Who's going and showing at Amelia Island?

edinmass

Just wondering who will be attending and showing at Amelia Island this year. We will have a car in the ACD class, and I will be attending the three big auction house previews and the RM sale. Stop by and say hello if your in the neighborhood.

Ed

Bob,

I am the associate editor of the JCNA's Jaguar Journal, and that marque is what I will be focusing on, by commission from my editor, but I have 64 GB of SD cards for my digital camera, so will likely be taking lots of pics and will try to post some of them here. Thanks for asking.

Amelia can be a difficult place for a photographer, as the shadows are so long early (assuming it is not overcast) and once the public is allowed in, the crowds very quickly make taking photos hard, if not impossible.

If you want a funny story, I have a customer/friend who lives on the beach road about a quarter of a mile from the Ritz and for several years, she would allow the ex and I to stay with her during Amelia (until her family members usurped us). I would get up well before dawn and drive past the Ritz to the first beach access parking lot and then walk the quarter of a mile back up the beach to the Ritz. Then I'd go through the hotel, enter the show field in the dark and act like I belonged there. (This was when I didn't have media credentials.) I would always have a paid ticket in my pocket and was never challenged. Did this for three or four years.

I made the mistake of admitting this to Bill Warner one year when we ran into each other at the Daytona 24 Hours and sure enough, the next year they closed that beach access lot so my subterfuge was no longer possible!

There's nothing like being on the Amelia show field in the darkness, watching the sky lighten and the sun come up as the cars enter to populate the grounds. it's the best time to hook up with vehicle owners as well, as after the crowds thicken, they're usually nowhere to be found.

Amelia is so special but for me it's a victim of its success. From Atlanta, going and coming and commuting from Kingsland where I stay now because it has become so expensive to stay on the island, it's 20+ hours of travel time for me vs. maybe four-five hours on the show field. This may be my last trip to the show, after perhaps a dozen, as much as I hate for that to be the case.