The 2018 - 2500 Challenge

JohnD1956

1 hour ago, EmTee said:

How are the new tires & wheels performing?

The tires and rims are better than I expected.  But it's hard to describe.  My old tires were already radials, so the change over from  bias to radial is not part of this discussion.  But my old tires were bought in 2008.  And even though they showed no signs of deterioration or dry rot, I still felt uneasy whenever  I took the car out.  So part of my answer is I just have more confidence with the new tires.  But besides that, there is a noticeable smoothness to the ride now, which I can only attribute to the tires and rims. 

In short, this was money well spent. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2018 at 9:26 PM, JohnD1956 said:

Added a hundred miles for a total of 1,300 toward the goal.  It sure has been nice to reconnect with this car. 

All right John! Glad you are enjoying the rides, it is special, oops! In your case SUPER! ?

After you starting this challenge having posted I was able to drive about what you are at now, I might have to concede you are beating me but don't count me out yet!

I managed today to gather a few more miles somewhat in desperation but mostly because I needed to feel the road again in her.

Started out at this.

IMG_3595.thumb.JPG.030b5c19db513f3ba77b838e94116108.JPG

The show wasn't far fortunately.

IMG_3598.thumb.JPG.ee05f31fccbf496694f43438e9ce1dcf.JPG

Nice afternoon all in all.

Finished at this.

IMG_3602.thumb.JPG.4154e03494d131581e73b42be435f507.JPG

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

It's not me against you or vice versus.  It's about all of us supporting each other towards our individual goals.  That's all. 

I know my good sir. I just got caught up in last years success and figured things would be no sweat to 2500 miles.

Rolling with things as they come and who knows, might get there yet!

• Like 1

My gas tank is not back in yet but with having everything in my other garage, will be doing the work there as my wife is wishing to have her parking spot back again.

Decided after work last night to fill the temporary cans and take a ride out to my sisters place as she and husband are fixing the place up to list for sale. 

The trip there and back was the usual thumbs up from the crowd (that cared) and returned after dusk so only put 15 miles on for now.

974463773_1958BuickSpecial-Aug302018-lastridewithcans.thumb.JPG.30ca7facb8b9d84183133bf82fa6d9b3.JPG

IMG_2941.thumb.JPG.2a681ae70e7aa21a5574f711c7677b06.JPG

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 2

It was a cool morning with clouds and light rain, so Maja and I went for a long ride.  Started at 49,964 and made it through the 50,000 mark to 50,056 for a total of 92 miles.  Just out seeing the scenery in Texas.  Saw Deer, raccoons, Buzzards , lots of cows and a dead possum.  Total so far in this challenge is 1489 miles.

Here we are at the 50,000 mark and also one of the Texas roadside markers that we found interesting.

IMG_2326.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

• Like 4

As of this Labour Day Monday, I have the renewed gas on and a full tank of high test (as we used to call it) so I am back in the Challenge (so to speak).

Made it to a local annual show parked beside my new friend Tony's Special.

Thought it made a nice display.

IMG_3656.thumb.JPG.fa687212f41b2f5c1be8000fe4fbbabe.JPG

Will post the miles accomplished to date on the next fill up.

• Like 5

Knowing I have some miles to catch up on 'the Challenge' I took the opportunity to take the Special and my wife to the weekly Wednesday night Cruise-in. Hung around after dinner till the sun went down which was perfect top down weather.

IMG_3663.thumb.JPG.f85c59d9e8fec0d47c00b6144699ec35.JPG

Will be posting miles to this point soon as I find my gas receipts with the mileage I recorded starting this year.

• Like 1

At the end of the day today had to go to the garage with the Special and wrote down the current mileage.

Did a little math and it appears that so far this year I have managed to drive 905 miles so far.

Considering I did 1,100 last year and all the fuel issues and delay getting the tank back on earlier, thinking that another 1600 miles might be doable yet...?? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In anticipation of driving out to an annual Fall Apple Blossom event Sunday I needed to top up the tank. Curious coincidence when stopping as the gas started to overflow out the low fill tube, the dial showed it was $58 and 58 cents...

Not a big trip at all but the trip odometer reads 811.9 miles now.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Doug, come on down to South Texas for the Regional meet.  Round trip you should exceed your 2500 miles ?

Yes Bill that indeed would put me over the challenge with the return trip!

I just Googled it and shows for me it is 1,488 miles to get there alone.

That would be quite a trip and not a bad time of year to travel weather wise but... let me get that transmission swapped out first and thanks for the invite! ?

Who knows, for now there is always next year?

The odometer rolled over again, so I'm about 3000 miles this year. I still have another 250 projected, plus some unknown street hours, by the end of the year. 

What is everyone's gas mileage (if they're counting)? I've been getting 15-18 mpg on the highway, depending on conditions (driving 80, going up and over the pass, driving across a long valley, etc).

• Like 3

Well, the '91 Reatta is officially in storage as of 10/6/18 and won't come out until 4/1/19.  Was only able to clock 845 miles this season...never got the chance to drive outside of MA this year. 

1 hour ago, DShip said:

Well, the '91 Reatta is officially in storage as of 10/6/18 and won't come out until 4/1/19.  Was only able to clock 845 miles this season...never got the chance to drive outside of MA this year. 

That's OK, it still had some exercise keeping things in order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, old-tank said:

That's real good for a 322.  What rear gear ratio in yours?

3.23 gears. I know it's supposed to be 3.36, but I couldn't find workable 3.36 gears. It actually worked out because the 225/75R15 tires I run are calibrated spot on with the 3.23 gears. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beemon said:

3.23 gears. I know it's supposed to be 3.36, but I couldn't find workable 3.36 gears. It actually worked out because the 225/75R15 tires I run are calibrated spot on with the 3.23 gears. 

So you will be essentially the same as 3.36 with stock 760-15 tires.  And now I don't have to ask the next question which was accuracy of odometer.  Mine has 3.41 gears and I use a speedometer gear for 3.60 gears to get the speedo and odometer accurate.  My mpg is the same with the 760-15 bias and the 225/75R15 radials (they may roll easier, but the engine is spinning higher).  Mine used to be near 20 mpg using leaded premium at 70 mph.

• Like 2

Put another bunch of miles on the Electra this weekend.  My wife and I put on the Fall Regional down here in Texas.

150 miles of windy, twisty roads. 24 river crossings and 2 cases of driving through the river.

Had lunch at a Biker shop / restaurant and it was funny watching all the bikers drool over the cars, take pictures with the cars while we admired the bikes.

Old Tank was there along with Ben Bruce.  BTW  Ben's stealth hot rod has some serious get up and go.

I will figure milage later but here is a picture of some of the cars that came along to play.

IMG_2151.thumb.jpg.e77cb400e33311eca1cdc9caba8bf79c.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/14/2018 at 9:04 AM, Bill Stoneberg said:

A road picture captured by  a photo team that shoots at 1 corner all the time

Road.thumb.jpeg.378e0eaaea5955c427034bd39731d172.jpeg

On 10/14/2018 at 11:20 AM, Bill Stoneberg said:

Here is Ben's stealth hot rod leaning into a corner....  Good to see you again Ben.

Bens.thumb.jpeg.f615edcea0dc68329ac959009d338ecd.jpeg

2018tour.thumb.jpg.70d7cb03707dc5e756c3157f469331ad.jpg

366 miles this weekend; 4000 miles since June (time to change oil?)

Minimal lean with 1" sway bar.

Averaged <40 mph on the tour; lost power assist due to weak pump and hot fluid on all those S-curves and hairpins.

My kind of "show" with motion!

• Like 8

On 10/14/2018 at 12:20 PM, Bill Stoneberg said:

Here is Ben's stealth hot rod leaning into a corner....  Good to see you again Ben.

Bens.thumb.jpeg.f615edcea0dc68329ac959009d338ecd.jpeg

I couldn't help but notice how the downforce generated by the visor keeps that left front tire planted firmly through the turn!  ;)

• Haha 1

A Sunny Sunday today.  Took the Electra out to see whether creeks looked at after all the rain.  Th picture I posted above is old news, that crossing is clean and navigable.

Went looking for Buffalo, all we saw was a Llama, an Ostrich and a weird horned critter. Have to look it up in a book to see what he was unless one of you know.

At 50,270 today for a total of 1703 miles.  Still a couple of months left in the year though.

Here is the critter I saw just wandering the road behind a cattle guard.

IMG_2180.jpg

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)