The 2018 - 2500 Challenge

JohnD1956

On 3/17/2018 at 9:04 AM, EmTee said:

You'll be passing by my neighborhood -- let me know if you need a 'wingman'!  ;)

Sounds good!  Was planning to wake er up this afternoon and will get a picture of the mileage.   

There's still 6 inches on the ground here. Enough already!

12 minutes ago, KAD36 said:

There's still 6 inches on the ground here. Enough already!

Currently 15 degrees F here, with ~ 10" of snow, but bright & sunny.  I'm hoping to get both cars out for a run today as long as the roads are clear and dry...

We have highly variable snow depths. The big advantage was the warm February resulted in the thawing of most areas so the current melt cycles are not impacting the roads a lot. 

Anyway, just trying to establish a base so I filled her today @ this reading:

0318181158.thumb.jpg.a491c3029713d727bced18fefafec5a6.jpg

Just 36 miles into the challenge so far. 

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

IMG_0740.JPG.174bcb15622d8fb960c64078128421e9.JPG

Starting mileage.  It got up to about 37 and the roads were dry.  Took it around the country block a few times.   

Both heaters can still kick out 105-110 deg air.  The low speed setting on the heater fan quit as did the reverse light switch.  Both had been temperamental.  Everything else was 100%  I had disassembled the reverse/neutral safety switch twice prior and repaired the contacts.  It may be time to break out the new one already and let it go another 60 years - then my kid can fix it.   But thats off topic :)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, EmTee said:

I'm hoping to get both cars out for a run today as long as the roads are clear and dry...

Ran both Goldie and the GP over the same route this afternoon for a round trip of about 23 miles each.  While driving the GP, I noticed the inspection sticker indicated I had driven it about 800 miles since last May.  I'll have to check Goldie, but I'd expect the mileage to be comparable.  I'll suppose I'll have to add them both together this year to make anything close to 2500 miles...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Nice Ken!  Glad you're in on the challenge.  Also a great day for a ride.  Bet it was nice an toasty inside there what with the new interior and insulation! 

It was very comfortable and smooth - the insulation, padding and carpet were trimmed and glued to ensure all the underseat ductwork remained unobstruced.  The new seat padding is really nice.   My Grandfather used to brag to my Dad about how fast that car heated up.

• Like 2

Went to get the Special this morning. This was only my starting point today as I'll have to check when I filled it up last and this is my 3rd time out.

Using only the trip odometer due to the odometer is stuck.

IMG_2803.thumb.JPG.f2dc5866275c64276191a6fece2102da.JPG

Drove her home to wash the road dust off and clean up the tires.

Just finishing and friend drove up as he was out cruising too in his Riviera.

IMG_2806.thumb.JPG.3f5699cd2574c2dc3071cbc8f000681e.JPG

Then we both went out together for a bit of "see me" cruising.

Later came back home to BBQ and after supper took her back her garage.

It was 58 degrees, had all the windows down and got a few thumbs up on the expressway. B)

IMG_2814.thumb.JPG.8a4099a2698e001afedf9a345c139cb0.JPG

33 miles for the day and a happy camper with the way she performed! :)

• Like 5

I just got back from my trip home last night and clocked 973 miles on the odometer. The bulk of that was the 304 mile way in (I went to I5 since Highway 18 and I405 were packed at 5PM) and 284 mile stretch back to school from home, totaling 588 miles alone. The extra 385 miles came from driving back and forth from Kent to Bonney Lake three times and just overall around town driving. Lots of driving this break.. So many things but not enough time. Anyways, I came back from home the start of this year adding an extra 284 miles, and then another round trip for 568. My total right now, not counting driving around town the last two times or on campus is now 1825 miles. You guys gotta put some more pep in your step! :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Na, Na, Nana, Na :lol::P:) .... but seriously...

I've said it before Ben, You ARE the living example when someone on this Forums asks the question, "What to expect" or "Can one drive an old car as their primary transportation?" More power to you! 

I sound like my Dad now as I write this when I say, I remember when.... :rolleyes:

I went out to Phoenix with my parents my last year of High School looking at possibly going to school for Architecture and the Counselor was asking questions like what living accommodations and transportation I might be considering? I said rather enthusiastically that I owned two 1958 Buick's. ;)

This somewhat sceptical look came on his face for a minute and he asked if I felt it would make it there as it was 2, 200 miles one way. Boastfully I said, "Sure would!"

Now, as it turned out I decided to stay close to home College wise so the 2,200 miles wasn't tested but funny how those nail heads instill both confidence and sometimes frustration (when they are down). 

Aww the "Good Old Days" and that's the point. They were the everyday man's car in their day and today with routine regular maintenance as you are proving, can bring you along many miles in ones life yet.

May you triple the 2500 Mile Challenge here plus many more!

As always, Safe travels.

Doug

• Like 3

7 hours ago, dei said:

triple the 2500 Mile Challenge

I record mileage before and after national meet trips.  Already 3500 miles since returning from Brookfield....expect 3000 round trip to Denver...3 months to make 1000 (doable).

That's on the Blue/White 55...the others probably total another 3000.  (the old iron goes more yearly miles than the daily drivers!)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, old-tank said:

the old iron goes more yearly miles than the daily drivers!

Looking at possible retirement in a few years... :rolleyes:

Health willing, looking at accomplishing what you are now doing Old-Tank! B)

Special Day! 

Kinda went home (long story) but was good in the end.

Started early, 

IMG_2823.thumb.JPG.b9a0238c84b864abb71e2882087cb5b2.JPG

Cruised almost by myself on the Highway,

IMG_2824.thumb.JPG.84436e8427850e7101d6985b4475f6d8.JPG

Visited family and a close friend plus travelled some back roads the car has not been down for many years! 

IMG_2830.thumb.JPG.c864cbf97cc6621681082f05664d1181.JPG

All in all a very satisfying day.

IMG_2855.thumb.JPG.a1ce7a846933515e3618ab3ec15ce08d.JPG

Completed just shy of 85 miles.

• Like 3

On 26/03/2018 at 3:43 PM, Thriller said:

Jealous. 

Don't jealous Derek.

Understanding where you live and the efforts you have made to going the distance to be at National Meets, think you have much satisfaction with the open road miles you and the family have travelled. 

Brought the Special out yesterday and kept it to City driving. Decided to keep her home over night  and after visiting a senior friend today dealt with a plugged fuel filter doing it's job.

Have to check the mileage but the trip odometer read 925.2 when parked her in the garage and spent some time wiping her down like a thorough bred horse out being put through her paces.

IMG_2861.thumb.JPG.4cc2151858953dd2f1cb990560e13d8f.JPG

All was good! ;)

• Like 3

Jealousy isn't the best way to exist, but it's a challenge to get cars ready to go when the show season starts almost immediately as the snow clears and one is limited in time and helpers to bring the old iron in from the country. We are away for 11 days in the first half of May this year making timing a bit tougher yet. 

Ah well, at least some folks have been able to get out and enjoy their toys. 

• Like 1

Saturday I travelled to a different Country. :lol:

Drove through the Detroit/Windsor Tunnel to visit 1957buickjim and 95 Cardinal for the afternoon.

IMG_2890.thumb.JPG.ff84221da2d112026c82213d1b6f49e1.JPG

Spent the afternoon mostly at Jim's.

IMG_2896.thumb.JPG.dfb2ee3db86f87c1b412eee845871176.JPG

Then went over to Joe's to drool over his Caballero! B)

I won't spoil his thread by posting too much, just enough to spike your interests.

IMG_2899.thumb.JPG.52007824ea75f6ad2e9cba80bbf3e347.JPG 

With traffic quiet for a Saturday headed back to the tunnel and once through Canada Customs the remaining 5 miles home.

IMG_2905.thumb.JPG.5ae45f6029733fad6f81b103792de7e2.JPG

Clocked 63 miles towards the Challenge.

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, dei said:

Clocked 63 miles towards the Challenge.

You da lucky guy Dei!  Visits with 57 Buick Jim and 95 Cardinal too!  We have a fresh and heavy load of road salt from a dusting of snow that only stuck to the grass yesterday.  :wacko:

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

You da lucky guy Dei!  Visits with 57 Buick Jim and 95 Cardinal too!  We have a fresh and heavy load of road salt from a dusting of snow that only stuck to the grass yesterday.  :wacko:

Yes John I am lucky and have to thank these Forums for having led me to make new friends who share similar interests! :) 

I highly value this as having experienced "Antique Cars" and the local Club at home as Dad's kid well, like the BCA has discussed, keeping the young generation is an on going issue. But I digress...

As to the weather around here, we all woke up to an inch of snow Thursday morning for me and about two for the guys. Fortunately the sun comes out and by about mid day it disappears. Not Florida like warm but enough to melt the stuff and this time no road salt! 

Your time is around the corner and see you are taking advantage when you can.

Took a 629 mile round trip from Kerrville Texas to Conroe Texas.  I am now at 702 miles since I joined this challenge.

We took back roads on the way and it was a pain towards the end. City traffic on a Friday afternoon.

A cold and rain from came through Friday night / Saturday morning and all the cars got wet and dusty.

They had a garage tour that all the folks had fun on.

The drive home Sunday was straight down the Interstate with cruise control set at 70  Stopped at Buc-ees which is the large car stop / watering hole / gas station.

They boast the cleanest restrooms in Texas and they probably have 100 stalls.  Probably 1 restroom stall per gas pump.

I was glad to get out of the flat Houston area and back into the hills where I live.

I got 13 mpg in the all Interstate part of the drive and 12 mpg for the in town driving.

A few pictures of the drive home.

Wildflowers along the side of the road, Buc-ees and the hills at home.

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 7

18 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

I am now at 702 miles since I joined this challenge

You're my hero Bill!  I have not been able to get the 56 out of the garage in the last two weeks due to the road salt!

BTW,  I love those factory AC vents! 

1 minute ago, old-tank said:

Post 52... Going for triple;).

My apologies Willie...Going for 7500!  All you lucky Texans are my hero's! 

At this rate it may be  July before I can even get my car out again this season!

Big ask for me  John , living on a small island, a long trip is 60 miles  .Have added only 3000 miles on Ruby’s mileometer since I bought her 2 years ago and that’s with quite frequent trips. I am only here 8 months of year and would need to nearly double my driving activity to reach 2500 per annum. Also when you have been coming to same place for 14 years there are very few places you haven’t been.

You guys in States have no excuses , good luck will watch with interest 

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

John: Love the idea. I may or may not make, it but I will have a lot fun trying. This is strictly an activity where the journey is more important than the destination. My '38 is waiting for tis lousy New England weather to go away and bring Spring.

• Like 3

We've had a late end to Winter around here too, now if only the rain would stop!  Both cars are now out of storage and ready to go, and I was able to get the Electra cleaned up an out yesterday, but only could do about a 3 mile shake down due to time constraints.   A slow start, but a start nonetheless!

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I saw all my Buicks in my possession today...that should count for something ;-)

We still have some snow kicking around, although with temperatures predicted to get above 50 later this week (in Yankee-speak), it shouldn't last long...I may still get something started before our trip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 16/04/2018 at 12:42 AM, Pilgrim65 said:

Big ask for me  John , living on a small island, a long trip is 60 miles. 

Also when you have been coming to same place for 14 years there are very few places you haven’t been.

You guys in States have no excuses , good luck will watch with interest 

Here is the thing about that, sure it may be somewhat old for you after all this time but for us that have never been... It's all new!

Don't stop posting pictures. I personally love the scenery and the fantasy of what my car would look like there... B)

• Like 3

Didn't take note of the miles driven Sunday (it will just be added in the total next fill up) but since it was 62 out just had to feel the road again! Can't wait for the top to go down.

IMG_2932.thumb.JPG.bda8610adef3299be588e4329c1bb62b.JPG

Kept her home while BBQing and watched through the front room windows people slowing down to ponder what it is I guess. Then it was time to take her back. 

IMG_2938.thumb.JPG.9f976de02cbaf664140dda1d2cc671a9.JPG

Took the long way making it last as long as I could!

• Like 2