The 2018 - 2500 Challenge

JohnD1956

I didn't write down the start mileage as I was so anxious to take advantage of the 80 degree temperature and enjoy the sunshine!

Pulled into the parking lot and spotted this 1958 Dodge Cornet and just had to park beside it.

IMG_3083.JPG.2d04a670b1a73c4ee33e9d6f6120caff.JPG

The car might have been painted but a long time ago and is in pretty nice shape otherwise all original running a flat head 6 cylinder.

Quite the styling differences between the 1958 marques.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Brian_Heil said:

We need an excuse to meet up Dei.  The weather is here and my Buick is ready to go! (and the Wife went to visit her sister, ha)

Brian,

The next time Cardinal95 and 1957BuickJim set up a day you could join the fun as they are in Troy, Michigan just down the road from you. 

I'm hoping to go to Eyes on Design this year (June 17) and might just drive the Special out Jefferson Ave along the Lake. It will only be in the general parking (not in the show) but would be a good place to meet for the day too.

Something to think about.

• Like 2

IMG_0893.JPG.0779a48e58a2e452d9103626dd56b19d.JPG

425 miles total so far.  Tailpipe started rattling.  Always something ?

85 out here today. Everything else working well.  That ethanol free go go juice significantly reduced electric pump use.  Only used it once during hard acceleration on I81 uphill entrance ramp.

• Like 1

Getting an early start on the weekend.

With temps in the middle 80's yesterday and today, planning on attending a car Show 60 miles away. After fuelling up I washed her and cleaned the tires before heading home to park under the wife's shelter for the night in anticipation of our 6:30 morning start.

The trip odometer read 127.5 miles at fill up and will total this trip when home tomorrow night.

IMG_3087.JPG.5b2b33ae204e4aca081bbfd56fe69255.JPG

• Like 2

Full day today getting up at 6am.

The Special weathered the out door parking just fine and started right up like I had hoped she would.

IMG_3091.JPG.460b9d230f56612fa2b70c0fec918f9c.JPG

My wife knew the plan was to run with the top down and fortunately the overnight temps didn't get below 60 so with the heat on and her hooded sweatshirt on too, off we went to meet up with three other cars at the Tim Horton's Coffee shop on the way.

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The Special seems to love the morning cool temps and with high test supplying the 2 barrel carb it felt powerful and comfortable at 60 miles per hour.

Picked up another friend in their '66 Cadillac convert 20 more miles up the road with their top down also and made Chatham in good order with no issues.

IMG_3092.JPG.31c16d0e3a06d4fd4ced394ed4410e8c.JPG

Met a fellow having the red Galaxie 500 on the right and seemed to fit right in with the colour pattern! He said this was his first showing of the car as he had just purchased it a week or two ago and it was a beauty!

It was a nice show which had about 400 vehicles of all kinds (including real antiques) and we stayed for supper at a great Italian Restaurant.

• Like 3

Must mention that part of my reason to make this Show was to meet up with a fellow '58 Buick owner who had looked me up from the Forums and after many emails back and forth, knowing they were coming, I just had to be here with my car too! 

Tony and his wife Sue own a BEAUTIFUL Limited four door hardtop and live three hours away from Chatham.

I almost missed breakfast after meeting them and spending time looking over their car!

IMG_3131.JPG.6aa4259d3d79011afe875ba123080cba.JPG

This was the height for my day, besides the fact the Special performed as well as it did till...

Not a block down the street isn't there a Special four door sedan from Brantford sitting there in her glory!! 

Of all the shows I have been to locally, never has there been more than two 58" (let alone Limited's) and today there were three!!

Needless to say I was in BUICK Heaven!

MAN DO I HAVE TO GET MY BLACK LIMITED ON THE ROAD...

Headed home as a group about 7pm with again no issues for anyone... Thank heavens! 

When I shut the car off in her garage spot the trip odometer read 256.1 making the days mileage total 128.6 miles towards the Challenge.

It was the perfect ending to a fine day!

• Like 2

87 F and a delightful day in Michigan. 

Down to Bakers in Milford, MI to see some buddies. Chuck Sharpe who has a Buick F and a big Model 17 and more Ford Ts than I can count. That’s his green T.   And Bill Anderson retired from Buick and has several early 30s Chevys. A good number of the folks here either work at the Milford Proving Grounds or used to. I’m part of the latter. 

656FE994-451C-4B8A-A69E-DDD5D2A88367.jpeg

• Like 3

Stopped by BillAnderson’s on the way home. I counted 9 cars in his air conditioned barn. Nice. A hoist and 3 storage lifts and a fully appointed shop including a full bath. 

Stopped at at the lake on the way home too. 

81 miles today. 

71667AC0-3EA8-4724-8532-AE735FDCF359.png

• Like 3

Filled up the Special from my last driving to Chatham and back in anticipation to leaving about 4:30 in the morning to go on a two hour drive Saturday to London, Ontario.

Bucket list Car Show hosting some 4,500 cars the newest being 1983.

The Host is reported to be the largest private Cadillac collection in Canada.

Can't wait...

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

4500?  Wow. Take a couple days to even walk past that many.

Ben

Have only one day Ben but will take in as much as possible!

Making sure the camera is charged up and room on the memory card.

As the saying goes, "Film at 11".

• Like 2

Well it must be 11 o'clock as I have a report.

Must have been desperate to knock one off the bucket list with this road trip to a car show.

Wanting to be there close to the 7 am gate opening and a 2 hour drive I was up and opening the garage door by 4:30 AM!

IMG_3151_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.21a11864fe677a083196dd082e8b8b98.jpg

That wasn't the truly desperate part. The fact it was only about 58 degrees and determined to go "top down" is where in hind sight kinda nuts!?

With heat on full blast and fresh hot coffee I was off.

IMG_3152_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.c637cffdf2e66ed90c7a04c1a599efba.jpg

Not much traffic at that hour which was a blessing and the sun eventually came and was able to shed my heavy spring jacket.

IMG_3156_Easy-Resize_com.jpg.7d926d720271a3d56dd144b2906da4da.jpg

It was a fun full day not without some adventure and total distance covered was 244 miles.

For the full story see my thread. Scratch one off the Bucket List.B)

• Like 3

Got down to a cars and coffee this morning with the Electra. More of a sports car event so the Electra stood out a bit from the Lamborghini’s, Ferrari’s, McLaren’s, Jaguar’s and Porsche’s. I did manage to find some friendly American iron. As I was coming back to my car, a 68 Deville convertible had parked next to me and so I had a good chat while we compared lines, both cars are almost identical in length! Only added a little over 20 miles to the total but the weather at the beach was worth it!

E032D4AA-2F98-43D3-A61C-C93BA59BFB70.jpeg

C8A0B362-F23E-4B0F-B6FA-212B73F961F5.jpeg

21CDEAFF-94B6-4D1A-B6BE-EB067B35E048.jpeg

BF6B2359-7F78-4D3E-8CDB-05F86E9C8C39.jpeg

• Like 6

Another 80 miles for me today as I was making sure everything is good to go next week to Denver.  A/C blowing 30 degree air on my wife side / 40 on mine.  No generator issues and we ate lunch in comfort.  Comfort, Texas that is..

932 miles so far and will triple that by the time I get home.  Ought to put me well past the 2500 mark.

I put more miles on this the my wife puts on her car.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_0895.thumb.JPG.45734cdf8364636cfbde55186e0105b0.JPG1,012 miles  Jeepers, better get crackin....

Rebuilding the brake system - may be a little while.

Color sanded and Buffed out the hood (my paint is so freakin tired), refit the whole exhaust system (not used to the 56 ball and socket joint design and it shifted and developed a rattle when over 70 mph since install), new rear shock links (replacing 1983 parts).  Improved all the door weatherstrip seals with some EPDM bead material from HW store until it goes for repaint and correct new door & ws seal goes in

Happy to report ran the car through the 95-98 deg heat past few weeks w no issues.  Temps stayed 220 or below ( measured temp w ir gun shot at sender with needle at end of the safe bar on the gauge) with the HD radiator and 19 inch fan 13 lb cap with AC on.  Checked the gun and thermometers w boiling water/ice as a sanity check.  Temp was at interstate speeds with traffic, up couple mile hills and through town. Stop and go traffic after highway run it got a little warmer, maybe 5 deg but kept it in N vs D while stopped and worked fine.The aftermarket AC  temp cycled mid 40s to 50 at the center vent depending on engine speed.  Cabin went from 135 in hot sun soak stabilizing down to about 75 on max fan.  That's as low as it would get in the sun.  Tinted windshield (that's after brakes) might help a little more. Not take no headliner off - is what it is.

Been running non ethanol gas and have had no vapor lock issues.  Have not had to use electric pump in heat. However it's hard starting (long cranking) cold after sitting more than 2 days even if electric pump primes it.  Overnight, no issue.  Weird beans.  Ethanol gas = quick cold start with approx 15 second electric pump prime + vapor lock when hot. Volatility effect?

• Like 2

Haven't been doing well lately with "the Challenge" since work has been my biggest hold back but...

managed to drive the Special home from her garage today though. It Felt GOOD!

The thing is, I will be out of the race for awhile due to the fact I have decided to FINALLY take the tank off, clean it out, replace the rubber fuel line and likely have to put another fuel pump on...

With the help of my son and time, hope to be back with the challenge soon.

IMG_3403_Easy-Resize_com.thumb.jpg.ca4a5dfdd37a3448a55ddb015e7cce5b.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Way behind in this challenge as work and family have been busy. Took my father on a cruise yesterday so just round 178 miles in the challenge so far, most of them fun. 

Have been battling vapor lock on this car, not sure why it’s become a problem now as it’s never been the past 15 years I’ve owned the car. Stranded me and my father yesterday, but luckily I was on a quiet road and had room to pull over to a safe location (only a short push as it stalled at a red light). After 45 min it fired up and got me home.  It wasn’t a long drive and the car wasn’t being pushed and the temps were around 84 degrees, so not super warm. 

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)

Do you still have winter blend in the tank?

48 minutes ago, dmfconsult said:

Have been battling vapor lock on this car, not sure why it’s become a problem now as it’s never been the past 15 years I’ve owned the car. Stranded me and my father yesterday, but luckily I was on a quiet road and had room to pull over to a safe location (only a short push as it stalled at a red light). After 45 min it fired up and got me home.  It wasn’t a long drive and the car wasn’t being pushed and the temps were around 84 degrees, so not super warm. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, that gas was from last November but it’s non-ethanol 94 octane. I originally thought I was out of gas, but when I filled the tank on the way home yesterday there was about 8 gallons left. 

The same thing happened to me last November on a much cooler day. Both times I had less than half a tank, so it could be a result of old fuel. 

14 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

I'm gonna adjust that back to 1k to account for the over zealous odometer. 

Ha -- I have one of those on my GP!  It reads about 10% high.  I'm pretty certain the radials on it are not quite as large as the original bias ply tires were.

The engine really pulls now! I was doing 5 over on 101 and this Ford pickup pulling a camper trailer ended up playing leap frog with me. Finally I got tired of him and when I went pass him the third time going up hill, we matched speed and then I effortlessly pulled away after putting my foot into it. It really is like a whole new car considering the fact that it's an 8 cylinder now instead of a 6. I couldn't be happier, except maybe for a bottom end and valve train rebuild. :P

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Went for Breakfast Tacos this morning and took the Buick before it gets hot today.

25 or so miles round trip.

I am now at 49950, another 50 miles and I will have 50,000 miles on it.

Started at 48,567  so that is 1,383 miles so far.

Fall driving season is coming soon.

• Like 3