The 2018 - 2500 Challenge

JohnD1956

In the interest of some friendly competition,  everyone is invited to join the 2018 - 2500 Challenge.  A simple game, with no winners or losers.  Pick a vehicle, and post as you progress.  Here’s the proposed rules:

* Pick one of your collector Buicks for the contest. (I’m using my 56 this year.)

* The eligible period is January thru December, 2018. 

* Drive the subject car, and record your mileage, with a sub total in each post.  Frequency of posting is up to you.  Since I record my mileage when I gas up I’m thinking that would be a convenient time for me to post.  But I may post for some extraordinary trips if I take any.

* Keep track of yourself.  And announce when you’ve hit 2500 driven miles for the year!

No prizes awarded,  except the personal satisfaction of using your Buick for what it was intended.

Join at your own risk.  I realize this is not for everyone.

• Like 6

Matt,

I drive my 13 Buick on a lot of tours each year to accumulate only about 1,000 miles on back roads. 

I suppose some late 30s or early 40s cars might do more, but I doubt if they would do it unless they were on a cross country trek.

50 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

The truck does not have a speedometer/ odometer.  Now what?

7 hours ago, Mark Shaw said:

Matt,

I drive my 13 Buick on a lot of tours each year to accumulate only about 1,000 miles on back roads. 

I suppose some late 30s or early 40s cars might do more, but I doubt if they would do it unless they were on a cross country trek.

What's a challenging goal for brass era, and 20's and 30's cars?  Pick you own personal goal and run with that.  There's no monitoring, prizes, or awards here.  Just your own personal satisfaction.  I chose 2500 miles because of a conversation Dei and I had.  That's our goal.  Make up one that works for you. 

• Like 1

Hmm...my challenge is that, except for a trip like the National, I don't tend to drive one car that much. I have too many to exercise. Of course as noted, this is voluntary and for fun. Perhaps I'll make some popcorn and sit back and watch. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

What's a challenging goal for brass era, and 20's and 30's cars?  Pick you own personal goal and run with that.  There's no monitoring, prizes, or awards here.  Just your own personal satisfaction.  I chose 2500 miles because of a conversation Dei and I had.  That's our goal.  Make up one that works for you. 

John, 

I applaud your suggestion & only meant to point out that your 2500 mile goal was not realistic for most prewar cars.  

I really don't need a challenge goal to drive my prewar cars.  I try to drive them all as much as I can without incentives.  The only limitation is safety and the limited opportunities for organized tours designed for older slower cars.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

The only limitation is safety and the limited opportunities for organized tours designed for older slower cars.

I understand totally about the limited opportunities today Mark.

I grew up with Dad owning the 1920 Overland and when he joined our local Car Club in 1967 they had a history of doing two weekend trips per season. After having the motor rebuilt in 1968 we struck out the next year for a trip to Niagara Falls from Windsor, Ontario fully loaded with three kids and the suit cases strapped onto the running boards to attend the Apple Blossom Festival.

5a9c1fed3c243_1920Overland-CarClubTrophy1969-pic1(copy).thumb.jpg.ee246c7148d4875009cd647f95149f37.jpg

Back then there were many side roads, about half not paved, that could be used at the more than comfortable speeds of 30 to 35 miles per hour or so and the gang stayed together to support anyone having a break down.

I believe the trophy Dad is holding was a rotating one awarded to the car most travelled / attending the Clubs organised events presented the end of each calendar year.

The times they have changed...

Just to keep this about Buick's and mileage, if you look closely on the right, that is the '58 Limited Dad gave me as my first car (which sadly is now a parts car). He bought it two years earlier to commute back and fourth 120 miles/day to work for two years as his job had been automated here and he had no choice in order to maintain a job. 

After a job opened up at home I got the car with something like 90,000 miles on her!  <_<

While the car is well rotted out the engine is beating strongly in my Special with having only changed oil every 1,500 miles and replacing all gaskets once.

My teenage days of pushing the cars are long over and I'm hoping to reach the challenge of 2,500 miles on the Special this year and relive the memories!:)B) 

• Like 1

2500 is a lot of driving. I have been averaging 1,000 to 1,200 with my '60 since '03 and I use it a lot. I am just beginning to pick up the usage on the convertible and tempted to drive it out to the Nationals. That's about 3500 for me, although I also am considering selling it when the weather breaks.

I have had years when my Riviera racked up 250 miles. And we were laughing one year when a car had traveled the distance to the inspection station and back. Being older sometimes means all the stuff is running. Then it gets harder.

My '60 Electra probably gets driven about 3 solid hours per week during the good weather to rack up the 1,200 miles. Those are special hours; a long ride on the weekend, a couple trips to town for coffee, stuff like that. If I doubled that...it might not be quite that special any more.

It is Sunday, quiet, and sunny. I must be in savor mode.

Bernie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

My '60 Electra probably gets driven about 3 solid hours per week during the good weather to rack up the 1,200 miles. Those are special hours; a long ride on the weekend, a couple trips to town for coffee, stuff like that. If I doubled that...it might not be quite that special any more.

That's a good point Bernie.   I looked at my records for last year and saw that between the 56, GS and Electra, I racked up around 6,300 miles.  The biggest part was the Electra which I used to go to the National.  I'm not able to drive to the National this year.  So 2500 miles for me may mean forgoing the other cars for many trips. 

Look it, I don't want to stress anyone out over this.  Dei and I challenged each other and then thought; some may find it interesting to go along for the duration.  No one is forced to join in.  But if you kinda want to, but need a different goal, feel free to do so.  Enjoy your cars the way that works for you.  Having fun with old Buicks is really the focus.

• Like 3

It is 285 miles from school to home and I've migrated 2 times already this year and will be heading back for spring break nest Friday. I've already amassed 1140 miles so far with another 570 on the way,  and then of course my trip to Michigan in May if I drive and summer break. 2500 will be easy this year :P

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello, I might take up the challenge, hope to complete the work on my 1949 Super,will have to put at least 2500 miles on it to exceed the amount of time spend underneath and body work on it!!   Interior and some assembly still needed at this writing , also hope snow will be gone and warmer weather soon.I had enough in ERIE,Pa 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Beemon said:

2500 will be easy this year :P

I thought of you after I communicated with John.

You are the living example of using / driving your Buick like an every day vehicle! :D

Anyone asking about doing this should be directed to your thread. 

In any case, let us know the year end tally will you?

Safe travels.

• Like 2

I'll definitely make a tally now after every fill up. I would consider a cost report, however I feel like I would disappoint myself. :P What's the difference between a 1956 Buick and a 2002 Jeep Liberty? 7 Octane.

Edited by Beemon
Don't know where I got dissipation from (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Like the idea.

I've thought about this before when they hand out the Long Distance award at the National Meet for Pre-War.

Always thought they should divide the miles driven by the last two digits of the Pre-War model year to make things a little more fair.

So, a 1941 goes 1500 miles to the meet.  1500/41 = score of 36.6

A 1923 goes 900 miles to a meet.  900/23 = 39.1

The 1923 would have a higher score.

Now, don't get excited.  It was just a thought (I know, how did it feel, right?).  Always thinking of how to get more PW Buicks out on the road.  The Driven Award is a great tool.  Don't want a 1940's owner staying home due to a handicap calculation.

Frankly, I drive my '23 because it's fun, even more fun when others join you along the way or meet you there from other locations.

A friendly suggestion to John is to have owners post some pics of where they went along with their Buick. 

Drove my 1923 well over 2500 with the VMCCA Nickel Tour on top of my BCA National - Lake Michigan Circle Tour in 2017.  Doubt I will match that for 2018.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Beemon said:

What's the difference between a 1956 Buick and a 2002 Jeep Liberty? 7 Octane.

When I am forced to use Ethanol laced fuel I always think about the discussions where in it is stated that today's octane rating is increased by the addition of more ethanol.  I assume that is true, but have never researched the science.  Thus, when I am forced to use ethanol fuels I am always in a quandary about using regular grade or a higher octane grade fuels.

For me it comes down to:  if  I am going to consume the fuel en route, then I go for mid level octane. If I push the cars, only the GS will ping on heavy acceleration. 

If the car will sit with the gas I go for regular grade only.

Oddly, the Queen seems to get better gas mileage on ethanol fuel.  

• Like 1

I am thinking that this is not about the milage you drive as much as it is just getting out and driving your cars. Post where you go, how many miles you have driven, and maybe a picture or two. Where I live its easy to put 100 miles on in an afternoon seeing the scenery.  For Prewar cars, that may be an all weekend excurion.

If you dont make 2500 miles (or maybe 1000 for the older cars/ people) who cares ? You at least got out and drove them, had some fun and helped show folks that old cars are still a viable option.

Have some fun, drive an old car and show us your pictures. Thats really what this thread should be about.

Last time I went out driving it was for the purpose of seeing how tall my car was...

Tall Electra2.jpg

• Like 2

John I really think it depends individually on the engine, not some thing to quantify without knowing every tolerance in your engine. For example, my old engine I could advance timing to 7 degrees and run 87 ethanol and never had issue. This original unrestored engine only likes 5 degrees and 91 ethanol. Granted the two internally are completely different, but I only drive with ethanol and the advertised 9.5:1CR really only favors 91 octane otherwise I get pinging going up steep hills at 40mph.

When I was talking about the difference of 7 octane, I was speaking in terms of ethanol specifically. Ethanol free is expensive and way out of the way for me so I never use it except for special occasions or if it's in my way.

• Like 1

I think I can make that challenge, but I'll have to bend the rules.  I will most likely drive that distance easily this year in my 2015 truck fetching parts.  I don't even open the thread titled "Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend" cause I'll get depressed.  Here's hoping 2019 is the year for burning fuel.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kgreen said:

I think I can make that challenge, but I'll have to bend the rules.  I will most likely drive that distance easily this year in my 2015 truck fetching parts.  I don't even open the thread titled "Raise your hand if you drove at least one old Buick this weekend" cause I'll get depressed.  Here's hoping 2019 is the year for burning fuel.

Fetching parts is for sure a part of the end goal for your car! Having gone many miles with Dad for his cars made for quite some Journeys and have done some with both my boys. :)

I mean look at the country you saw bringing your car up north to Michigan to have her worked on. 

Might make for another interesting thread, "The Journeys Collecting Cars and Parts".

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, dei said:

Fetching parts is for sure a part of the end goal for your car! Having gone many miles with Dad for his cars made for quite some Journeys and have done some with both my boys. :)

I mean look at the country you saw bringing your car up north to Michigan to have her worked on. 

Might make for another interesting thread, "The Journeys Collecting Cars and Parts".

Oh my gosh yes, I've had a ball with my travels to collect parts amd meeting people.  It is also great bonding time with my absolutely wonderful wife. Then pre-war be damned, this car will see 2,500 miles in a year.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kgreen said:

Oh my gosh yes, I've had a ball with my travels to collect parts amd meeting people.  It is also great bonding time with my absolutely wonderful wife. Then pre-war be damned, this car will see 2,500 miles in a year.

I hope indeed you will achieve that goal Ken. :)

I mean, back in the 70's (my early driving days) most yearly every day driving was approximately 12,000 miles/year, which is different than hobby driving naturally, but we are talking less than a quarter of that. Shoot, even if one drove the car 75 miles a week for 30 weeks, given an average season around here, that's 2,250. 

This all came about having a conversation as he stated with JohnD1956 after I said I had driven my Special 1,075 miles last year and he hoped I would do 2,000 miles this year. Then he suggested the challenge for us both to reach 2,500 and then agreed to put it out to you Buick guys.

I like the part about pictures and the stories getting there. Especially Ken if you and anyone else can have the wife along with you. That's a plus right there 2,500 miles or not! :)

By the way, it was me that met you as you drove into the National and came upon the taped off dead end in the parking lot driving your truck and trailer as my wife and I were just unloading the Van. With me being 6'-4" I think I said to you that you were one of the few people who I have to look up to at your 6'-8" (?) height. LOL 

Wished I hadn't missed the Forum gathering at Larry Schramm's truck that night but was off my feet for a bit. 

Now, praying for some break in the weather here as I have only 10 miles on the car so far this year...

Let the good times roll! 

January 28, 2018

IMG_2597.thumb.JPG.b935e6cd5956af03571d6fd86507a339.JPG

• Like 2

Didn't track the actual mileage this time (will leave that for the fuel fill up's) but drove the Special a bit and brought her home to put her to work. (Pleasure and Work is OK).

Put a rope on the trailer hitch and dragged the Limited out for some much needed garage clean up.

IMG_2782.thumb.JPG.5a2e4760f2097d2c8fa3c195e10a95b6.JPG

Can't wait for "Top Down" weather!

• Like 2

Pictures right now hide a thousand sins but it will clean up enough for driver quality.

It's not the original paint and the front fenders I have to put on will need to be painted to match. 

With a life time of collecting parts stock piled I'm chewing away at the work it needs with what I have. The engine rebuild and painting will be the biggest part of this journey. 

Someday...:rolleyes: 

• Like 2

Perfect John!

Is that the original mileage on the car?

I could do that but... unfortunately at the end of the year the odometer will read the same. :(

While the speedometer and the trip odometer work the odometer quit a long time ago. I've been keeping track with fill ups by the trip odometer and recording when it rolls over the 999 mile mark rolling it over to 0.

I need to get it out and rebuilt but going to leave that till next winter for now.

And so your fun begins! 

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY Saturday everyone. :D

Well, it's the original mileage on the car but the engine was replaced with my 70K Roadmaster engine back in 1975. I really do not remember what the odometer said back then but I am certain that there would be at least a 1 on the left, if it had a 6 digit meter

• Like 1

Interesting that you changed out your engine too with your higher end Buick also.

That's exactly what I did with the Special and the now parts car Limited. ;)

5aac957cd8e91_1958BuickLimited-Feb201983-enginetrany@145000miles-pic1-copy.jpg.c3100f9d3c5906648b78f55a2d2afb62.jpg

I basically cleaned it up, put new valve cover and pan gaskets on, along with new water crossover gaskets, painted it and have topped it with oil as needed ever since spring of 1983.

5aac968bacf4e_1958BuickLimited-April1983-eniginecleanedin58Special-pic1-Copy.thumb.jpg.a9bd4e45453332ddab016ef11b4517dd.jpg

I did change the intake for the two barrel instead of the four barrel but with the high mileage on the engine didn't figure it would hurt. 

Edited by dei (see edit history)

On 3/15/2018 at 10:00 PM, KAD36 said:

First trip will be to Utica when the snow quits!

Ha!  At this rate it'll be July...  :mellow:

You'll be passing by my neighborhood -- let me know if you need a 'wingman'!  ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1