well and back on the road soon !     - Carl 

At our stage of life and health issues , long term commitment to slow service is inadvisable. Have your tech fwd the distributor to Classic and Exotic Services in Troy , Michigan. The times I have used them , turnaround has been refreshingly fast. Absolutely top-notch quality. This adds up to a bargain at time of billing from my perspective. Money well spent. We can't afford the downtime these days , my friend !     - Carl  

• 1 month later...

Ok fellows. I now have this distributor in my possession and was able to take what might be better pictures for anyone that is interested.  As you can see, I've made no attempt to clean it up - which is probably a good thing as I don't know how to do so safely.  This one has the original brown plastic cap.  And, unfortunately, I have no way to determine if it is actually operational.

Delco_Remy_outside1.jpg

Delco_Remy_inside1.jpg

Edited by rak2 (see edit history)

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

Be sure to keep the cap clipped on the distributor or it can change shape and warp. 

Yes - that has always been the normal storage mode.  Good info - thanks for the tip!

rak2

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Original Poster here...  Have been out of touch for quite a while as Dad was ill and has now passed away.  Now have a little more time to see if we can find a home for his distributor. 

Please let me know if you have a project that can make good use of it.

kesslerra@comcast.net

• 2 years later...