The 2018 - 2500 Challenge

JohnD1956

On 21/04/2018 at 7:20 PM, JohnD1956 said:

with a little help from my friend!

That's a future BCA Member right! :)

Way to start them early!

My guy here is 32 now but wasn't really helping this day.

5addda79f23c9_1958BuickSpecial-David-1990.thumb.jpg.aacb7ff55d37984de0c1162072904d97.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dei said:

That's a future BCA Member right! :)

When he and his brother are here, I always take em to the garage by saying, "Lets go see the Super?"

Then when they get through the doors I ask them to count the portholes, which they accommodate , I,2,3,4, sticking a finger into each one!  Then I ask "wheres the Super" for which they both touch the side script, and the hubcaps, and other parts as look inviting. 

Then I ask ," Where's the GS?"  To which they respond by tracing the trunk emblem letters, and rear script letters.   But they are really fascinated by turning on the parking lights... Oh to be 2 or 3 again!  ^_^

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, dei said:

Didn't take note of the miles driven Sunday (it will just be added in the total next fill up) but since it was 62 out just had to feel the road again! Can't wait for the top to go down.

The middle "child" (he's 20) was hinting yesterday that we should get the 1962 Special convertible back on the road (transmission issue) after seeing a friend's stepfather's BMW convertible. He offered to help so I should get on that. 

• Like 2

On 4/15/2018 at 9:42 PM, Pilgrim65 said:

Big ask for me  John , living on a small island, a long trip is 60 miles  .Have added only 3000 miles on Ruby’s mileometer since I bought her 2 years ago and that’s with quite frequent trips. I am only here 8 months of year and would need to nearly double my driving activity to reach 2500 per annum. Also when you have been coming to same place for 14 years there are very few places you haven’t been.

You guys in States have no excuses , good luck will watch with interest 

Pilgrim, you could always take a boat to the mainland and drive the desert roads! :P I know your neighbors are a little unstable at the moment, but shouldn't be too bad..

Had the Electra out on Saturday, touring a fellow Buick owner from Brisbane Australia who was in town for a few days.  Felt like more miles, but totalled 38 miles of around town driving.  Car behaved well, but I fear it's time for some transmission work as the 1-2 shift is quite late and hard.  At any rate, up to 41 miles so far only.   Odometer reading at the start of this challenge is 77,435 (just so I don't forget!).   One of the best parts of the day was watching people walk right by a brand new Bentley to look over and get photographed with the Big Buick while I watched from a distance!

Edit:  in the spirit of sharing Odometer pictures, here’s a failed shot of mine, Clearly taken from a bad angle!

E1D68DB3-28D3-4CB1-80C2-B350BCECB2E7.jpeg

Edited by dmfconsult (see edit history)
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Beemon said:

Pilgrim, you could always take a boat to the mainland and drive the desert roads! :P I know your neighbors are a little unstable at the moment, but shouldn't be too bad..

Yes , some good roads , drove my explorer through them years back when we first came here , currently though I’d want that 1950s safarie Buick I’ve seen on here kitted out with spare fuel, tyres and a  sub machine gun rack! And instead of my usual Buick tee shirt a Kevlar vest! ?

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

IMG_0890.JPG.4f063c2d4931c6a50d9f5702495ecfca.JPGIn the 80s today, 4736 miles after getting home.  Think it's 100 miles into the challenge or sumthin like that.  Diamondbacks and the new seats made for a relaxing ride.

Rebuilt reverse light switch so that works again. Ran the AC (built it - might as well use it).  New fuel pump plus  electric pump couldn't keep the winter gas from vapor locking up a long hill at 70 but fresh gas did the trick.

Speedometer holding accuracy.  It used to read 10 high.  Used a piece of 22 ga wire insulation over the end of the radial spring end tang on the drum followed by thicknesses of masking tape that increased spring tension sufficiently to get it within dead on to 2 mph (checked w Waze) at highway speeds between 50-75.  Within 2-5 at lower speeds.  Close enough.

4 Brake shoes to fit the drums and a master cylinder kit, next fix.  Keeping eye on trans fluid.

Bodywork correct windshield and paint to go.  Eventually.  But thats gettin off topic :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Gas up Monday. 

0507181355.jpg.36fe9cdbb4d76d21ef075d795ac791eb.jpg

Adding 188 miles bringing me to 425 so far. Haven't got tired of it yet either. ?

I'm presuming you mean the miles and not the gassing up John. :lol:

• Haha 2

I have been a little lax in posting my miles lately since they are mostly local in-town but have recorded the mileage on my gas receipts every fill up so will have total miles accomplished later on.

Meantime, drove out to the first official weekly Cruise-In for this year.

(wished I had taken the time to washer her up...)

IMG_2991.JPG.4ce92fdb55e2c3f8889fd0ef19fb7504.JPG

• Like 1

Needed to go out to the suburbs this evening so jumped in the Electra so I could try and keep up with you guys. Round trip of 70 miles exactly bringing my total to 111 miles so far. 

IMG_4096.JPG

Tried to get the wagon out over the weekend to contribute to the total but the battery is DOA. It’s 9 years old so time to replace it. 

Edited by dmfconsult
math challenged/better picture (see edit history)
  • Like 3

So I made about 60 miles today.  Was going to be 100 but the GEN light came on, so we turned around and drove home.  Looks like the brushes are bad in the generator.  Bad thing about Texas is that you are out of cell phone coverage where I drive.  Good this is the car got me home running on the battery.  Maybe next weekend  I can get a good trip.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

I made exactly 0 miles in the past two weekends.  Then honey-do list is coming to a close and it will be time to roll again.     

I feel your pain!  My list gets added to faster than I can check them off!  New battery goes in the wagon tonight, so perhaps I'll be able to use it to increase my total.

• Like 2

It is Friday and decided to use the Special to complete some weed trimming I had to finish today.

I threw them in the back seat and started at this trip odometer reading.

(ignore the odometer as it is stuck)

IMG_3055.JPG.541e974be2caf82d331d74d1439731b4.JPG

To be cont'd as this is our long Canadian Holiday and hoping for good weather...

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 1

With scattered showers starting had to put the car away. 

Will figure out the actual mileage total for the year later but today was a modest 28.8 miles.

(running with the top down is the goal right now...)

IMG_3060.JPG.1cd940601e26b6997ee609da68416ffb.JPG 

• Like 3

Took Goldie, the GP and my Silverado in for their annual NYS inspections yesterday, as it was my 'off' Friday and the weather was perfect (70* F and sunny).  Approximately 25 miles (round-trip).  Good thing I did, as it's currently raining and looks as though it will be wet the remainder of Saturday and well into tomorrow...  FYI, Based on the mileage recorded on the old inspection sticker, I drove Goldie about 1050 miles over the past year.  The GP registered about 200 more than that, however, that speedometer reads about 10 percent high.

• Like 3

4819 before the rain ruined the fun - about 80 miles past week - 183 miles so far.  Ethanol free is avail in our area at a few more gas stations so filled up with that.  Seems to idle smoother.  Curious if it reduces having to use the electric pump when it warms up outside.

Edited by KAD36 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Gas up MondayGaGassed up because of rising prices.  Looks like a bad year to start this challenge.  But after adding 86 miles this last week I'm looking at 600 miles toward the goal.  

0521182010a.jpg.0109064a93ca7ee60f1d363141d56d59.jpg

• Like 1

Finally was able to get to the wagon today, first drive of the year!  First had to wash the dust off if it... I also asked my son for some help to change out the power lock switch on the passenger door, he jumped right on it and completed the job with very little input from me.  My sons haven’t shown much interest in the cars so I’ll take what I can get.  

Added 32 miles running errands, so my combined total is up to 143... I need a road trip to keep up with you guys!

DA2DE033-C863-4CEB-B98F-EED4C5583D37.jpeg

69D30AE0-BAFB-4E53-B639-CA5624785E89.jpeg

• Like 4

I don't feel so bad being washed-out this past weekend seeing some of the other comments by more modern drivers/cars.

My plan was to drive the 210 mile round trip to the Gilmore Pre WWII Meet in Hickory Corners, Michigan as I did last year.

All week long the forecast was 12% chance of precipitation on Saturday.  Saturday arrives and it rains hard all morning long.  How does that happen Mr. Weather Man?  Last year I drove home from the Gilmore 105 miles in pouring rain for 3 1/2 hours. I've checked that 'Drive-in-the-Rain' box as they say (many times in fact).

The good news is, the Buick is all tuned, lubed, cleaned, waxed, prepped and ready to go.

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Brian_Heil said:

I don't feel so bad being washed-out this past weekend seeing some of the other comments by more modern drivers/cars.

My plan was to drive the 210 mile round trip to the Gilmore Pre WWII Meet in Hickory Corners, Michigan as I did last year.

All week long the forecast was 12% chance of precipitation on Saturday.  Saturday arrives and it rains hard all morning long.  How does that happen Mr. Weather Man?  Last year I drove home from the Gilmore 105 miles in pouring rain for 3 1/2 hours. I've checked that 'Drive-in-the-Rain' box as they say (many times in fact).

The good news is, the Buick is all tuned, lubed, cleaned, waxed, prepped and ready to go.

Being across the Detroit River from you Brian I'm in the same boat as you (so to speak) weather wise. 

Last nights weekly cruise-in was totally washed out and not wanting to put the top up, used the wife's Van to go for dinner anyway with our friends.

It was raining steady when we went to head home and wouldn't you believe it, the key fob wouldn't open the electric locks!! JUST GREAT! 

Asked the wife for her key and... said she left it at home. HUH? You have a purse don't you, what is that for?

So.... remembered why we have kids and sent out an SOS. Or so I thought....

He shows up and... no luck with that fob either??? 

Fortunately (or planned) the fob has a key in it "a key just like the Special door lock uses" which pulls out to manually unlock the drivers door. This is the only lock on the FIVE doors of the vehicle... 

Once inside, finally out of the rain, plugged the fob into the ignition and it started right up and the bloody door locks worked perfectly with both fobs!

Technology, two steps forward and one step backwards. (or is it the other way around....)

Then there is that rain thing.... sigh

23 hours ago, dei said:

Being across the Detroit River from you Brian I'm in the same boat as you (so to speak) weather wise. 

Last nights weekly cruise-in was totally washed out and not wanting to put the top up, used the wife's Van to go for dinner anyway with our friends.

It was raining steady when we went to head home and wouldn't you believe it, the key fob wouldn't open the electric locks!! JUST GREAT! 

Asked the wife for her key and... said she left it at home. HUH? You have a purse don't you, what is that for?

So.... remembered why we have kids and sent out an SOS. Or so I thought....

He shows up and... no luck with that fob either??? 

Fortunately (or planned) the fob has a key in it "a key just like the Special door lock uses" which pulls out to manually unlock the drivers door. This is the only lock on the FIVE doors of the vehicle... 

Once inside, finally out of the rain, plugged the fob into the ignition and it started right up and the bloody door locks worked perfectly with both fobs!

Technology, two steps forward and one step backwards. (or is it the other way around....)

Then there is that rain thing.... sigh

We need an excuse to meet up Dei.  The weather is here and my Buick is ready to go! (and the Wife went to visit her sister, ha)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2